How did Armstrong do in Dauphiné? (spoiler)

Malte Lewan Nee

Guest
He's beaten! You could follow it live (no pictures) on
http://www.eurosport.fr/home/pages/TF1/V3/L3/S18/E5636/live_Lng3_Spo18_E
vt5636_Mtc61777_SitTF1.shtml: "Lance Armstrong est battu ! Il ne peut faire mieux que 8'55" et
termine en 3e position !" Tyler Hamilton was only 36th. Iban Mayo won, beating David Millar.

So, was Armstrong trying? You might think he was, considering how well he did, after all. But he's
expected to win the ITTs in TdF as usual (if not Botero interfers, like last year).

Results and analysis on
http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2003/jun03/DauphineLibere03/?id=results/ prologue

--
«Wänn i de Schwitz s Volk redet, händ d Politikär ruhig sii.»

10 seconds wow now that's a huge defecit to overcome.... and it's just the prolog my
friend............. oh a ....short but challenging parcours of just 5.1km yeah i bet that
hurt.........

Malte Lewan Neelsen wrote:

> He's beaten! You could follow it live (no pictures) on
> http://www.eurosport.fr/home/pages/TF1/V3/L3/S18/E5636/live_Lng3_Spo18_E
> vt5636_Mtc61777_SitTF1.shtml: "Lance Armstrong est battu ! Il ne peut faire mieux que 8'55" et
> termine en 3e position !" Tyler Hamilton was only 36th. Iban Mayo won, beating David Millar.
>
> So, was Armstrong trying? You might think he was, considering how well he did, after all. But he's
> expected to win the ITTs in TdF as usual (if not Botero interfers, like last year).
>
> Results and analysis on http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2003/jun03/DauphineLibere03/?id=results/
> prologue

As if.

Who cares whether or not he even gets it back?

On Mon, 09 Jun 2003 00:49:10 GMT, "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote:

>As if.
>
>Who cares whether or not he even gets it back?

Mayo and Millar?

Regards! Stephen

Malte Lewan Neelsen wrote:

> He's beaten! You could follow it live (no pictures) on
> http://www.eurosport.fr/home/pages/TF1/V3/L3/S18/E5636/live_Lng3_Spo18_E
> vt5636_Mtc61777_SitTF1.shtml: "Lance Armstrong est battu ! Il ne peut faire mieux que 8'55" et
> termine en 3e position !" Tyler Hamilton was only 36th. Iban Mayo won, beating David Millar.
>
> So, was Armstrong trying? You might think he was, considering how well he did, after all. But he's
> expected to win the ITTs in TdF as usual (if not Botero interfers, like last year).
>
> Results and analysis on http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2003/jun03/DauphineLibere03/?id=results/
> prologue

He started last and I think he could pace to whatever finish he wanted to. Tyler Hamilton is the
next ex-teammate to implode. (Just seems the history of ex-teammates.)

>From: David Ryan [email protected]

>He started last and I think he could pace to whatever finish he wanted to. Tyler Hamilton is the
>next ex-teammate to implode. (Just seems the history of ex-teammates.)

WOW! Tyler lost 43 seconds he's history, the career is over. How do you figure? If I was Tyler I'd
be concentrating on my climbing. That's where he's going to make time to get on the podium, not in
the TT. He's just got to hold on and not lose too much in the TTs. I think he will climb better
than ever and hold his own in the TTs. Bill C

In article <[email protected]>, David Ryan <[email protected]> wrote:

> He started last and I think he could pace to whatever finish he wanted to. Tyler Hamilton is the
> next ex-teammate to implode. (Just seems the history of ex-teammates.)

Yes, he imploded right into a classic win at L-B-L, which is something we haven't seen from the guys
still on USPS.

Read his diary at VeloNews.com if you care to enlighten yourself.

-WG

"warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:090620032020389093%[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, David Ryan <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > He started last and I think he could pace to whatever finish he wanted
to.
> > Tyler Hamilton is the next ex-teammate to implode. (Just seems the history of ex-teammates.)
>
> Yes, he imploded right into a classic win at L-B-L, which is something we haven't seen from the
> guys still on USPS.
>
> Read his diary at VeloNews.com if you care to enlighten yourself.

