How did Armstrong do in Dauphiné? (spoiler)

news:[email protected]...
> > "Heinz Getzler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > TimBenz <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:<[email protected]>...

> > > It's hard to get a true story from that photograph. The results are a much better indicator.
> > > Lance is only 11 seconds behind. On the otherhand it's not improbable that that Lance might
> > > not be up to form.

> > I'd agree. It can hard to tell from a snap shot. I've seen that look on Lance's face in dozens
> > of photos from races he won...
> >
> > Wade
>
> Maybe his head feels like a casserole? Boogerd says:
>
> "Under this extreme heat in the Dauphiné, there is much more suffering on the climbs with a helmet
> on the head. On the Col de Premol, it felt like I had something cooking on my head, as if I had a
> casserole on. On the flats, I always rode with a helmet anyway, but on the climbs I really find it
> a disadvantage."
>
> "It's still to come, but when we soon have to ride for around 30 kilometres up the Col de Galibier
> in the heat, then it will really be a horror. And let's assume that once Mont Ventoux is part of
> the parcours, but the finish is at the bottom. Then you're also obliged to ride up that col with a
> helmet. That is murderous...Maybe the UCI has to adapt the rules for such climbs."
>
> But then again, LANCE does look far worse than the competition.

Just seen the preliminary results from the Dauphine TT. Lance Armstong - 1st place... Yeah he's got
poor form for sure...

Wade

"Wade Summers" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:ZXHFa.910$PY2.772@lakeread05...

> > Maybe his head feels like a casserole? Boogerd says:
> >
> > "Under this extreme heat in the Dauphiné, there is much more suffering on the climbs with a
> > helmet on the head. On the Col de Premol, it felt like I had something cooking on my head, as if
> > I had a casserole on. On the flats, I always rode with a helmet anyway, but on the climbs I
> > really find it a disadvantage."
> >
> > "It's still to come, but when we soon have to ride for around 30 kilometres up the Col de
> > Galibier in the heat, then it will really be a horror. And let's assume that once Mont Ventoux
> > is part of the parcours, but the finish is at the bottom. Then you're also obliged to ride up
> > that col with a helmet. That is murderous...Maybe the UCI has to adapt the rules for such
> > climbs."
> >
> > But then again, LANCE does look far worse than the competition.
>
> Just seen the preliminary results from the Dauphine TT. Lance Armstong - 1st place... Yeah he's
> got poor form for sure...

Please do not diss my fellow rbr posters. It surely is possible to analyze the fitness of a rider on
the other side of the world simply by looking at a single photo of their facial expression.

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 05:07:03 GMT, TimBenz <[email protected]> wrote:

>[email protected] (Heinz Getzler) wrote in news:[email protected]:
>
>> It's hard to get a true story from that photograph. The results are a much better indicator.
>> Lance is only 11 seconds behind. On the otherhand it's not improbable that that Lance might not
>> be up to form.
>
>No argument from me. But tomorrow will be a real test -- let's so how Lance looks in a longer TT
>with a climb. And the clincher will come in Stages 4 and 6. It could be a really intersting TdF
>this year.

Test Results:

Stage 3 - June 11: Saint-Paul-en-Jarez - Saint-Heand ITT, 33,4 km Results

Unofficial 1 Lance Armstrong (USA) US Postal-Berry Floor 49.32 2 David Millar (GBr) Cofidis 1.07

General classification after stage 3

1 Lance Armstrong (USA) US Postal-Berry Floor 2 David Millar (GBr) Cofidis

FasTrack <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> Stage 3 - June 11: Saint-Paul-en-Jarez - Saint-Heand ITT, 33,4 km Results
>
> Unofficial 1 Lance Armstrong (USA) US Postal-Berry Floor 49.32 2 David Millar (GBr) Cofidis 1.07

It is a remarkable result. Armstrong has certainly passed the first part of my "test" with flying
colors, so maybe he is just trying out new poses for Graham Watson. I'll be really interested to see
how things go over Galibier/Telegraphe, but it seems Armstrong has far better form than his recent
results and facial expressions would have suggested.

As an aside, what's up with Tyler Hamilton? Almost five minutes back, despite saying that he was
feeling better after his recent ailments. And Millar is certainly the man to watch. This was a great
t/t for him, and he did very nicely in the recent Classique del Alpes so the upcoming mountains
stages could be fun.

