    found, anyhow) make fat free chocolate cookies or cake?

    Ken

    --
    Untie the two knots to email me

    A closed mouth gathers no foot.

    Tags:

  2. notbob

    notbob Guest

    On 2005-12-16, Ken Knecht <[email protected]> wrote:
    > How come they can make fat free chocolate ice cream but can't (that I have
    > found, anyhow) make fat free chocolate cookies or cake?

    If you'd ever tried hardtack, you'd know the answer to that question.
    The name is the clue.

    nb

  3. Peter Aitken

    Peter Aitken Guest

    "Ken Knecht" <[email protected].com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > How come they can make fat free chocolate ice cream but can't (that I have
    > found, anyhow) make fat free chocolate cookies or cake?
    >
    > Ken

    But they do not make fat-free chocolate ice cream. They may call it ice
    cream but anyone who has tasted it knows that is a lie.

    --
    Peter Aitken

  4. Naomi

    Naomi Guest

    x-no-archive: yes

    This recipe is not nonfat but it's pretty lowfat:

    http://www.oprah.com/foodhome/food/recipes/food_200306_cookies.jhtml

    The nuts have fat in them, obviously. Some people make these cookies
    without the nuts, but you have problems with the shape then; the nuts
    kind of hold the cookies together. I have also seen very low fat
    cookies, biscotti and chocolate flavored meringues on sale at Whole
    Foods and other places. If you're looking for a brittle cookie you can
    probably find something to your liking with next to no fat.

    Cake is more of a problem. I bought some lower-fat Weight Watchers
    chocolate cake and it was really nasty, like eating styrofoam. The
    frosting was OK, though. People have some success making lower-fat
    brownies using applesauce in place of shortening. Or you could buy the
    No-Pudge brownie mix.

  5. Stan Horwitz

    Stan Horwitz Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Ken Knecht <[email protected]> wrote:

    > How come they can make fat free chocolate ice cream but can't (that I have
    > found, anyhow) make fat free chocolate cookies or cake?

    I might be wrong, but I thought Entenman's made low fat chocolate chip
    cookies. I think if the demand is present in the marketplace for low fat
    products, companies will sell them. Of course, you could always make
    your own low fat chocolate cakes and cookies.

  6. Ken Knecht

    Ken Knecht Guest

    "Naomi" <[email protected]> wrote in news:1134752553.702534.302460
    @g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    > The nuts have fat in them, obviously. Some people make these cookies
    > without the nuts, but you have problems with the shape then; the nuts
    > kind of hold the cookies together.

    Unfortunately I have diverticulitis and my DO says no nuts (among other
    things). <sigh> I _love_ nuts.

    --
    Untie the two knots to email me

    A closed mouth gathers no foot.

  7. zxcvbob

    zxcvbob Guest

    Ken Knecht wrote:
    > How come they can make fat free chocolate ice cream but can't (that I have
    > found, anyhow) make fat free chocolate cookies or cake?
    >
    > Ken

    I have a recipe for chocolate biscotti that has no fat in it except for
    what's in the nuts and the egg yolks. The recipe uses cocoa for the
    chocolate, and has no butter or shortening at all. I'll dig it up and
    post it if you want.

    Bob

  8. Ken Knecht

    Ken Knecht Guest

    "Peter Aitken" <[email protected]> wrote in news:BkCof.2489$rw.2169
    @southeast.rr.com:

    > But they do not make fat-free chocolate ice cream. They may call it ice
    > cream but anyone who has tasted it knows that is a lie.

    Tastes fine to me. Sometimes it's an advantage to have an uneducated
    palate.

    --
    Untie the two knots to email me

    A closed mouth gathers no foot.

  9. Ken Knecht

    Ken Knecht Guest

    zxcvbob <[email protected]> wrote in news:40gd1eF19opgnU1
    @individual.net:

    > I have a recipe for chocolate biscotti that has no fat in it except for
    > what's in the nuts and the egg yolks. The recipe uses cocoa for the
    > chocolate, and has no butter or shortening at all. I'll dig it up and
    > post it if you want.

    Will it work without the nuts? If so, yes, please?

    --
    Untie the two knots to email me

    A closed mouth gathers no foot.

