How did it go in the 94.7?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Mampara, Nov 17, 2002.

1. Vo2

Vo2 Member

Well done OT! Damn, I haven't touched my bike since the race and you've done another 80k's! I've given myself a 48hr cooldown before I touch the bike again. Are you doing the Argus?

2. Ronnie

Ronnie New Member

Guys<br /><br />When I realised I was on the last hill, I was ecstatic! Exhausted, but I felt invincible!<br /><br />I am not going to disclose my time in public because it was VERY VERY long (and it can not even remotely come close to the guru times I have read about for the past few days :p) I am one of those &quot;plebs&quot; that Rhodent spoke about ;) and I had the honour of being asked &quot;Keep Left&quot; by Lab-rat (and a &quot;thank you&quot; when I did - it's a pleasure).<br /><br />But: I started cycling almost a year ago after 30 sedentary years. I could not even make it to the end of my own block without a rest - a reasonable hill. Since then, I have lost 18kg, done 2 x 70km races, and now the 94.7. After years of being a supporter on the side of the roads, I am now in the thick of things.<br /><br />Argus calls too ...

3. Jaco

Jaco New Member

Well done for finishing Ronnie ... and in heat heat nogal!

4. Roadster

Roadster New Member

Well done to everybody, not only for the good finishing times, but also for just completing the race. I was aiming for anything better than 3:30hrs, and managed 3:14, but only with the help of my hubbie who decided to ride with me. He did a sub 3 last year, and decided that I can do it as well :eek: and nearly killed me in the process. But afterwards I felt grateful, because without his encouragement I don't think I would have even finished before 3:30!<br /><br />Well done to Dianne (where are you?). We are watching your progress with anticipation. ;)

5. EPO

EPO New Member

Well Done Roadster, <br /><br />It's amaizing what we can achieve with a bit of encouragement. Sometimes our minds tell us to slow down, or that this hill is just to steep, but our bodies is much stronger than what we think. Sometimes it takes a good friend, or other half to help us realise that we can achieve more and to give as just that bit more encouragement to push through and not to give up yet. <br />

6. Rhodent

Rhodent New Member

Aish, had that old comment thrown in my teeth didn't I? I take it back after that race though, it was tougher for the "Plebs" than for the ones who did it quickly. The pro's didn't have it nearly as tough as those starting at 9am and spending twice as long in the sun...

7. Lab_Rat

Lab_Rat New Member

I forgot to put my name on my number. Sorry. :-[<br /><br />If you were in the second &quot;b&quot; bunch, I was the silly geezer who bolted on the last downhill going into Kyalami and blew 200m from the finish line. I was wearing Micro$0ft kit.<br /><br />Hey Ronnie, thanks. Where did we pass you? And how did you know it was me? Some of the guys blew on the 2nd lap and had to hold on to the Reach for a Dream combi to catch up. ;D<br /><br />Check this out. . .

8. Vo2

Vo2 Member

[quote author=Ronnie link=board=15;threadid=2662;start=30#22869 date=1037764810]<br />Guys<br /><br />When I realised I was on the last hill, I was ecstatic! Exhausted, but I felt invincible!<br /><br />I am not going to disclose my time in public because it was VERY VERY long (and it can not even remotely come close to the guru times I have read about for the past few days :p) I am one of those &quot;plebs&quot; that Rhodent spoke about ;) and I had the honour of being asked &quot;Keep Left&quot; by Lab-rat (and a &quot;thank you&quot; when I did - it's a pleasure).<br /><br />But: I started cycling almost a year ago after 30 sedentary years. I could not even make it to the end of my own block without a rest - a reasonable hill. Since then, I have lost 18kg, done 2 x 70km races, and now the 94.7. After years of being a supporter on the side of the roads, I am now in the thick of things.<br /><br />Argus calls too ...<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Sounds like the bug has bitten you, Ronnie. As long as you have won the personal battle in your mind, thats all that matters.<br />Well done to all the ladies!

