How Cold and Wet Does It Have To Be Before you Cancel A Bike Ride?

-10F is my limit. Colder than that (it is today) and I go to the club to exercise. If it's warmer than that I'll ride. Outside.

[COLOR= #0000ff]Digibud...[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Three words: Oh. My. God!!!!!!!!!! The only thing I can think of is that the cold froze all your brain cells, lol. [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]You're a far better man than I am, D.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Sierra[/COLOR]

Well, I wasn't out riding today but I was out xc skiing. It was -14C or 7 F: and at one point I had sweat running down my temples (and I had a hat on too). Just goes to show that if you dress properly and keep moving you won't be cold - it also helps if you are a crappy skier like me and waste a lot of energy.

Hey Digibud - the North Pole isn't in Alaska. I believe it's international territory although it is closest to Canada's land. I think the Magnetic North Pole is located in Canada's territorial waters.

WOW digibud...

You are hard core...All you cats riding in them Pic's are for that matter. I am spinning on the rollers and its 19 degrees out here in NJ.

Spring will be here in a few short Months, I HOPE.

Cheers

I'll ride down to about 25 F if the sun is out. Rain only if is 60 or above. I don't ride with thunder/lightning, and I really don't like the wind, but can usually map a ride that minimizes the wind. I don't ride on snow/ice either- is simply too dangerous.

It is all about the riding gear, and SierraSlim there is nothing that says you have to buy gear that is "bike specific." Wicking base layers don't have to be $50 each made by ArmorAll (I get mine at Meijer for $10 and they work great). Watch for cycling shorts on sale/clearance and don't forget about retailers like LLBean - who has a great selection of affordable bike gear. Hat and gloves you already have as well as a scarf from your closet will keep you warm. I'm sure my LBS doesn't like to hear it, but when I can buy the same thing elsewhere that isn't designated for cycling, at a fraction of the price, I do.

Now some things cycling specific really are worth the cost. I fully appreciate cycling jackets and jerseys due to the longer tail, elastic bottom and rear pockets. Clipless pedals/cleats are great when you get to that point, but in the meantime a pair of your favorite shoes work fine. Cycling gloves are nice too, but I started out wearing a pair of baseball batting gloves and they worked fine.

Keep riding!

[COLOR= #0000ff]Thanks, Rawheit,[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]I'll remember that! I got a less-expensive jersey and jacket at REI on sale, and I do like the longer tails in back for coverage, but I'm not wild about how 'vinyl' they feel. I don't know if that's necessary for the breathability, or if I just need to find a different brand. I will definitely check out LLBean. I'm slowly but surely figuring out what to wear in what weather; guess it just takes practice![/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Sierra[/COLOR]

Dunno..............cold, hot, light, dark, dry, wet, windy, calm same same - RIDE!

When I bicycle commuted, I'd ride no matter what the weather. I think my coldest ride to work was -10F or thereabouts. For recreational rides, though... it has to be above freezing at ride start, and dry.

I rode in both rain and cold last week and did fine. It was 35 degrees both rides on the weekend. I did not ride this morning, not because it was too cold, but because it was very windy. Cold and wind tend to get me sick.

yea this year I've basically ridden through anything, storm, light snow and rain haha. Although i wish i had better gear, all of my rides ends with my hands and toes being completely numb. Where i live now though it doesn't get too cold, but back in montreal the winters are harsh. Im considering maybe trying to bike in winter when i return... though that would probably mean getting another bike just for that haha...

I don't know... the older I get, the harder it is to ride in cold weather... I have developed cold induced asthma, so if it's below 45• I have a hard time breathing. It's funny but I don't have that problem running... so I run during the winter as much as I can...

If it's a training session and it's lashing down and around freezing then I'll ride on the trainer. In town I see too many people driving around with fogged up windows. I don't fancy being the deliverer of brain soup on someone's windshield. Besides - I get a better workout when I can breathe and riding outdoors fairly hard in freezing weather can give me breathing issues. If it's an event or a ride that I've been looking forward to and/or paid for, there'd have to be a fair amount of sheet ice in the road before I'd consider not riding. Excessive wind, ice or hail are the only things that'll keep me from riding an event.

19° F is the coldest temperature I've ridden in this winter...two times. About 1-1/2 hours ride time, each.

I ride in light drizzle, mist, etc. during summer rides, but I try to avoid downpours.

I love riding in the summer rain, when it does rain in the summer that is! it's about the only time that riding in summer during hours other than 6am are tolerable. In a 300km ride a couple of years ago, it rained that hard for most of the afternoon that a few miles of road had so much water it was deeper that my AM classic CR420 front wheel - but when you're out in the boonies there's no point in stopping. Just be thankful for good tires and mudguards.