How come the same foods eaten at different points of day yield dramatically different results?

Scott

Guest
Hi:

I am a little baffled about the way my BG reacts daily. Here is the scenario. I generally check my
BG 3 times a day, when I wake up, when I get home from work (around 4) and before bed.

I have determined that my morning numbers are a function of the bedtime numbers….however, during
the day, between 11-1pm…it seems, I can eat just about whatever I want and 3 or so hours later, my
BG is at 70-75. Now, I am not so lucky at night. If I eat 2 slices of pizza at lunch, I get a
number of 75 or so when I get home from work (3 – 4 hours later)…I know it is not the 2 hours later
as normal but this is just an experiment. If I eat two slices of pizza around 6 pm…then at 10 pm it
is never lower than 170.

Why is it that my body seems to be able to handle food in the middle of the day, but the rest of the
day, it does not?

Any insight?

Thanks…

Scott

PS- my HbA1c when first diagnosed in October was 7.1% my numbers this month came back at 5.5% and
right now, my average BG readings are hovering around 125.

"Scott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi:
>
> I am a little baffled about the way my BG reacts daily. Here is the scenario. I generally check my
> BG 3 times a day, when I wake up, when I get home from work (around 4) and before bed.
>
> I have determined that my morning numbers are a function of the bedtime numbers..however, during
> the day, between 11-1pm.it seems, I can eat just about whatever I want and 3 or so hours later, my
> BG is at 70-75. Now, I am not so lucky at night. If I eat 2 slices of pizza at lunch, I get a
> number of 75 or so when I get home from work (3 - 4 hours later).I know it is not the 2 hours
> later as normal but this is just an experiment. If I eat two slices of pizza around 6 pm.then at
> 10 pm it is never lower than 170.
>
> Why is it that my body seems to be able to handle food in the middle of the day, but the rest of
> the day, it does not?
>
> Any insight?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Scott
>
> PS- my HbA1c when first diagnosed in October was 7.1% my numbers this month came back at 5.5% and
> right now, my average BG readings are hovering around 125.

Great A1c! You probably metabolize the carbs differently because your activity level changes. Are
you sedentary after dinner? Most people are more active during the day and at work so might burn
more carbs. c

Part of it may be activity level. (Do you sit and watch TV or read when you are at home, while you
move about at work?)

Another factor may be your body's hormone amounts (the diurnal cycle). (While most experience
problems more bg problems in the morning, I wouldn't exclude it from consideration. Unfortunately,
there are few ways of combating it other than avoiding that meal at that hour since it doesn't work
for you (at least for those on oral meds with d&e or diet and exercise alone.) Cindy Wells

Insulin resistance isn't constant.

Different things can affect it. Activity, hormone levels, etc.

You've learned that you are likely less IR in the middle of the day, and more so at night.

That's why it's all YMMV.

Jennifer

Scott wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I am a little baffled about the way my BG reacts daily. Here is the scenario. I generally check my
> BG 3 times a day, when I wake up, when I get home from work (around 4) and before bed.
>
> I have determined that my morning numbers are a function of the bedtime numbers….however, during
> the day, between 11-1pm…it seems, I can eat just about whatever I want and 3 or so hours later, my
> BG is at 70-75. Now, I am not so lucky at night. If I eat 2 slices of pizza at lunch, I get a
> number of 75 or so when I get home from work (3 – 4 hours later)…I know it is not the 2 hours
> later as normal but this is just an experiment. If I eat two slices of pizza around 6 pm…then at
> 10 pm it is never lower than 170.
>
> Why is it that my body seems to be able to handle food in the middle of the day, but the rest of
> the day, it does not?
>
> Any insight?
>
> Thanks…
>
> Scott
>
> PS- my HbA1c when first diagnosed in October was 7.1% my numbers this month came back at 5.5% and
> right now, my average BG readings are hovering around 125.

Forgive my ignorance Jennifer, YMMV?

