How come the same foods eaten at different points of day yield dramatically different results?

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Scott, Feb 4, 2004.

  1. Scott

    Scott Guest

    Hi:

    I am a little baffled about the way my BG reacts daily. Here is the scenario. I generally check my
    BG 3 times a day, when I wake up, when I get home from work (around 4) and before bed.

    I have determined that my morning numbers are a function of the bedtime numbers….however, during
    the day, between 11-1pm…it seems, I can eat just about whatever I want and 3 or so hours later, my
    BG is at 70-75. Now, I am not so lucky at night. If I eat 2 slices of pizza at lunch, I get a
    number of 75 or so when I get home from work (3 – 4 hours later)…I know it is not the 2 hours later
    as normal but this is just an experiment. If I eat two slices of pizza around 6 pm…then at 10 pm it
    is never lower than 170.

    Why is it that my body seems to be able to handle food in the middle of the day, but the rest of the
    day, it does not?

    Any insight?

    Thanks…

    Scott

    PS- my HbA1c when first diagnosed in October was 7.1% my numbers this month came back at 5.5% and
    right now, my average BG readings are hovering around 125.

    Tags:

  2. Colleen

    Colleen Guest

    "Scott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi:
    >
    > I am a little baffled about the way my BG reacts daily. Here is the scenario. I generally check my
    > BG 3 times a day, when I wake up, when I get home from work (around 4) and before bed.
    >
    > I have determined that my morning numbers are a function of the bedtime numbers..however, during
    > the day, between 11-1pm.it seems, I can eat just about whatever I want and 3 or so hours later, my
    > BG is at 70-75. Now, I am not so lucky at night. If I eat 2 slices of pizza at lunch, I get a
    > number of 75 or so when I get home from work (3 - 4 hours later).I know it is not the 2 hours
    > later as normal but this is just an experiment. If I eat two slices of pizza around 6 pm.then at
    > 10 pm it is never lower than 170.
    >
    > Why is it that my body seems to be able to handle food in the middle of the day, but the rest of
    > the day, it does not?
    >
    > Any insight?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Scott
    >
    > PS- my HbA1c when first diagnosed in October was 7.1% my numbers this month came back at 5.5% and
    > right now, my average BG readings are hovering around 125.

    Great A1c! You probably metabolize the carbs differently because your activity level changes. Are
    you sedentary after dinner? Most people are more active during the day and at work so might burn
    more carbs. c

  3. Cindy Wells

    Cindy Wells Guest

    Part of it may be activity level. (Do you sit and watch TV or read when you are at home, while you
    move about at work?)

    Another factor may be your body's hormone amounts (the diurnal cycle). (While most experience
    problems more bg problems in the morning, I wouldn't exclude it from consideration. Unfortunately,
    there are few ways of combating it other than avoiding that meal at that hour since it doesn't work
    for you (at least for those on oral meds with d&e or diet and exercise alone.) Cindy Wells

  4. Jennifer

    Jennifer Guest

    Insulin resistance isn't constant.

    Different things can affect it. Activity, hormone levels, etc.

    You've learned that you are likely less IR in the middle of the day, and more so at night.

    That's why it's all YMMV.

    Jennifer

    Scott wrote:

    > Hi:
    >
    > I am a little baffled about the way my BG reacts daily. Here is the scenario. I generally check my
    > BG 3 times a day, when I wake up, when I get home from work (around 4) and before bed.
    >
    > I have determined that my morning numbers are a function of the bedtime numbers….however, during
    > the day, between 11-1pm…it seems, I can eat just about whatever I want and 3 or so hours later, my
    > BG is at 70-75. Now, I am not so lucky at night. If I eat 2 slices of pizza at lunch, I get a
    > number of 75 or so when I get home from work (3 – 4 hours later)…I know it is not the 2 hours
    > later as normal but this is just an experiment. If I eat two slices of pizza around 6 pm…then at
    > 10 pm it is never lower than 170.
    >
    > Why is it that my body seems to be able to handle food in the middle of the day, but the rest of
    > the day, it does not?
    >
    > Any insight?
    >
    > Thanks…
    >
    > Scott
    >
    > PS- my HbA1c when first diagnosed in October was 7.1% my numbers this month came back at 5.5% and
    > right now, my average BG readings are hovering around 125.

  5. Batezee

    Batezee Guest

    Forgive my ignorance Jennifer, YMMV?