And won the T de Romandy.

What interests me is the way Armstrong's upper body is looking. It might well be a combination of
camera angle/lens length, but it looks like his upper body has thickened a bit, much like Lemonds
did toward the end of his career.

I think this could be Armstong's most difficult Tour since his comeback. I say that because of the
above, and the impression (subjective yes) that I had when he was caught at LBL that he wasn't
physically where he thought he should be. Not that he would ever admit that if it were the case.

And a major thank you to God and Her infinate Wisdom for giving us OLN. July is going to be so much
fun even if the Classics rule.

"B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> What interests me is the way Armstrong's upper body is looking. It might well be a combination of
> camera angle/lens length, but it looks like his upper body has thickened a bit, much like Lemonds
> did toward the end of his career.

[Deletia]

Speaking of same, I'm noticing in camera angles just how under pressure Armstrong looks these days.
He looks gaunt, with the sorts of hollows on his cheeks and under his eyes that you used to see on
him only during mountain stages late in the TdF. I think his lack of condition at races where he has
contentended in prior years, like Amstel where he couldn't dump the leading group on the final
climb, is also an indicator.

P.

TimBenz <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> Speaking of same, I'm noticing in camera angles just how under pressure Armstrong looks these
> days. He looks gaunt, with the sorts of hollows on his cheeks and under his eyes that you used to
> see on him only during mountain stages late in the TdF. I think his lack of condition at races
> where he has contentended in prior years, like Amstel where he couldn't dump the leading group on
> the final climb, is also an indicator.
>
> P.

Yup. On Graham Watson's site, in the photos from Liege:

http://grahamwatson.com/gw/imagedocs.nsf/images/03lbl/$file/24.jpg

I bet he was seeing double in that picture. He was obviously giving it his all, again and again, and
could never get away.

"Dan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> TimBenz <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> > Speaking of same, I'm noticing in camera angles just how under pressure Armstrong looks these
> > days. He looks gaunt, with the sorts of hollows on his cheeks and under his eyes that you used
> > to see on him only during mountain stages late in the TdF. I think his lack of condition at
> > races where he has contentended in prior years, like Amstel where he couldn't dump the leading
> > group on the final climb, is also an indicator.
> >
> > P.
>

> Yup. On Graham Watson's site, in the photos from Liege:
>
> http://grahamwatson.com/gw/imagedocs.nsf/images/03lbl/$file/24.jpg
>
> I bet he was seeing double in that picture. He was obviously giving it his all, again and again,
> and could never get away.

Maybe he was just playing possum again. ;-)

I hope to see Lance and Ullrich in a head to head duel again.

Dashii

Really good to see you still around Dave. Plain to see the Tour is coming.

[email protected] (Dan) wrote in news:[email protected]:

> Yup. On Graham Watson's site, in the photos from Liege:
>
> http://grahamwatson.com/gw/imagedocs.nsf/images/03lbl/$file/24.jpg
>
> I bet he was seeing double in that picture. He was obviously giving it his all, again and again,
> and could never get away.

That is exactly what I'm talking about. He looked like that in LBL this year, and it was a similar
"look" in Amstel when he screwed up Boogerd's race by not having the condition Boogerd thought he
did. Compare how much more comfortable and less wasted he looked last year during the same one- day
races, or consider how he is looking right now in the Daupine.

For example, look at this picture from the current race:

http://grahamwatson.com/gw/imagedocs.nsf/photos/03dauphineSt1-003000

Armstrong not only looks bad on this relatively straightforward early stage in a longer stage race,
but he looks _much_ worse than the riders around him. People are going to start noticing, if they
haven't already. I have seen this look many times while racing: Armstrong is riding near the front
on guts and suffering, not superior condition.

P.

And indeed there is that large upper body that Jan loves to see. I agree with Bill that this is
going to be his hardest Tour to date.

Tom Kunich wrote:

> Really good to see you still around Dave. Plain to see the Tour is coming.