  10. zxcvbob

    zxcvbob Guest

    Ken Knecht wrote:

    > zxcvbob <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>I have a recipe for chocolate biscotti that has no fat in it except for
    >>what's in the nuts and the egg yolks. The recipe uses cocoa for the
    >>chocolate, and has no butter or shortening at all. I'll dig it up and
    >>post it if you want.
    >>

    > Will it work without the nuts? If so, yes, please?

    It won't be the same (obviously), but you can try it without the nuts
    and and see:

    Chocolate Biscotti

    1 3/4 C Hazelnuts, roasted 5 large eggs
    2 2/3 C Flour 2/3 C chocolate chips
    2 C Sugar 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
    1 C Dutched cocoa 12 oz while chocolate (optional)
    1/4 tsp Salt
    1 1/2 tsp Baking soda
    1 1/2 Tbsp dark roast coffee beans, finely ground (optional)

    Peheat oven to 350°. Sift dry ingredients into mixing bowl. Lightly
    beat eggs and vanilla. Add to dry ingredients, along with nuts and
    chocolate chips, and mix well by hand. Do not overbeat; dough will be
    sticky and lumpy. Shape into 3 “logs”, bake on greased cookie sheets at
    350° for 35 minutes.

    Slice into 3/4” slices with serrated knife while still warm (but not
    hot). Bake again at 300° for 10 minutes. Frost with melted white
    chocolate if desired.

    Notes: I usually use regular cocoa instead of dutched; if anything, the
    regular cocoa works better. I also bake biscotti on parchment for the
    first baking rather than a greased cookie sheet. And I use walnuts in
    this recipe instead of hazelhuts

  11. Dimitri

    Dimitri Guest

    "Ken Knecht" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > How come they can make fat free chocolate ice cream but can't (that I have
    > found, anyhow) make fat free chocolate cookies or cake?
    >
    > Ken

    The do.

    See Entemanns & "fat free recipes" @ Google

    Dimitri

    Entemanns Fat Free Chocolate Cupcakes
    Course : Cakes
    From: HungryMonster.com

    Ingredients:
    1 small Box Jello cook & serve -- chocolate pudding powder
    1/2 cup Non-fat dry milk powder
    1 tablespoon Unsweetened Hershey's cocoa
    1/2 cup Sugar
    1 cup Self-rising flour
    4 Egg whites -- beat til stiff with
    1 pinch Salt in 1-1/2 quart bowl
    1 teaspoon Vanilla
    4 ounces Applesauce
    1/4 teaspoon Baking soda

    Preparation:
    In medium mixing bowl combine Jello powder, dry milk, cocoa, sugar and flour.
    Set aside. With electric mixer, beat alternately into the egg white mixture a
    cup at a time with the vanilla, applesauce and baking soda, which have been
    mixed together. Beat 2 minutes after last addition. Divide batter equally
    between 12 paper-line cupcake wells. Bake at 350 degrees about 18-20 minutes or
    until tester comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes then remove.

  12. Peter Aitken

    Peter Aitken Guest

    "Ken Knecht" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Peter Aitken" <[email protected]> wrote in news:BkCof.2489$rw.2169
    > @southeast.rr.com:
    >
    >> But they do not make fat-free chocolate ice cream. They may call it ice
    >> cream but anyone who has tasted it knows that is a lie.
    >>

    > Tastes fine to me. Sometimes it's an advantage to have an uneducated
    > palate.
    >

    > --

    LOL, perhaps you are right! My taste for cheap gin has saved me many a
    dollar. But if you are willing to take the risk, taste the non-fat stuff
    next to Godiva Belgian Dark Chocolate ice cream and you may change your tune
    (and your wasteline)!

    --
    Peter Aitken

  13. Stan Horwitz <[email protected]> writes:
    > Ken Knecht <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> How come they can make fat free chocolate ice cream but can't (that I have
    >> found, anyhow) make fat free chocolate cookies or cake?

    >I might be wrong, but I thought Entenman's made low fat chocolate chip
    >cookies.

    Aren't the Snackwell's Devil's Food cookies fat free? I haven't had
    them in years so I don't remember.
    Fat free ice cream isn't actually cream. Fudgesicles and fruit
    flavored sicles have been fat free forever.

