How dangerous are rabbits?

"zzapper" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
> There are dozens of rabbits along my favorite run. I whistle or ring
> my bell to clear the path, but I guess inevitably one day I will hit
> one.That won't be very good for the rabbit but how risky is it for me?

The university my offspring, who is a keen cyclist, is hoping to start
attending this autumn has grounds which are positively *infested* with
rabbits. My offspring, who plans to live in hall of residence, has already
commented upon the availablity of good lean meat. I think that for those
particular rabbits it won't be very good at all, but it has the potential to
be good for my offspring in helping to keep his food bills low. ;-)

On Jul 19, 12:09 am, Paul Cassel <[email protected]>
wrote:
> zzapper wrote:
> > Hi,
> > There are dozens of rabbits along my favorite run. I whistle or ring
> > my bell to clear the path, but I guess inevitably one day I will hit
> > one.That won't be very good for the rabbit but how risky is it for me?

> They're remarkably delicate. You'll just cut them in half. You won't be
> upset unless you lose your mental equilibrium.

Thanks Paul,
I had been imagining something much more dramatic!
--
zzapper
Best of VimTips

wafflycat <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote:

> "zzapper" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Hi,
> > There are dozens of rabbits along my favorite run. I whistle or ring
> > my bell to clear the path, but I guess inevitably one day I will hit
> > one.That won't be very good for the rabbit but how risky is it for me?

> The university my offspring, who is a keen cyclist, is hoping to start
> attending this autumn has grounds which are positively *infested* with
> rabbits. My offspring, who plans to live in hall of residence, has already
> commented upon the availablity of good lean meat. I think that for those
> particular rabbits it won't be very good at all, but it has the potential to
> be good for my offspring in helping to keep his food bills low. ;-)

UEA? nice grounds though some of the rabbits are mixie

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 16:20:51 +0100 someone who may be Phil Cook
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>>>http://unix.rulez.org/~calver/pictures/squirrel_bike.jpg

>>That's the way to deal with squirrels. Pity it was a red one.

>Huh? It is well grey - on the outside. :)

I have now looked at it on two monitors. It looks red to me.

> Real reds have tufted ears.
>Once you've seen a real red it is obvious that why they are called
>red.

You are assuming that I have not seen a "real red".

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

David Hansen <[email protected]> wrote:

> >>That's the way to deal with squirrels. Pity it was a red one.

> >Huh? It is well grey - on the outside. :)

> I have now looked at it on two monitors. It looks red to me.
>
> > Real reds have tufted ears.
> >Once you've seen a real red it is obvious that why they are called
> >red.

> You are assuming that I have not seen a "real red".

looks grey here, maybe some colour recabration of the OS?

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com

"Roger Merriman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:1i1ijou.534acd4srm9bN%[email protected]...
> wafflycat <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote:
>
>> "zzapper" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>> > Hi,
>> > There are dozens of rabbits along my favorite run. I whistle or ring
>> > my bell to clear the path, but I guess inevitably one day I will hit
>> > one.That won't be very good for the rabbit but how risky is it for me?

>> The university my offspring, who is a keen cyclist, is hoping to start
>> attending this autumn has grounds which are positively *infested* with
>> rabbits. My offspring, who plans to live in hall of residence, has
>> already
>> commented upon the availablity of good lean meat. I think that for those
>> particular rabbits it won't be very good at all, but it has the potential
>> be good for my offspring in helping to keep his food bills low. ;-)

> UEA? nice grounds though some of the rabbits are mixie

Don't start me on the joke about the rabbit and the toasties. You won't
enjoy it.

in message <[email protected]>, zzapper
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Hi,
> There are dozens of rabbits along my favorite run. I whistle or ring
> my bell to clear the path, but I guess inevitably one day I will hit
> one.That won't be very good for the rabbit but how risky is it for me?

Not very. I've seen a squirrel flattened in a mountain bike race (not by
me); no effect on the rider. Possibly slightly more effect on narrow road
bike tyres, but I'd be surprised if it caused an off.

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 17:20:04 +0100, "wafflycat"
<w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote:

>"zzapper" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> Hi,
>> There are dozens of rabbits along my favorite run. I whistle or ring
>> my bell to clear the path, but I guess inevitably one day I will hit
>> one.That won't be very good for the rabbit but how risky is it for me?

>The university my offspring, who is a keen cyclist, is hoping to start
>attending this autumn has grounds which are positively *infested* with
>rabbits. My offspring, who plans to live in hall of residence, has already
>commented upon the availablity of good lean meat. I think that for those
>particular rabbits it won't be very good at all, but it has the potential to
>be good for my offspring in helping to keep his food bills low. ;-)

Fellow in my dorm (Queen's University, Kingston), spent the summers
trapping and skinning beaver. A slingshot, infinite supply of grey
squirrels, and presto -- fresh meat and lowest food bills of any of us.
All he needed to buy were spices and rice.

in message <[email protected]>, Tony Raven
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Roger Merriman wrote:
>>

>> i did hear that one of the blokes from school driving prob too fast in
>> the lanes hit a ram, which the car bonnet folded around and then got up
>> and gave him a look and wandered off.
>>

> I can beat that. Many moons ago when I was doing some consulting for
> Portals (the bank note paper people)

Curiously, I used to do some consulting for Portals (the bank note paper
people). It is, as they say, a small world. Either that or they hire a lot
of consultants.

