How did Arlen Specter become Republican Enemy No. 1?

I think that with the turnout in the election (with the strong Evangelical vote) the far right of the party is feeling more empowered. Being Pro life myself, I don't think he totally represents my views, which is not to say that he doesn't represent the bulk of the party. At any rate, the party is going through an identity struggle, and I think that it will be our (the Republicans) undoing. Much the same as the struggle in the Democratic party - between the far left and the moderates - I think that lost the election for the Democrats, as well, but that's a whole other topic of discussion. Back to Specter - I recently received an email from a Christian group that wanted to block Specter's ascendency to the chair of the Judiciary committee. The sole reason for this is that he is Pro choice.

Redneck said:
I think that with the turnout in the election (with the strong Evangelical vote) the far right of the party is feeling more empowered. Being Pro life myself, I don't think he totally represents my views, which is not to say that he doesn't represent the bulk of the party. At any rate, the party is going through an identity struggle, and I think that it will be our (the Republicans) undoing. Much the same as the struggle in the Democratic party - between the far left and the moderates - I think that lost the election for the Democrats, as well, but that's a whole other topic of discussion. Back to Specter - I recently received an email from a Christian group that wanted to block Specter's ascendency to the chair of the Judiciary committee. The sole reason for this is that he is Pro choice.
Good response. Level-headed & informative. After i posted this thread, it occurred to me that : Does everything has to be about America ?, because there are people from all over the world on this forum. Granted, everything hinges on our decisions but I don't follow; for example Italy's politics.