    Stacia

  14. jake

    jake Guest

    Naomi wrote:
    > x-no-archive: yes
    >
    > This recipe is not nonfat but it's pretty lowfat:
    >
    > http://www.oprah.com/foodhome/food/recipes/food_200306_cookies.jhtml
    >
    > The nuts have fat in them, obviously. Some people make these cookies
    > without the nuts, but you have problems with the shape then; the nuts
    > kind of hold the cookies together. I have also seen very low fat
    > cookies, biscotti and chocolate flavored meringues on sale at Whole
    > Foods and other places. If you're looking for a brittle cookie you can
    > probably find something to your liking with next to no fat.
    >
    > Cake is more of a problem. I bought some lower-fat Weight Watchers
    > chocolate cake and it was really nasty, like eating styrofoam. The
    > frosting was OK, though. People have some success making lower-fat
    > brownies using applesauce in place of shortening. Or you could buy the
    > No-Pudge brownie mix.

    A very itnersting recipe. But if the OP's aim was to go low-cal, I don't
    think this is a candidate :)

  15. jake

    jake Guest

    zxcvbob wrote:

    > Ken Knecht wrote:
    >
    >> zxcvbob <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>

    >>> I have a recipe for chocolate biscotti that has no fat in it except
    >>> for what's in the nuts and the egg yolks. The recipe uses cocoa for
    >>> the chocolate, and has no butter or shortening at all. I'll dig it
    >>> up and post it if you want.
    >>>

    >> Will it work without the nuts? If so, yes, please?
    >>

    > It won't be the same (obviously), but you can try it without the nuts
    > and and see:
    >
    > Chocolate Biscotti
    >
    > 1 3/4 C Hazelnuts, roasted 5 large eggs
    > 2 2/3 C Flour 2/3 C chocolate chips
    > 2 C Sugar 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
    > 1 C Dutched cocoa 12 oz while chocolate (optional)
    > 1/4 tsp Salt
    > 1 1/2 tsp Baking soda
    > 1 1/2 Tbsp dark roast coffee beans, finely ground (optional)
    >
    > Peheat oven to 350°. Sift dry ingredients into mixing bowl. Lightly
    > beat eggs and vanilla. Add to dry ingredients, along with nuts and
    > chocolate chips, and mix well by hand. Do not overbeat; dough will be
    > sticky and lumpy. Shape into 3 “logs”, bake on greased cookie sheets at
    > 350° for 35 minutes.
    >
    > Slice into 3/4” slices with serrated knife while still warm (but not
    > hot). Bake again at 300° for 10 minutes. Frost with melted white
    > chocolate if desired.
    >
    > Notes: I usually use regular cocoa instead of dutched; if anything, the
    > regular cocoa works better. I also bake biscotti on parchment for the
    > first baking rather than a greased cookie sheet. And I use walnuts in
    > this recipe instead of hazelhuts

    That sounds delicious, I'll find an excuse to make them..

  16. Ken Knecht <[email protected]> looking for trouble wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > How come they can make fat free chocolate ice cream but can't (that I
    > have found, anyhow) make fat free chocolate cookies or cake?
    >
    > Ken

    Ken, I have found several types of fat free cakes. Entemans (sp) comes to
    mind immediately. Check the label carefully. BTW, I have yet to find a
    fat free cake or cookie that was any good. I'll stick with the lower fat
    cakes and recipes. Angel food cake is fairly low in fat. Topped with fruit
    and a fat free/low fat topping and it's pretty good. Fat free chocolate
    'anything' is a sin IMO ;)

    Michael

    --
    ....Bacteria: The rear entrance to a cafeteria.

    All gramatical errors and misspellings due to Ramsey the cyber kitten. He
    now owns all keyboards and computing devices in the household and has the
    final say on what is, or is not, posted.
    Send email to dog30 at charter dot net

  17. [email protected] (Glitter Ninja) looking for trouble wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Stan Horwitz <[email protected]> writes:
    >> Ken Knecht <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>> How come they can make fat free chocolate ice cream but can't (that
    >>> I have found, anyhow) make fat free chocolate cookies or cake?

    >>I might be wrong, but I thought Entenman's made low fat chocolate chip
    >>cookies.

