How cold is too cold?

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by SpokeGal, Nov 28, 2007.

1. PartisanRanger

PartisanRanger New Member

The lowest I've ridden in is 24 degrees Fahrenheit. My gloves and shoes covers weren't much help.

2. Scotttri

Scotttri Member

I've ridden in -5 degrees celsius, but find the cold air hirts my lungs so try to avoid it. I live in a much warmer place now so dont have the problem anymore

3. Felt_Rider

Felt_Rider Active Member

4. buckybux

buckybux New Member

I live in Spokane. I have ridden as cold as 20 F degrees. I have toe covers, tights, thick jersey, long sleeved T, and wind breaker. However, I can only handle about 10 miles in the cold. I typically ride every month of the year, but I don't ride when the roads are icy or have snow on them.

5. Fujiman

Fujiman New Member

I once had a science teacher tell me “There is no such thing as cold just an absence of Heat” :confused:

Anyway, I rode yesterday with the temp about 30 deg F with strong winds and was not really cold at all, maybe because I was working so hard to get home against the wind:eek:

6. Bailsibub

Bailsibub New Member

I commuted to work for years, year round, in the Washington DC area. The coldest it gets is like 5 to 7 F (for one day or so) in the winter. You can definitely dress for and ride in those temperatures, but the problem with it is if you have a mechanical. You could get into some problems very quickly standing there in the cold. I rode in those temps because I had no other option, but if I just needed to train, I definitely would have been on the turbo.

7. likes to ride

likes to ride New Member

Rode with a group yesterday with the temp at 26 degrees. You just need to dress right. If you dress right it really is not that bad.

8. pat5319

pat5319 New Member

I went 20 years without a car in Spokane. If you dress in layers, avoid cotton, have vents for excess heat ( armpits and/ or a "breathable back and perspiration, a good wind shield for your chest, warm shoes and good gloves somewhere below zero is attainable. I found a single speed or internally geared hub best, and studded tires are nice for ice., wool and/or 2 sets of tights are all right

Remember skiers ski in the cold- why not ride? both are exercise

I even used to use German army pants and Sorel boots in really cold weather, (from The General Store,on division). Lobster gloves ( 3 fingered) wool or combination wool/polyester long underwear, wool jerseys and sweaters ( u can find pretty decent sweaters at thrift shops, baggies over socks/toes, I even commuted to and from Cheney

I have a friend who rode to Mt Spokane to go "skinny skiing" in below zero temps
    and I rode form Spokane to the top of Snoqualmie Pass when I moved to Seattle late one December, I even camped out on the trip

Do it, try stuff till you find what works for you

Talk to the guys in shops who ride all year like Dave Tomas or Tom at Two Wheel Transit

I can't recommend a a "degree limit" you have to find that for yourself