How come I never see a cyclist with listening to music with an mp3 player?

You know, I first thought you hadn't had your coffee yet and so you were a little ill-disposed toward the rest of us. Now I see that you're simply a complete ignoramus. A motorcycle is not a 600-pound "cushion" by any stretch of the imagination. All things being equal, one would prefer to be on the bicycle because its own heft is far less likely to cause problems. The only factor that levels the playing field is that on a motorcycle the rider would be wearing full leathers, probably with some armor, instead of lycra. That's about it.

My point was simply that riding smart and always being hyper-aware of 4-wheeled vehicles (in motorcycling we fondly call them "cages") are far, far more important than whether one's ears are partially blocked.

jimmer23 said:
100+ mph on anything and you're playing with fire no matter how "good" or "aware" you are. Sorry to hear about your accident, but back to the topic - you'd be infinitely better off on a motorcycle in a 25mph crash with a car than on your bicycle. Your comparison was completely irrelevant. Just say no to drugs son.

You morons need to read the Jim Price threads: http://www.cyclingforums.com/t301831-im-hoping-we-didnt-just-lose-a-member.html

I feel sick after reading that we have lost Boudreaux. Although most of you are probably mentally disabled, we simply don't need another tragedy. Why would any of you CHOOSE to do something so obviously detrimental as wear an iPod when you are up against 2 ton SUVs on the road. I'm sure you could skydive in a straightjacket too (pulling the ripcord with your teeth of course - it's perfectly safe) but hell if I would try it. Try to ACT smart at least.

Having been in several altercations on a bike over the years. It's easy to walk away from most if your keep your head about you. T-bone comin', you gonna hit then now stopped car. Get sideways, absorb the impact with the whole body, done it a couple times in the rain and rode away both times. Otherwise go for gold in getting over the car. I saw a buddy launch out of his clippless pedals, go over the hood like it was a piece of gym gear and land on his feet on the other side. So many people make the mistake of hold on to the bike. It's a piece of gear toss it. You'll never see a moto racer holding on to his ride.

The secret to traffic riding is to always give yourself a couple options of escape. Riding where they want you to eliminates those choices, that's why I take the lane, and am the fastest thing in traffic. I accelerate faster, brake faster and have better bead on the lay of the land.