See one nuclear war, you've seen them all.

On 19/07/2007 21:07, Simon Brooke wrote:
>zzapper wrote:
>>There are dozens of rabbits along my favorite run. I whistle or ring
>>my bell to clear the path, but I guess inevitably one day I will hit
>>one.That won't be very good for the rabbit but how risky is it for me?

> Not very. I've seen a squirrel flattened in a mountain bike race (not by
> me); no effect on the rider. Possibly slightly more effect on narrow road
> bike tyres, but I'd be surprised if it caused an off.

My biggest worry with squirrels is that I might be caught off balance if
I run over one while swerving to try and avoid it. That's one reason
why I no longer swerve for them. The other reason is that it's
pointless, as the squirrel's usual predator evasion technique is to run
back and forth across your path to try and make you guess which way it's
going to go.

I've run over 3 or 4 in the last few years (not deliberately, I hasten
to add) with no effect on the handling of the bike, using 35mm tyres at
100psi. I think usually I've just run over the tail, because there's
certainly been no sign of the squirrel when I've checked behind me
afterwards. The last time, though, I looked in my mirror to see the
squirrel writhing about behind me. I went back with the intention of
putting it out of it's misery, but it died before I was able to find a
suitable implement.

I find rabbits are much easier to avoid. In daylight they scamper out
of the way quickly enough, and at night they go tharn in my headlights
and I can safely go round them.

"Daddy, put that down. Daddy, put that down. Daddy, put that down.
Daddy, why did you put that down?" - Charlie Colyer, age 2

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 20:28:40 +0100, [email protected] (Roger
Merriman) wrote:

>David Hansen <[email protected]> wrote:

>> >Huh? It is well grey - on the outside. :)

>> I have now looked at it on two monitors. It looks red to me.
>>
>> > Real reds have tufted ears.
>> >Once you've seen a real red it is obvious that why they are called
>> >red.

>> You are assuming that I have not seen a "real red".

>looks grey here, maybe some colour recabration of the OS?

Definitely a grey. People often fail to realise thay greys are often
also reddish in colour. Over here on the continent they've failed to
gain the foothold that they did in the UK, so all our local squirrels
are reds, although ironically many of them are so dark that you'd
think of them as black if you were just to describe the colour.

Danny Colyer <[email protected]> wrote:

>On 19/07/2007 21:07, Simon Brooke wrote:
>>zzapper wrote:
>>>There are dozens of rabbits along my favorite run. I whistle or ring
>>>my bell to clear the path, but I guess inevitably one day I will hit
>>>one.That won't be very good for the rabbit but how risky is it for me?

>> Not very. I've seen a squirrel flattened in a mountain bike race (not by
>> me); no effect on the rider. Possibly slightly more effect on narrow road
>> bike tyres, but I'd be surprised if it caused an off.

You'd be in trouble if you encountered the EVIL MUTANT ATTACK SQUIRREL
OF DEATH! http://www.anti-squirrel.com/squirrel_attacks_biker.html

Warning: keyboard danger, don't read the linked story while drinking
fluids, especially cola.

--
Membrane

wafflycat <w*a*ff?y?cat*@?btco*nn?ect.com> wrote:
> Roger Merriman <[email protected]> wrote:
> > UEA? nice grounds though some of the rabbits are mixie

> Aye.

ISTR killing UEA wildlife is an eviction+dismissal offence.
I heard a tale about a noisy duck and a cook's knife, but I
suspect that was a legend.
--
MJR/slef
MTH/Waveney Terrace '94

Marc Brett said the following on 19/07/2007 21:13:

> Fellow in my dorm (Queen's University, Kingston), spent the summers
> trapping and skinning beaver.

I thought all students were always trying to trap beaver ;-)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

In news:[email protected],
burt <[email protected]> tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell us:

> Don't start me on the joke about the rabbit and the toasties. You
> won't enjoy it.

Omnes: OH YES WE WILL!!

--
Dave Larrington
Like Kant, it is my wish to create my own individual

A well timed thread for me as I have just had to kill a little rabbit
who was writhing in the road having been hit by a car.

Not a good start to the day really, and the third time I've had to do
it, the other two being myxomatosis victims.

Poor little bleeders

David

In article <[email protected]>,
zzapper
[email protected] says...
> Hi,
> There are dozens of rabbits along my favorite run. I whistle or ring
> my bell to clear the path, but I guess inevitably one day I will hit
> one.

As long as you announce your presence I doubt it, unless it's already
sick or injured. You might clip one with a pedal though, as they tend
to zigzag and double back to evade predators so if startled may run back
into you.

> That won't be very good for the rabbit but how risky is it for me?

Not at all if you manage to bunny hop over it.
I ran right over a kamikaze chicken once - I hardly felt the bump. Wild
rabbits can weigh up to 10 pounds, which would be a bigger bump, but
they're squidgy so if you just hold your line you'll probably be OK (and
the rabbit will have a better chance of getting out of the way). If you
do injure one, be sure to go back and finish it off.