Thanks. Checking to see what people think. Maybe I'll be around a little more - if Armstrong ever
does the Giro or stays around for the Vuelta again ;-)

TimBenz <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (Dan) wrote in news:[email protected]:
>
> > Yup. On Graham Watson's site, in the photos from Liege:
> >
> > http://grahamwatson.com/gw/imagedocs.nsf/images/03lbl/$file/24.jpg
> >
> > I bet he was seeing double in that picture. He was obviously giving it his all, again and again,
> > and could never get away.
>
> That is exactly what I'm talking about. He looked like that in LBL this year, and it was a similar
> "look" in Amstel when he screwed up Boogerd's race by not having the condition Boogerd thought he
> did. Compare how much more comfortable and less wasted he looked last year during the same one-
> day races, or consider how he is looking right now in the Daupine.
>
> For example, look at this picture from the current race:
>
> http://grahamwatson.com/gw/imagedocs.nsf/photos/03dauphineSt1-003000
>
> Armstrong not only looks bad on this relatively straightforward early stage in a longer stage
> race, but he looks _much_ worse than the riders around him. People are going to start noticing, if
> they haven't already. I have seen this look many times while racing: Armstrong is riding near the
> front on guts and suffering, not superior condition.

It's hard to get a true story from that photograph. The results are a much better indicator.
Lance is only 11 seconds behind. On the otherhand it's not improbable that that Lance might not
be up to form.

> P.

"Heinz Getzler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> TimBenz <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> > Armstrong not only looks bad on this relatively straightforward early stage in a longer stage
> > race, but he looks _much_ worse than the riders around him. People are going to start noticing,
> > if they haven't already. I have seen this look many times while racing: Armstrong is riding near
> > the front on guts and suffering, not superior condition.
>
> It's hard to get a true story from that photograph. The results are a much better indicator.
> Lance is only 11 seconds behind. On the otherhand it's not improbable that that Lance might not
> be up to form.
> >
> > P.

I'd agree. It can hard to tell from a snap shot. I've seen that look on Lance's face in dozens of
photos from races he won...

Wade

[email protected] (Heinz Getzler) wrote in news:[email protected]:

> It's hard to get a true story from that photograph. The results are a much better indicator.
> Lance is only 11 seconds behind. On the otherhand it's not improbable that that Lance might not
> be up to form.

No argument from me. But tomorrow will be a real test -- let's so how Lance looks in a longer TT
with a climb. And the clincher will come in Stages 4 and 6. It could be a really intersting TdF
this year.

"Wade Summers" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<pJwFa.319$PY2.12@lakeread05>...
> "Heinz Getzler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > TimBenz <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > >
> > > Armstrong not only looks bad on this relatively straightforward early stage in a longer stage
> > > race, but he looks _much_ worse than the riders around him. People are going to start
> > > noticing, if they haven't already. I have seen this look many times while racing: Armstrong is
> > > riding near the front on guts and suffering, not superior condition.
> >
> > It's hard to get a true story from that photograph. The results are a much better indicator.
> > Lance is only 11 seconds behind. On the otherhand it's not improbable that that Lance might not
> > be up to form.
> > >
> > > P.
>
> I'd agree. It can hard to tell from a snap shot. I've seen that look on Lance's face in dozens of
> photos from races he won...
>
> Wade

Maybe his head feels like a casserole? Boogerd says:

"Under this extreme heat in the Dauphiné, there is much more suffering on the climbs with a helmet
on the head. On the Col de Premol, it felt like I had something cooking on my head, as if I had a
casserole on. On the flats, I always rode with a helmet anyway, but on the climbs I really find it a
disadvantage."

"It's still to come, but when we soon have to ride for around 30 kilometres up the Col de Galibier
in the heat, then it will really be a horror. And let's assume that once Mont Ventoux is part of the
parcours, but the finish is at the bottom. Then you're also obliged to ride up that col with a
helmet. That is murderous...Maybe the UCI has to adapt the rules for such climbs."

But then again, LANCE does look far worse than the competition.