    David T1 etc

    > That's why it's all YMMV.
    >
    > Jennifer

    Heavily snipped to save space heh heh!

  6. Jennifer

    Jennifer Guest

    Your Mileage May Vary. ; )

    Jennifer

    Batezee wrote:

    > Forgive my ignorance Jennifer, YMMV?
    >
    > David T1 etc
    >

    >>That's why it's all YMMV.
    >>
    >>Jennifer
    >>

    > Heavily snipped to save space heh heh!

  7. Scott

    Scott Guest

    "Colleen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Scott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi:
    > >
    > > I am a little baffled about the way my BG reacts daily. Here is the scenario. I generally check
    > > my BG 3 times a day, when I wake up, when I get home from work (around 4) and before bed.
    > >
    > > I have determined that my morning numbers are a function of the bedtime numbers..however, during
    > > the day, between 11-1pm.it seems, I can eat just about whatever I want and 3 or so hours later,
    > > my BG is at 70-75. Now, I am not so lucky at night. If I eat 2 slices of pizza at lunch, I get a
    > > number of 75 or so when I get home from work (3 - 4 hours later).I know it is not the 2 hours
    > > later as normal but this is just an experiment. If I eat two slices of pizza around 6 pm.then at
    > > 10 pm it is never lower than 170.
    > >
    > > Why is it that my body seems to be able to handle food in the middle of the day, but the rest of
    > > the day, it does not?
    > >
    > > Any insight?
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > >
    > > Scott
    > >
    > > PS- my HbA1c when first diagnosed in October was 7.1% my numbers this month came back at 5.5%
    > > and right now, my average BG readings are hovering around 125.
    >
    > Great A1c! You probably metabolize the carbs differently because your activity level changes. Are
    > you sedentary after dinner? Most people are more active during the day and at work so might burn
    > more carbs. c

    I am definitely less active after dinner, but I can not say that I am super active at work.
    Nowadays, I walk the stairs and get up to take some walks around the office. But that would never be
    the substitute for any gym type of exercising.

    Maybe that is the case, after one of these dinners, I will take a walk for about 10-15 minutes...see
    what that does. Is there a time in which it is best to walk? Immediately after eating? 1 hour after?

    Thanks! Scott

  8. Jon Kaplan

    Jon Kaplan Guest

    Scott wrote:

    > Maybe that is the case, after one of these dinners, I will take a walk for about 10-15
    > minutes...see what that does. Is there a time in which it is best to walk? Immediately after
    > eating? 1 hour after?

    I find pizza is pretty slow so I'd wait an hour or two. Of course, YMMV.

    It could also be more that the walking. At work you have to at least sit up at your desk and move
    around some. At home you can just sink into the couch in front of the tube.

    Jon

  9. Colleen

    Colleen Guest

    I find taking even a 10 minute walk after dinner can keep my BG in line. I have had excellent
    control for over a year now so I can eat more carbs than when first diagnosed I just can't do it all
    the time and must exercise to cover them. It's a learning curve and you'll get the hang of it
    eventually if you keep posting and use reasonable advice between what you gather from here and what
    the medicos tell you.

    Welcome to the world of juggling diabetes. It can be a real circus. c

    "Colleen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Scott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi:
    > >
    > > I am a little baffled about the way my BG reacts daily. Here is the scenario. I generally check
    > > my BG 3 times a day, when I wake up, when I get home from work (around 4) and before bed.
    > >
    > > I have determined that my morning numbers are a function of the bedtime numbers..however, during
    > > the day, between 11-1pm.it seems, I can eat just about whatever I want and 3 or so hours later,
    > > my BG is at 70-75. Now, I am not so lucky at night. If I eat 2 slices of pizza at lunch, I get a
    > > number of 75 or so when I get home from work (3 - 4 hours later).I know it is not the 2 hours
    > > later as normal but this is just an experiment. If I eat two slices of pizza around 6 pm.then at
    > > 10 pm it is never lower than 170.
    > >
    > > Why is it that my body seems to be able to handle food in the middle of the day, but the rest of
    > > the day, it does not?
    > >
    > > Any insight?
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > >
    > > Scott
    > >
    > > PS- my HbA1c when first diagnosed in October was 7.1% my numbers this month came back at 5.5%
    > > and right now, my average BG readings are hovering around 125.
    >
    > Great A1c! You probably metabolize the carbs differently because your activity level changes. Are
    > you sedentary after dinner? Most people are more active during the day and at work so might burn
    > more carbs. c

  10. Batezee

    Batezee Guest

    Many Thanx

    David

    --
    "That Damn Butterfly" "Jennifer" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    berlin.de...
    > Your Mileage May Vary. ; )
    >
    > Jennifer
    >

    > Batezee wrote:
    >
    > > Forgive my ignorance Jennifer, YMMV?
    > >
    > > David T1 etc
    > >

    > >>That's why it's all YMMV.
    > >>
    > >>Jennifer
    > >>

    > > Heavily snipped to save space heh heh!

