Ken Knecht

Guest
How come they can make fat free chocolate ice cream but can't (that I have
found, anyhow) make fat free chocolate cookies or cake?

Ken

--
Untie the two knots to email me

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

On 2005-12-16, Ken Knecht <[email protected]> wrote:
> How come they can make fat free chocolate ice cream but can't (that I have
> found, anyhow) make fat free chocolate cookies or cake?

If you'd ever tried hardtack, you'd know the answer to that question.
The name is the clue.

nb

"Ken Knecht" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> How come they can make fat free chocolate ice cream but can't (that I have
> found, anyhow) make fat free chocolate cookies or cake?
>
> Ken

But they do not make fat-free chocolate ice cream. They may call it ice
cream but anyone who has tasted it knows that is a lie.

--
Peter Aitken

x-no-archive: yes

This recipe is not nonfat but it's pretty lowfat:

http://www.oprah.com/foodhome/food/recipes/food_200306_cookies.jhtml

The nuts have fat in them, obviously. Some people make these cookies
without the nuts, but you have problems with the shape then; the nuts
kind of hold the cookies together. I have also seen very low fat
cookies, biscotti and chocolate flavored meringues on sale at Whole
Foods and other places. If you're looking for a brittle cookie you can
probably find something to your liking with next to no fat.

Cake is more of a problem. I bought some lower-fat Weight Watchers
chocolate cake and it was really nasty, like eating styrofoam. The
frosting was OK, though. People have some success making lower-fat
brownies using applesauce in place of shortening. Or you could buy the
No-Pudge brownie mix.

In article <[email protected]>,
Ken Knecht <[email protected]> wrote:

> How come they can make fat free chocolate ice cream but can't (that I have
> found, anyhow) make fat free chocolate cookies or cake?

I might be wrong, but I thought Entenman's made low fat chocolate chip
cookies. I think if the demand is present in the marketplace for low fat
products, companies will sell them. Of course, you could always make
your own low fat chocolate cakes and cookies.

"Naomi" <[email protected]> wrote in news:1134752553.702534.302460
@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> The nuts have fat in them, obviously. Some people make these cookies
> without the nuts, but you have problems with the shape then; the nuts
> kind of hold the cookies together.

Unfortunately I have diverticulitis and my DO says no nuts (among other
things). <sigh> I _love_ nuts.

--

Ken Knecht wrote:
> How come they can make fat free chocolate ice cream but can't (that I have
> found, anyhow) make fat free chocolate cookies or cake?
>
> Ken

I have a recipe for chocolate biscotti that has no fat in it except for
what's in the nuts and the egg yolks. The recipe uses cocoa for the
chocolate, and has no butter or shortening at all. I'll dig it up and
post it if you want.

Bob

"Peter Aitken" <[email protected]> wrote in news:BkCof.2489$rw.2169
@southeast.rr.com:

> But they do not make fat-free chocolate ice cream. They may call it ice
> cream but anyone who has tasted it knows that is a lie.

Tastes fine to me. Sometimes it's an advantage to have an uneducated
palate.

--
Untie the two knots to email me

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

zxcvbob <[email protected]> wrote in news:40gd1eF19opgnU1
@individual.net:

> I have a recipe for chocolate biscotti that has no fat in it except for
> what's in the nuts and the egg yolks. The recipe uses cocoa for the
> chocolate, and has no butter or shortening at all. I'll dig it up and
> post it if you want.

Will it work without the nuts? If so, yes, please?

--

Ken Knecht wrote:

> zxcvbob <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>I have a recipe for chocolate biscotti that has no fat in it except for
>>what's in the nuts and the egg yolks. The recipe uses cocoa for the
>>chocolate, and has no butter or shortening at all. I'll dig it up and
>>post it if you want.
>>

> Will it work without the nuts? If so, yes, please?

It won't be the same (obviously), but you can try it without the nuts
and and see:

Chocolate Biscotti

1 3/4 C Hazelnuts, roasted 5 large eggs
2 2/3 C Flour 2/3 C chocolate chips
2 C Sugar 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 C Dutched cocoa 12 oz while chocolate (optional)
1/4 tsp Salt
1 1/2 tsp Baking soda
1 1/2 Tbsp dark roast coffee beans, finely ground (optional)

Peheat oven to 350°. Sift dry ingredients into mixing bowl. Lightly
beat eggs and vanilla. Add to dry ingredients, along with nuts and
chocolate chips, and mix well by hand. Do not overbeat; dough will be
sticky and lumpy. Shape into 3 “logs”, bake on greased cookie sheets at
350° for 35 minutes.

Slice into 3/4” slices with serrated knife while still warm (but not
hot). Bake again at 300° for 10 minutes. Frost with melted white
chocolate if desired.

Notes: I usually use regular cocoa instead of dutched; if anything, the
regular cocoa works better. I also bake biscotti on parchment for the
first baking rather than a greased cookie sheet. And I use walnuts in
this recipe instead of hazelhuts

"Ken Knecht" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> How come they can make fat free chocolate ice cream but can't (that I have
> found, anyhow) make fat free chocolate cookies or cake?
>
> Ken

The do.