[email protected] (Dan) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> "Wade Summers" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<pJwFa.319$PY2.12@lakeread05>...
> > "Heinz Getzler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > TimBenz <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...

> > > It's hard to get a true story from that photograph. The results are a much better indicator.
> > > Lance is only 11 seconds behind. On the otherhand it's not improbable that that Lance might
> > > not be up to form.

> > I'd agree. It can hard to tell from a snap shot. I've seen that look on Lance's face in dozens
> > of photos from races he won...
> >
> > Wade
>
> Maybe his head feels like a casserole? Boogerd says:
>
> "Under this extreme heat in the Dauphiné, there is much more suffering on the climbs with a helmet
> on the head. On the Col de Premol, it felt like I had something cooking on my head, as if I had a
> casserole on. On the flats, I always rode with a helmet anyway, but on the climbs I really find it
> a disadvantage."
>
> "It's still to come, but when we soon have to ride for around 30 kilometres up the Col de Galibier
> in the heat, then it will really be a horror. And let's assume that once Mont Ventoux is part of
> the parcours, but the finish is at the bottom. Then you're also obliged to ride up that col with a
> helmet. That is murderous...Maybe the UCI has to adapt the rules for such climbs."
>
> But then again, LANCE does look far worse than the competition.

I'm sure Lance looked really bad today, when he put more than a minute into Millar et al...

[email protected] (Scott Hendricks) wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> I'm sure Lance looked really bad today, when he put more than a minute into Millar et al...

Well, I've already said my mea culpa in another post, so I won't repeat it here. Armstrong is
apparently in good form, but just broed and trying out new facial expressions for photographer
Graham Watson. I think I thought something similar about Armstrong's form going into the TdF last
year and was wrong then too, so I'll just keep quiet now.

news:<[email protected]>...

> Please do not diss my fellow rbr posters. It surely is possible to analyze the fitness of a rider
> on the other side of the world simply by looking at a single photo of their facial expression.

It's fun to speculate though.

TimBenz wrote:

> As an aside, what's up with Tyler Hamilton? Almost five minutes back,

Maybe it was his stomach.

Maybe finishing five minutes back just looks better after pacing the Yellow Jersey halfway up
the climbs.

in a 49 minute event he beat the next guy by minute? that's ~2% faster- seemingly a big gap at the
elite level of any sport yes?

someone who knows physics should be able to tell us how much more power output it takes to go
~2% faster.

Here, I'll foul it up so you can look smarter: Power needed to increase speed increases as the cube
of speed increase, 'cause of wind resistance.

100 cubed = 1 mill

so armstrong was putting out about 6% more power- a huge margin at this level, where no one has 6%
of improvement left.

Where can I bet online on our boy?

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (remove
the polite word to reply) wrote:

> in a 49 minute event he beat the next guy by minute? that's ~2% faster- seemingly a big gap at the
> elite level of any sport yes?

Yes, but a reasonable gap in time trials.

> someone who knows physics should be able to tell us how much more power output it takes to go
> ~2% faster.
>
> Here, I'll foul it up so you can look smarter: Power needed to increase speed increases as the
> cube of speed increase, 'cause of wind resistance.
>
> 100 cubed = 1 mill

> so armstrong was putting out about 6% more power- a huge margin at this level, where no one has 6%
> of improvement left.

There were hills, too. Gaining speed on sufficiently steep hills requires nearly linear increases
of effort.

> Where can I bet online on our boy?

Lance is showing good form. But at the Dauphine-Libere, he is not beating up on the riders most
likely to challenge for the GC at the Tour.

remove the polite word to reply wrote:
> Where can I bet online on our boy?

Hey, I like LANCE as much as the next homer, but I'd bet a small amount against him for this year's
tour. **** happens in bike races. I'd be happy to lose my money.

warren wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, David Ryan <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > He started last and I think he could pace to whatever finish he wanted to. Tyler Hamilton is the
> > next ex-teammate to implode. (Just seems the history of ex-teammates.)
>
> Yes, he imploded right into a classic win at L-B-L, which is something we haven't seen from the
> guys still on USPS.
>
> Read his diary at VeloNews.com if you care to enlighten yourself.
>
> -WG

Vaughters curse. Told you.