David T1 etc

> That's why it's all YMMV.
>
> Jennifer

Heavily snipped to save space heh heh!

Your Mileage May Vary. ; )

Jennifer

"Colleen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Scott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Hi:
> >
> > I am a little baffled about the way my BG reacts daily. Here is the scenario. I generally check
> > my BG 3 times a day, when I wake up, when I get home from work (around 4) and before bed.
> >
> > I have determined that my morning numbers are a function of the bedtime numbers..however, during
> > the day, between 11-1pm.it seems, I can eat just about whatever I want and 3 or so hours later,
> > my BG is at 70-75. Now, I am not so lucky at night. If I eat 2 slices of pizza at lunch, I get a
> > number of 75 or so when I get home from work (3 - 4 hours later).I know it is not the 2 hours
> > later as normal but this is just an experiment. If I eat two slices of pizza around 6 pm.then at
> > 10 pm it is never lower than 170.
> >
> > Why is it that my body seems to be able to handle food in the middle of the day, but the rest of
> > the day, it does not?
> >
> > Any insight?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Scott
> >
> > PS- my HbA1c when first diagnosed in October was 7.1% my numbers this month came back at 5.5%
> > and right now, my average BG readings are hovering around 125.
>
> Great A1c! You probably metabolize the carbs differently because your activity level changes. Are
> you sedentary after dinner? Most people are more active during the day and at work so might burn
> more carbs. c

I am definitely less active after dinner, but I can not say that I am super active at work.
Nowadays, I walk the stairs and get up to take some walks around the office. But that would never be
the substitute for any gym type of exercising.

Maybe that is the case, after one of these dinners, I will take a walk for about 10-15 minutes...see
what that does. Is there a time in which it is best to walk? Immediately after eating? 1 hour after?

Thanks! Scott

Scott wrote:

> Maybe that is the case, after one of these dinners, I will take a walk for about 10-15
> minutes...see what that does. Is there a time in which it is best to walk? Immediately after
> eating? 1 hour after?

I find pizza is pretty slow so I'd wait an hour or two. Of course, YMMV.

It could also be more that the walking. At work you have to at least sit up at your desk and move
around some. At home you can just sink into the couch in front of the tube.

Jon

I find taking even a 10 minute walk after dinner can keep my BG in line. I have had excellent
control for over a year now so I can eat more carbs than when first diagnosed I just can't do it all
the time and must exercise to cover them. It's a learning curve and you'll get the hang of it
eventually if you keep posting and use reasonable advice between what you gather from here and what
the medicos tell you.

Welcome to the world of juggling diabetes. It can be a real circus. c

"Colleen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Scott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Hi:
> >
> > I am a little baffled about the way my BG reacts daily. Here is the scenario. I generally check
> > my BG 3 times a day, when I wake up, when I get home from work (around 4) and before bed.
> >
> > I have determined that my morning numbers are a function of the bedtime numbers..however, during
> > the day, between 11-1pm.it seems, I can eat just about whatever I want and 3 or so hours later,
> > my BG is at 70-75. Now, I am not so lucky at night. If I eat 2 slices of pizza at lunch, I get a
> > number of 75 or so when I get home from work (3 - 4 hours later).I know it is not the 2 hours
> > later as normal but this is just an experiment. If I eat two slices of pizza around 6 pm.then at
> > 10 pm it is never lower than 170.
> >
> > Why is it that my body seems to be able to handle food in the middle of the day, but the rest of
> > the day, it does not?
> >
> > Any insight?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Scott
> >
> > PS- my HbA1c when first diagnosed in October was 7.1% my numbers this month came back at 5.5%
> > and right now, my average BG readings are hovering around 125.
>
> Great A1c! You probably metabolize the carbs differently because your activity level changes. Are
> you sedentary after dinner? Most people are more active during the day and at work so might burn
> more carbs. c

Many Thanx

David

--
"That Damn Butterfly" "Jennifer" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
berlin.de...
> Your Mileage May Vary. ; )
>
> Jennifer
>

> Batezee wrote:
>
> > Forgive my ignorance Jennifer, YMMV?
> >
> > David T1 etc
> >

> >>That's why it's all YMMV.
> >>
> >>Jennifer
> >>

> > Heavily snipped to save space heh heh!