9. Old Timer

Old Timer New Member

Ronnie<br />Congratulations. Well done! ;D<br />VO2<br />Yes. I'm entered for the Argus and the H to H. ::)

10. Ronnie

Ronnie New Member

[quote author=Lab_Rat link=board=15;threadid=2662;start=45#22876 date=1037775543]<br />Hey Ronnie, thanks. Where did we pass you? And how did you know it was me? [/quote]<br /><br />Lab_Rat - women know everything! You passed me at the watering point near the R55.<br /><br />Thanks to all of you for your good words and congrats. As time passes, when I look back it seems like the race went better and better (is it stupidity or survival that allows me to blank out the tough parts?)

11. Dianne

Dianne New Member

Hey all,<br /><br />Sorry i have been out of contact. Had a hectic last few days, leading up to the race and now after it! Its my time to let the hair down and live a normal life for a few....... if you know what i mean!!<br /><br />Well as far as the race goes yeah i made the pace hard. It would still seem not hard enough though! the pace was slightly faster than usual for the woman. We had a microsoft rider on the front pacing from the gun, who knows why but i was glad. I decided i would sit and wait for the highway to try anything. Which i did. Made a couple of attacks, getting the three of us away on each occasion. But each one did not work out. Anriette was willing to help out but Ronel most of the time was not interesed. The woman kept getting back to us. There were always so many men around us that im sure each time they aided slightly to get the woman back. I cant say for certain though. I regret not actually pushing harder and longer over the climbs. Each time the two got to me i would also relax for them to get their fair share of the work in. I wanted to make my major move on the second last climb with the two of them unaware but because of the previous attacks Ronel sat glued to my wheel. So i hestitated and waited too long. in the end i did not attack and as you know we ended in a bunch finish. According to the papers i finished bad because of having tired legs. I have know idea where they came up with that one from because it was defititely not true. I was still so strong. I tried this time to be third wheel behind the two. Nicolene Skeepers caught us by surprise. no one was worried about her at all. Because of that i came around the corner way too far back. The sprint was faster than i anticipated and could obviously not get past anyone in time! Disasterous finish again!!!<br /><br />Dont know what it is with me and why i can never get the finish right!! <br /><br />Glad to hear you all had a great race. Dont know if you would agree but the route was not very hard at all. Most of the climbs were not even felt because of the long fast decent before.

12. Vo2

Vo2 Member

Great to read your report Dianne, and well done! Your day will come, just be patient.<br />I believe Nicolene was actually dropped, but managed to get back with some &quot;help&quot;? I reckon it's abit unfair tho, or do all the ladies take advantage of the &quot;help&quot; offered by the male bunch?

13. Rhodent

Rhodent New Member

Big problem of course (has been mentioned) is that there doesn't seem to be an easy way of policing the pro women's race. We have both sides with problems, the male cyclists who have improved aren't allowed to easily get past the women to the males group ahead of them and the women who drop back can't easily be prevented from jumping on a guys wheel to get paced back to the women's group. I wonder if they should think about setting a 6 minute gap after the women. This should sort out the problems with women being paced back after dropping. Unfortunately the guys trying to get through to the group ahead of the women will be compromised but someone is going to have to lose and realistically the pro women should have a few more rights than the better amateur men (Damn, can't believe I'm saying this!!!)<br /><br />Still, well done Dianne, even if you aren't winning yet you are being treated as a serious threat, and more of a newsmaker than the other ladies. That has got to puff the ego out a little 8)

14. Johann

Johann New Member

I started in the C bunch - had a small mishab - had to stop for a few minutes and got caught by the ladies bunch. Now this is my suggestion - specificallyfor the 94.7 regarding the ladies bunch: There was full road closure (most of the way) and most of the time the men's bunches around the ladies was not really big (I rode near the Ladies for about 50km). Why not force the ladies to keep to the right handside lane and the men to the left. Then there could be no drafting by ladies or visa versa.<br />Just a thought.<br /><br />The other thing which I noticed was that the ladies are very strong on the uphills - but on the flats and downhills they tend to sit back - or is this only my perception?<br /><br />Then specificly to Dianne: Don't you think that a team of a few strong girls will enable somebody like you to have more tactical options agains strong sprinters like Anriette?