    > Aren't the Snackwell's Devil's Food cookies fat free? I haven't had
    > them in years so I don't remember.
    > Fat free ice cream isn't actually cream. Fudgesicles and fruit
    > flavored sicles have been fat free forever.
    >
    > Stacia

    IMO the fat free commercial stuff is sort of a hoax. I don't have the
    index in front of me but they don't have to list the fat content if it's
    under 1% (I think). So have 5 cookies and you wind up with maybe 5g of
    fat. I know this doesn't make much sense but I learned this from someone on
    this group a long time ago when I was first diagnosed with CAD and
    diabetes. It's either 1% or 1g of fat I think. I would have to fish out
    my medical stuff but I'm too lazy right now to do it. I used to use the
    spray fake butterlikesubstance until I learned my 5 or 6 sprays of the
    stuff on my broccoli was actually adding to my fat intake. My absolute
    best advice to Ken is to see a really good nutritionist. They can take the
    guess work out of much of the confusion. Eventually you just kind of know
    what you can and can have and how much.

    Michael

    --
    ....Bacteria: The rear entrance to a cafeteria.

    All gramatical errors and misspellings due to Ramsey the cyber kitten. He
    now owns all keyboards and computing devices in the household and has the
    final say on what is, or is not, posted.
    Send email to dog30 at charter dot net

  18. zxcvbob <[email protected]> looking for trouble wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Ken Knecht wrote:
    >> How come they can make fat free chocolate ice cream but can't (that I
    >> have found, anyhow) make fat free chocolate cookies or cake?
    >>
    >> Ken
    >>

    > I have a recipe for chocolate biscotti that has no fat in it except
    > for what's in the nuts and the egg yolks. The recipe uses cocoa for
    > the chocolate, and has no butter or shortening at all. I'll dig it up
    > and post it if you want.
    >
    > Bob

    Speaking of which, Wayne posted a Cranberry muffin recipe which was
    excellent. It was pretty healthy too. Wayne, I've lost it. I'll try to
    find it on Google but I think Ken would benefit from it if you have the
    recipe on hand.

    Michael

    --
    ....Bacteria: The rear entrance to a cafeteria.

    All gramatical errors and misspellings due to Ramsey the cyber kitten. He
    now owns all keyboards and computing devices in the household and has the
    final say on what is, or is not, posted.
    Send email to dog30 at charter dot net

  19. In article <[email protected]>,
    Ken Knecht <[email protected]> wrote:

    > How come they can make fat free chocolate ice cream but can't (that I have
    > found, anyhow) make fat free chocolate cookies or cake?
    >
    > Ken

    Because one of the qualities that fat contributes to cookies and cake is
    moisture and tenderness, and sometimes flavor. You can do a partial
    substitution of fat with fruit puree (apple sauce, prunes), but I'm not
    sure about total. OTOH, this is a great recipe - relatively low fat.
    And what usually happens when some commercial outfit decides to reduce
    the fat content is that they increase the sugar and add other chemicals
    to fake the mouthfeel delivered by the fat. Can't win for losing
    sometimes.

    * Exported from MasterCook Mac *

    Whole Wheat Apricot Tea Bread

    Recipe By : posted to rec.food.cooking by Barb Schaller 12-16-05
    Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Quick Breads

    1/2 cup chopped dried apricots (about 3-1/2 oz.)
    1/2 cup orange juice
    1 cup whole wheat flour (prefer graham flour)
    3/4 cup all purpose flour
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1 1/4 tsp. baking soda
    1/2 tsp. baking powder
    1 cup LOL Light Sour Cream Dairy Blend
    1/2 cup honey
    1 cup finely shredded carrots
    1 Tbsp. sliced almonds

    Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Soak apricots in orange juice and let
    stand. Combine flours, salt, soda, and baking powder in mixing bowl.
    Stir in LOL Light Sour Cream Blend, honey, carrots and apricots in
    orange juice. Spread batter in greased loaf pan (approximately 9x5x3²;
    sprinkle with sliced almonds and press lightly. Bake in oven
    approximately 45 minutes or until a wooden pick tests clean. Cool
    thoroughly before slicing.

    Note: Recipe does not contain eggs or any other fat.

    Per serving (excluding unknown items): 625 Calories; 5g Fat (7% calories
    from fat); 3g Protein; 155g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 2830mg Sodium
    Food Exchanges: 1 Fruit; 1 Fat; 9 1/2 Other Carbohydrates

    NOTES : (Original recipe, entered in 1988 State Fair Land O¹ Lakes
    Recipe Contest)

    _____
    --
    http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 12-13-05 - RIP, Gerri