  11. Julie Bove

    Julie Bove Guest

    "Scott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi:
    >
    > I am a little baffled about the way my BG reacts daily. Here is the scenario. I generally check my
    > BG 3 times a day, when I wake up, when I get home from work (around 4) and before bed.
    >
    > I have determined that my morning numbers are a function of the bedtime numbers..however, during
    > the day, between 11-1pm.it seems, I can eat just about whatever I want and 3 or so hours later, my
    > BG is at 70-75. Now, I am not so lucky at night. If I eat 2 slices of pizza at lunch, I get a
    > number of 75 or so when I get home from work (3 - 4 hours later).I know it is not the 2 hours
    > later as normal but this is just an experiment. If I eat two slices of pizza around 6 pm.then at
    > 10 pm it is never lower than 170.
    >
    > Why is it that my body seems to be able to handle food in the middle of the day, but the rest of
    > the day, it does not?
    >
    > Any insight?

    Many things affect our BG. Food is but one. For most of us, the body is the most insulin resistant
    in the morning. This is why many of us are not able to handle as many carbs then as we could for
    lunch or dinner. What you eat is important too. Eat a meal that is high in fiber, and has some
    protein and fat, and your numbers will probably be good, so long as you don't eat more carbs than
    your body can handle. Pizza is notorious for causing a spike later than you'd expect it, often
    around the 3-4 hour mark. But it also depends on what you eat on that pizza. I dislike meat on a
    pizza, so when I eat it, I eat only veggies or just cheese. Sometimes this works for me. Sometimes I
    get a spike at the two hour mark. I also think it depends what else is in the pizza. There could be
    more sugar in the crust than I realized, or sugar in the sauce. I've even heard of some places
    spraying a sugar solution on their food so that it browns more quickly.

    Other things that affect BG are activity level, stress, illness, hormone levels and lack of sleep.
    For me, on a typical day, my busiest time is between lunch and dinner. If I'm going to have a hypo,
    this is probably the time when it will happen. I don't know what you do for a living, but if you are
    active at your job, this may well explain your numbers.

    --
    Type 2 http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

  12. Blkbear

    Blkbear Guest

    On 4 Feb 2004 11:15:44 -0800, [email protected] (Scott) wrote:

    >I am definitely less active after dinner, but I can not say that I am super active at work.
    >Nowadays, I walk the stairs and get up to take some walks around the office.

    And it's good that you get up from your desk from time to time during the day, a lot of
    people don't.

    >But that would never be the substitute for any gym type of exercising.

    Does not have to be gym type exercise. You are more alert, and active when at work or running
    errands than at home, after dinner on avg. Your body starts to slow down in the evenings, getting
    you ready for bed and to sleep. So once you head off to dream land, you body can focus on the day to
    day chores it does all day long, building and repairing, and like a computer, it does not have to
    deal with keeping your awake and alert.

    Your body also has to store glucose to get you up in the morning, and well the monitor that
    regulates this, does not work like it should, so morning you in this case, get a higher BG reading,
    some may have to do with what you had for dinner or snack before bed, and some may be due to the
    "dawn phenomenon" a lot of diabetics have.

    >Maybe that is the case, after one of these dinners, I will take a walk for about 10-15
    >minutes...see what that does.

    Yes a walk before and or after dinner may very well be a good idea for you.

    >Is there a time in which it is best to walk? Immediately after eating? 1 hour after?

    Personal choice here I have a feeling. When eating out and the weather is nice, I take a walk right
    after I leave the resturant. If I plan to do more than 20 to 30 mins of walking, I wait a little
    while, maybe half an hour. And if I plan to go to the gym after eating, I wait at least an hour to
    an hour and a half. For me it just helps stave off feeling *urpy*, as I might get if I were to start
    exercising with a full stomach.
    --
    Terrell
    type 2, dumped the metformin