15. Vo2

Vo2 Member

Johann, your suggestion seems feasible for races with full road closure, but as you mentioned, it won't really be practical in races with no or only partial closure.<br />Here's my suggestion:<br />Have two vehicles, one 50m ahead and another 100m behind the ladies bunch. No male riders will be allowed between the two vehicles. Should a male rider or riders feel the need to pass the ladies, they should pass and join ahead of the leading vehicle. If the rider or bunch of riders cannot pass, then they must stay behind the rear vehicle. If a lady gets dropped, she stays protected and on her own for 100m behind the bunch, after that, she may join the male riders if she so wishes, but if she feels she can rejoin the bunch, she will have to do so on her own the moment she reaches the rear vehicle and until she makes contact with the ladies bunch again.<br />Male riders cannot ride with the ladies bunch. They should either breakaway and join a group up ahead (usually the male C-bunch or remnants of it) or drop back and join the group behind the rear vehicle. Ladies that decide to go with a passing male group may follow them, but as soon as the last male in the passing bunch has past the ladies, the vehicle moves in and establishes the 50m gap. Marshals should point out and act on the spot when they notice deliberate drafting or protection by the men. Like Johann says, it's usually only a few men that join in on the action around the ladies bunch.<br />Problem here is that the ladies may and can catch the C-bunch up ahead. I'm not sure if the C-bunch sometimes slow down their pace delibrately and &quot;wait&quot; for the ladies, but I doubt it. If that is the case, maybe they can have 10 minute breaks between the bunches that start directly ahead and behind the ladies, or maybe have larger start groups up to, lets say, the E-bunch i.e combine C-D and E-F. That would eliminate the start delay significantly caused by the 10 minute gaps. It's a tough one to control, unfortunately.

16. EPO

EPO New Member

great Idea VO2, The other thing that may help is that the seeding must also be done on reputable races. Most people in the A, B, or C bunch that didn't keep up with the pace was seeded because of the H2H. It's a great race but it does not say that you are a great cyclist if you finish it in under 2 1/2 hours (The whole race is downhill). Using more difficult races only like Westcon, Argus etc will actually seed people that are mostly stronger than the ladies do start before them.

17. Vo2

Vo2 Member

Your'e right Cadence. A difficulty factor should be calculated into races that are used for seeding.

18. Old Timer

Old Timer New Member

Has anyone with a Polar S710 checked the total ascent for the 94.7? My watch and the HRM file shows 1570m total ascents but the Polar Precision Performance Curve (ver 3.03.013) shows 1250m! I get this sort of discrepency on all my rides. :'( Which is correct??? Any other readings?<br />

19. Dianne

Dianne New Member

You guys have some great ideas.Thanx! Think i will definetly bring them up with some of the race organisers. I think another option would be to start us say before the junior boys or a bunch where there are not so many stragglers. If we are passed, there will not bee too many boys around to help out. I may be mistaken but i would say most boys finish in the main bunch, which can either be infront or behind us. The problem most of the time is that we dont really have a proper commiseur in charge of the race. Its usually just one of the following vehicles who is asked to keep watch!<br /><br />Johann. Funny that you should say that! I think you are 100% correct. I actually had a meeting with cyclesure today and we are thinking of doing just that....just got a bit of working out to do on their side, but it definetly would help me. But the problem is to find girls who will be willing to sacrifice themselves for me!But maybe because i am not here all year round it would help, they can race for each other when i am not here and help me when i am! That really is the only way the racing would improve in general, alot of small two/three woman teams competing!! You are right about the working up climbs as apposed to the rest fo the race aswell! <br />You are right about the climbs.I know for me personally the climbs are the only place where the not so strong woman cant hang on. Its easier then for us to get away, so that is why i suppose we all just wait for the climbs to make it hard!!<br /><br />Just to answer the other questions.....<br /><br />VO2, its hard for me to say if all the ladies do take advantage. I mean quite often, the whole bunch of us was mixed up inbetween the men and riding in their bunch simply because there was no where else to go. I suppose we do all take advantage of them in diff ways though.... ;) i for example put in some of my big attacks while this was going on and Anriette and Ronel were boxed in. Forcing them to work extra hard to catch me. I pretty sure each time i attacked the other woman would obviously use them to get back if the opportunity arises. <br /><br />Rhodent....I actually find it hilarious how much coverage i am getting. I think it is annoying the other girls to no extent.

20. Mampara

Mampara New Member

Hey, what's goimg on with the results? There is still just provisional results out on the Highveld site.<br /><br />And another thing, aren't we getting a seeding for this race? I went to the Supercycling site and I still only have two races fro my seeding. WTF?