How did Garzelli tie for #1 in Giro points?

Andy Kriger

Guest
Been following the Giro but I can't remember Garzelli winning any stages, or even being particularly
competitive (beyond being consistently near the top). So, am I forgetting some wins (quite probable)
or can someone explain how he ended up tied #1 for points?

thx andy

"Andy Kriger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Been following the Giro but I can't remember Garzelli winning any
stages, or
> even being particularly competitive (beyond being consistently near
the top).
> So, am I forgetting some wins (quite probable) or can someone
explain how he
> ended up tied #1 for points?

Riders can get points for high placings on stages too. In the Tour de France, for example, both Sean
Kelly and Erik Zabel won the points competition at times without winning a stage.

JT

NB: reply-to address is munged

Visit http://www.jt10000.com

news:t%[email protected]...
> "Andy Kriger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Been following the Giro but I can't remember Garzelli winning any
> stages, or
> > even being particularly competitive (beyond being consistently near
> the top).
> > So, am I forgetting some wins (quite probable) or can someone
> explain how he
> > ended up tied #1 for points?
>
> Riders can get points for high placings on stages too. In the Tour de France, for example, both
> Sean Kelly and Erik Zabel won the points competition at times without winning a stage.

Garzelli won two stages, and placed in the top three in a few others, and the top 10 in a few
others. He's been consistent. Needed a few more seconds today though.

cheers, Jeff

Jeff Jones wrote:

> "John Forrest Tomlinson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:t%[email protected]...
> > "Andy Kriger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Been following the Giro but I can't remember Garzelli winning any
> > stages, or
> > > even being particularly competitive (beyond being consistently near
> > the top).
> > > So, am I forgetting some wins (quite probable) or can someone
> > explain how he
> > > ended up tied #1 for points?
> >
> > Riders can get points for high placings on stages too. In the Tour de France, for example, both
> > Sean Kelly and Erik Zabel won the points competition at times without winning a stage.
> >
> Garzelli won two stages, and placed in the top three in a few others, and the top 10 in a few
> others. He's been consistent. Needed a few more seconds today though.

I really liked his effort today. He fought so hard and it held his 2nd spot. An interesting rider,
he is. He can climb and sprint pretty well, and he's a fair TT'er. Garzelli really impressed me by
never ever giving up. It is partly his effort that makes Simoni's win more meaningful.

"Precious Pup" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> I really liked his effort today. He fought so hard and it held his 2nd spot. An interesting rider,
> he is. He can climb and sprint pretty well, and he's a fair TT'er. Garzelli really impressed me by
> never ever giving up. It is partly his effort that makes Simoni's win more meaningful.

Still, it's better to see a gifted follower (Garzelli) distanced than to witness a "strongest
rider" step down courtesy of one bad day or physical hassle, like Casagrande on the last TT to
Sestriere, in one of the last Giros. Garzelli may well epitomize the current elite of GT
consistency, with remarkable bursts in seemingly unrelated fields (high mountains and small field
sprints- cool enough) , but to see him distanced in key moments of the Giro provided the same
relief as the successfull shaking-off of a stalker. Also,back when he first won the Tour of
Switzerland, there was some fuss about how he enlisted the help of a co-escapee to bolster his GC
prospects, failing to live up to his promise to give the fellow the stage win for his pains, not
something the peloton usually forgets (although I don't know how popular Garzelli is amongst his
peers today). It's moot- at no time in this Giro could Simoni's rule have been jeopardized by some
hostile coalition. I see Pantani's attempts to get into the Tour via Bianchi ridiculed here. A more
likely route (and not unconsisitent with the cryptic allusions of all involved) seems to be
Garzelli's own Sidermec team, no?

Alexander