See Entemanns & "fat free recipes" @ Google

Dimitri

Entemanns Fat Free Chocolate Cupcakes
Course : Cakes
From: HungryMonster.com

Ingredients:
1 small Box Jello cook & serve -- chocolate pudding powder
1/2 cup Non-fat dry milk powder
1 tablespoon Unsweetened Hershey's cocoa
1/2 cup Sugar
1 cup Self-rising flour
4 Egg whites -- beat til stiff with
1 pinch Salt in 1-1/2 quart bowl
1 teaspoon Vanilla
4 ounces Applesauce
1/4 teaspoon Baking soda

Preparation:
In medium mixing bowl combine Jello powder, dry milk, cocoa, sugar and flour.
Set aside. With electric mixer, beat alternately into the egg white mixture a
cup at a time with the vanilla, applesauce and baking soda, which have been
mixed together. Beat 2 minutes after last addition. Divide batter equally
between 12 paper-line cupcake wells. Bake at 350 degrees about 18-20 minutes or
until tester comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes then remove.

"Ken Knecht" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Peter Aitken" <[email protected]> wrote in news:BkCof.2489$rw.2169
> @southeast.rr.com:
>
>> But they do not make fat-free chocolate ice cream. They may call it ice
>> cream but anyone who has tasted it knows that is a lie.
>>

> Tastes fine to me. Sometimes it's an advantage to have an uneducated
> palate.
>

> --

LOL, perhaps you are right! My taste for cheap gin has saved me many a
dollar. But if you are willing to take the risk, taste the non-fat stuff
next to Godiva Belgian Dark Chocolate ice cream and you may change your tune
(and your wasteline)!

--
Peter Aitken

Stan Horwitz <[email protected]> writes:
> Ken Knecht <[email protected]> wrote:

>> How come they can make fat free chocolate ice cream but can't (that I have
>> found, anyhow) make fat free chocolate cookies or cake?

>I might be wrong, but I thought Entenman's made low fat chocolate chip
>cookies.

Aren't the Snackwell's Devil's Food cookies fat free? I haven't had
them in years so I don't remember.
Fat free ice cream isn't actually cream. Fudgesicles and fruit
flavored sicles have been fat free forever.

Stacia

Naomi wrote:
> x-no-archive: yes
>
> This recipe is not nonfat but it's pretty lowfat:
>
> http://www.oprah.com/foodhome/food/recipes/food_200306_cookies.jhtml
>
> The nuts have fat in them, obviously. Some people make these cookies
> without the nuts, but you have problems with the shape then; the nuts
> kind of hold the cookies together. I have also seen very low fat
> cookies, biscotti and chocolate flavored meringues on sale at Whole
> Foods and other places. If you're looking for a brittle cookie you can
> probably find something to your liking with next to no fat.
>
> Cake is more of a problem. I bought some lower-fat Weight Watchers
> chocolate cake and it was really nasty, like eating styrofoam. The
> frosting was OK, though. People have some success making lower-fat
> brownies using applesauce in place of shortening. Or you could buy the
> No-Pudge brownie mix.

A very itnersting recipe. But if the OP's aim was to go low-cal, I don't
think this is a candidate :)

zxcvbob wrote:

> Ken Knecht wrote:
>
>> zxcvbob <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>> I have a recipe for chocolate biscotti that has no fat in it except
>>> for what's in the nuts and the egg yolks. The recipe uses cocoa for
>>> the chocolate, and has no butter or shortening at all. I'll dig it
>>> up and post it if you want.
>>>

>> Will it work without the nuts? If so, yes, please?
>>

> It won't be the same (obviously), but you can try it without the nuts
> and and see:
>
> Chocolate Biscotti
>
> 1 3/4 C Hazelnuts, roasted 5 large eggs
> 2 2/3 C Flour 2/3 C chocolate chips
> 2 C Sugar 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
> 1 C Dutched cocoa 12 oz while chocolate (optional)
> 1/4 tsp Salt
> 1 1/2 tsp Baking soda
> 1 1/2 Tbsp dark roast coffee beans, finely ground (optional)
>
> Peheat oven to 350°. Sift dry ingredients into mixing bowl. Lightly
> beat eggs and vanilla. Add to dry ingredients, along with nuts and
> chocolate chips, and mix well by hand. Do not overbeat; dough will be
> sticky and lumpy. Shape into 3 “logs”, bake on greased cookie sheets at
> 350° for 35 minutes.
>
> Slice into 3/4” slices with serrated knife while still warm (but not
> hot). Bake again at 300° for 10 minutes. Frost with melted white
> chocolate if desired.
>
> Notes: I usually use regular cocoa instead of dutched; if anything, the
> regular cocoa works better. I also bake biscotti on parchment for the
> first baking rather than a greased cookie sheet. And I use walnuts in
> this recipe instead of hazelhuts

That sounds delicious, I'll find an excuse to make them..