"Scott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi:
>
> I am a little baffled about the way my BG reacts daily. Here is the scenario. I generally check my
> BG 3 times a day, when I wake up, when I get home from work (around 4) and before bed.
>
> I have determined that my morning numbers are a function of the bedtime numbers..however, during
> the day, between 11-1pm.it seems, I can eat just about whatever I want and 3 or so hours later, my
> BG is at 70-75. Now, I am not so lucky at night. If I eat 2 slices of pizza at lunch, I get a
> number of 75 or so when I get home from work (3 - 4 hours later).I know it is not the 2 hours
> later as normal but this is just an experiment. If I eat two slices of pizza around 6 pm.then at
> 10 pm it is never lower than 170.
>
> Why is it that my body seems to be able to handle food in the middle of the day, but the rest of
> the day, it does not?
>
> Any insight?

Many things affect our BG. Food is but one. For most of us, the body is the most insulin resistant
in the morning. This is why many of us are not able to handle as many carbs then as we could for
lunch or dinner. What you eat is important too. Eat a meal that is high in fiber, and has some
protein and fat, and your numbers will probably be good, so long as you don't eat more carbs than
your body can handle. Pizza is notorious for causing a spike later than you'd expect it, often
around the 3-4 hour mark. But it also depends on what you eat on that pizza. I dislike meat on a
pizza, so when I eat it, I eat only veggies or just cheese. Sometimes this works for me. Sometimes I
get a spike at the two hour mark. I also think it depends what else is in the pizza. There could be
more sugar in the crust than I realized, or sugar in the sauce. I've even heard of some places
spraying a sugar solution on their food so that it browns more quickly.

Other things that affect BG are activity level, stress, illness, hormone levels and lack of sleep.
For me, on a typical day, my busiest time is between lunch and dinner. If I'm going to have a hypo,
this is probably the time when it will happen. I don't know what you do for a living, but if you are
active at your job, this may well explain your numbers.

--
Type 2 http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

On 4 Feb 2004 11:15:44 -0800, [email protected] (Scott) wrote:

>I am definitely less active after dinner, but I can not say that I am super active at work.
>Nowadays, I walk the stairs and get up to take some walks around the office.

And it's good that you get up from your desk from time to time during the day, a lot of
people don't.

>But that would never be the substitute for any gym type of exercising.

Does not have to be gym type exercise. You are more alert, and active when at work or running
errands than at home, after dinner on avg. Your body starts to slow down in the evenings, getting
you ready for bed and to sleep. So once you head off to dream land, you body can focus on the day to
day chores it does all day long, building and repairing, and like a computer, it does not have to
deal with keeping your awake and alert.

Your body also has to store glucose to get you up in the morning, and well the monitor that
regulates this, does not work like it should, so morning you in this case, get a higher BG reading,
some may have to do with what you had for dinner or snack before bed, and some may be due to the
"dawn phenomenon" a lot of diabetics have.

>Maybe that is the case, after one of these dinners, I will take a walk for about 10-15
>minutes...see what that does.

Yes a walk before and or after dinner may very well be a good idea for you.

>Is there a time in which it is best to walk? Immediately after eating? 1 hour after?

Personal choice here I have a feeling. When eating out and the weather is nice, I take a walk right
after I leave the resturant. If I plan to do more than 20 to 30 mins of walking, I wait a little
while, maybe half an hour. And if I plan to go to the gym after eating, I wait at least an hour to
an hour and a half. For me it just helps stave off feeling *urpy*, as I might get if I were to start
exercising with a full stomach.
--
Terrell
type 2, dumped the metformin