How come?

In article <[email protected]>,
"Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" <[email protected]> wrote:

> [email protected] (Glitter Ninja) looking for trouble wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>
> > Stan Horwitz <[email protected]> writes:

> >>I might be wrong, but I thought Entenman's made low fat chocolate chip
> >>cookies.

> > Aren't the Snackwell's Devil's Food cookies fat free? I haven't had
> > them in years so I don't remember.
> > Fat free ice cream isn't actually cream. Fudgesicles and fruit
> > flavored sicles have been fat free forever.
> >
> > Stacia

> IMO the fat free commercial stuff is sort of a hoax. I don't have the
> index in front of me but they don't have to list the fat content if it's
> under 1% (I think).

Lots of things can be omitted if the level is low enough. And then they
add sugar to compensate for taste -- and the calories then aren't such a
bargain.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 12-13-05 - RIP, Gerri

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:

> IMO the fat free commercial stuff is sort of a hoax. I don't have the
> index in front of me but they don't have to list the fat content if it's
> under 1% (I think). So have 5 cookies and you wind up with maybe 5g of
> fat. I know this doesn't make much sense but I learned this from someone on
> this group a long time ago when I was first diagnosed with CAD and
> diabetes. It's either 1% or 1g of fat I think. I would have to fish out
> my medical stuff but I'm too lazy right now to do it. I used to use the
> spray fake butterlikesubstance until I learned my 5 or 6 sprays of the
> stuff on my broccoli was actually adding to my fat intake. My absolute
> best advice to Ken is to see a really good nutritionist. They can take the
> guess work out of much of the confusion. Eventually you just kind of know
> what you can and can have and how much.

The manufacturer's are allowed to round. So, if a product has .5g of
fat per (some ridiculously small) serving, it can be listed as 0g.
That's why all the regular ol' margarines can now be labeled "trans fat
free" when they still contain hydrogenated oils.

--Charlene

--
Euthanasia: Generally more proficient at math and science than
euthanamerica. -- Bayan, Rick; The Cynic's Dictionary, 2002

email perronnelle at earthlink . net

Charlene Charette wrote:
> Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
>
>> IMO the fat free commercial stuff is sort of a hoax. I don't have the
>> index in front of me but they don't have to list the fat content if
>> it's under 1% (I think). So have 5 cookies and you wind up with maybe
>> 5g of fat. I know this doesn't make much sense but I learned this from
>> someone on this group a long time ago when I was first diagnosed with
>> CAD and diabetes. It's either 1% or 1g of fat I think. I would have
>> to fish out my medical stuff but I'm too lazy right now to do it. I
>> used to use the spray fake butterlikesubstance until I learned my 5 or
>> 6 sprays of the stuff on my broccoli was actually adding to my fat
>> intake. My absolute best advice to Ken is to see a really good
>> nutritionist. They can take the guess work out of much of the
>> confusion. Eventually you just kind of know what you can and can have
>> and how much.

> The manufacturer's are allowed to round. So, if a product has .5g of
> fat per (some ridiculously small) serving, it can be listed as 0g.
> That's why all the regular ol' margarines can now be labeled "trans fat
> free" when they still contain hydrogenated oils.
>
> --Charlene

FYI, if the oils are *completely* hydrogenated, they don't contain any
trans- fats. Partially hydrogenated is what you have to watch for.

Best regards,
Bob

"Peter Aitken" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> LOL, perhaps you are right! My taste for cheap gin has saved me

many a
> dollar. But if you are willing to take the risk, taste the non-

fat
> stuff next to Godiva Belgian Dark Chocolate ice cream and you

may
> change your tune (and your wasteline)!

I not dare do that! As to such desserts, I've eaten nothing but
fat free
frozen yogurt and ice cream for about ten years. So I've almost
forgotten what the real thing tastes like. My cholesterol was at
350 and
my LDLs at some horrible number. So I've been trying to reform
ever
since.

Ken

--
Untie the two knots to email me

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

x-no-archive: yes

If you are allowed to have a little bit of fat, you might try shopping
around among things from Barry's Bakery. (E.g. pastry twists at 60
calories each and 2 grams of fat, no cholesterol.) I am also strangely
fond of 100-calorie Chips Ahoy wafers and Pecan Sandy wafers. These
seems clearly marketed for Weight Watchers at a neat 2 points apiece.
Unfortunately I think some of the other 100-calorie cookie packages are
dreadful, the Mr. Peanut and Oreo being examples.

I agree with what other people have said about no-fat products. They
often seem to pump up the sugar content to the point where it's even
worse for your diet.

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 16:38:33 GMT, Ken Knecht <[email protected]>
wrote:

>How come they can make fat free chocolate ice cream but can't (that I have
>found, anyhow) make fat free chocolate cookies or cake?

Do you not have Snackwells where you are?

serene

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> jake <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>That sounds delicious, I'll find an excuse to make them..

> Got one ready: It's Friday, I think I'll make biscotti.

That is an excellent excuse.

serene <[email protected]> wrote in
news:p[email protected]:

> On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 16:38:33 GMT, Ken Knecht <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>>How come they can make fat free chocolate ice cream but can't (that I
>>have found, anyhow) make fat free chocolate cookies or cake?

> Do you not have Snackwells where you are?
>
> serene

I've seen them on the shelf but paid little attention. I guess I need to
check them next time I'm grocery shopping.