Ken Knecht <[email protected]> looking for trouble wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> How come they can make fat free chocolate ice cream but can't (that I
> have found, anyhow) make fat free chocolate cookies or cake?
>
> Ken

Ken, I have found several types of fat free cakes. Entemans (sp) comes to
mind immediately. Check the label carefully. BTW, I have yet to find a
fat free cake or cookie that was any good. I'll stick with the lower fat
cakes and recipes. Angel food cake is fairly low in fat. Topped with fruit
and a fat free/low fat topping and it's pretty good. Fat free chocolate
'anything' is a sin IMO ;)

Michael

--
....Bacteria: The rear entrance to a cafeteria.

All gramatical errors and misspellings due to Ramsey the cyber kitten. He
now owns all keyboards and computing devices in the household and has the
final say on what is, or is not, posted.
Send email to dog30 at charter dot net

[email protected] (Glitter Ninja) looking for trouble wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Stan Horwitz <[email protected]> writes:
>> Ken Knecht <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> How come they can make fat free chocolate ice cream but can't (that
>>> I have found, anyhow) make fat free chocolate cookies or cake?

>>I might be wrong, but I thought Entenman's made low fat chocolate chip
>>cookies.

> Aren't the Snackwell's Devil's Food cookies fat free? I haven't had
> them in years so I don't remember.
> Fat free ice cream isn't actually cream. Fudgesicles and fruit
> flavored sicles have been fat free forever.
>
> Stacia

IMO the fat free commercial stuff is sort of a hoax. I don't have the
index in front of me but they don't have to list the fat content if it's
under 1% (I think). So have 5 cookies and you wind up with maybe 5g of
fat. I know this doesn't make much sense but I learned this from someone on
this group a long time ago when I was first diagnosed with CAD and
diabetes. It's either 1% or 1g of fat I think. I would have to fish out
my medical stuff but I'm too lazy right now to do it. I used to use the
spray fake butterlikesubstance until I learned my 5 or 6 sprays of the
stuff on my broccoli was actually adding to my fat intake. My absolute
best advice to Ken is to see a really good nutritionist. They can take the
guess work out of much of the confusion. Eventually you just kind of know
what you can and can have and how much.

Michael

--
....Bacteria: The rear entrance to a cafeteria.

All gramatical errors and misspellings due to Ramsey the cyber kitten. He
now owns all keyboards and computing devices in the household and has the
final say on what is, or is not, posted.
Send email to dog30 at charter dot net

zxcvbob <[email protected]> looking for trouble wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Ken Knecht wrote:
>> How come they can make fat free chocolate ice cream but can't (that I
>> have found, anyhow) make fat free chocolate cookies or cake?
>>
>> Ken
>>

> I have a recipe for chocolate biscotti that has no fat in it except
> for what's in the nuts and the egg yolks. The recipe uses cocoa for
> the chocolate, and has no butter or shortening at all. I'll dig it up
> and post it if you want.
>
> Bob

Speaking of which, Wayne posted a Cranberry muffin recipe which was
excellent. It was pretty healthy too. Wayne, I've lost it. I'll try to
find it on Google but I think Ken would benefit from it if you have the
recipe on hand.

Michael

--
....Bacteria: The rear entrance to a cafeteria.

All gramatical errors and misspellings due to Ramsey the cyber kitten. He
now owns all keyboards and computing devices in the household and has the
final say on what is, or is not, posted.
Send email to dog30 at charter dot net

In article <[email protected]>,
Ken Knecht <[email protected]> wrote:

> How come they can make fat free chocolate ice cream but can't (that I have
> found, anyhow) make fat free chocolate cookies or cake?
>
> Ken

Because one of the qualities that fat contributes to cookies and cake is
moisture and tenderness, and sometimes flavor. You can do a partial
substitution of fat with fruit puree (apple sauce, prunes), but I'm not
sure about total. OTOH, this is a great recipe - relatively low fat.
And what usually happens when some commercial outfit decides to reduce
the fat content is that they increase the sugar and add other chemicals
to fake the mouthfeel delivered by the fat. Can't win for losing
sometimes.

* Exported from MasterCook Mac *

Whole Wheat Apricot Tea Bread

Recipe By : posted to rec.food.cooking by Barb Schaller 12-16-05
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Quick Breads

1/2 cup chopped dried apricots (about 3-1/2 oz.)
1/2 cup orange juice
1 cup whole wheat flour (prefer graham flour)
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 cup LOL Light Sour Cream Dairy Blend
1/2 cup honey
1 cup finely shredded carrots
1 Tbsp. sliced almonds

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Soak apricots in orange juice and let
stand. Combine flours, salt, soda, and baking powder in mixing bowl.
Stir in LOL Light Sour Cream Blend, honey, carrots and apricots in
orange juice. Spread batter in greased loaf pan (approximately 9x5x3²;
sprinkle with sliced almonds and press lightly. Bake in oven
approximately 45 minutes or until a wooden pick tests clean. Cool
thoroughly before slicing.

Note: Recipe does not contain eggs or any other fat.

Per serving (excluding unknown items): 625 Calories; 5g Fat (7% calories
from fat); 3g Protein; 155g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 2830mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 1 Fruit; 1 Fat; 9 1/2 Other Carbohydrates

NOTES : (Original recipe, entered in 1988 State Fair Land O¹ Lakes
Recipe Contest)

_____
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 12-13-05 - RIP, Gerri