How did you feel when you noticed a marked improvment in performance

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by LS17, May 17, 2006.

1. LS17

LS17 New Member

I've been training off on on for over a year but haven't stuck with it to get any real good results until recently. I've always been a slow cyclist....never been able to do better than 29 mph on a flat road. Today I saw another cyclist and decided to show off. I springted past him and when I looked down I was doing 33 mph! I know that doesn't sound much but I am no Lance Armstrong. It was a great feeling to make progress.

Tags:

2. BlueJersey

BlueJersey New Member

Well, hmmmm......., unless it is a race, it ain't matter. :cool:
    Unless my improvement can co-relate to my racing result and positioning, I will take my numbers with a grain of salt.

3. fergie

fergie Member

Well done on the improvement. Take it as a sign that the training is paying off and you ability is improving.

Hamish

4. Sillyoldtwit

Sillyoldtwit New Member

LS17, did you take the adrenalin factor into account? In the gym I'm always capable of sustaining more power on the bike when there is a nubile young lady on the bike next to me. Just a thought!;)

5. frenchyge

frenchyge New Member

That's 50-ish in your book, right? :D

6. JohnO

JohnO New Member

The day I could take on a 12% grade climb and not use the wimp chainring, was a day to remember. I've been facing that climb for a year, getting better, but it's a real grinder. Late last fall, I was feeling feisty, and said okay, let's see how far we can get in the middle ring. It was agony, and I had my thumb on the left shifter, ready to punch down and admit defeat, but the top came in sight, and dang, I'm going to make it! Think I'll get rid of that wimp gear, don't use it much any more.

There was another delightful moment when I'm taking on a 3 mile long climb with a buddy who has beaten me at every physical sport for the last 20 years. 2 miles into it, I start hearing this huffing and puffing behind me, and then it gets fainter, until I'm all alone. Dropped him big time. Ah, that feels better.

Haven't had many of those moments, but they are great.

7. rule62

rule62 New Member

Hey, it is definitely the right idea to feel good about your achievements, no matter how slight or insignificant to the next humbug they may seem. Achieving goals, especially the little incremental ones when you are first marking your improvements, is the stuff that keep you coming back for the next hard effort. Nice going and thanks for sharing the post! ;)

8. RapDaddyo

RapDaddyo Active Member

I agree with this 100%. I celebrate each and every personal best, whether it's a new FT, 5MP or whatever. I have a 3.5 mile 6% grade climb that I ride at least 3x per week. My best time is ~14:30 and the day I get under 14:00 flat (without a tailwind) I will be delirious even if I am solo. Celebrate all achievements.

9. WarrenG

WarrenG New Member

And all this time I thought you were thinking about RDO when you were training...

I suppose if such a lady were to utter the phrase "threshold power" you'd start gasping for air and ask to become her willing slave?

10. RapDaddyo

RapDaddyo Active Member

I don't know about that, but I'd love to find out which gym Tyson goes to. I'd like to send in a young, hot ringer to take the bike next to his and proceed to knock off a couple of 20s at 300W. That'd get his attention.:D

11. ZimboNC

ZimboNC New Member

I've sure enjoyed watching my progress. I know that average speeds mean very little but I have three door-to-door TT loops I ride once a month to see how I'm progressing. The three courses are 20, 42, and 62 miles, respectively.

Keep in mind that these are not closed courses: there's traffic to deal with and numberous stop lights and stop signs so I have my computer set to stop ticking when I have to stop. There's a good number of 100ft rolling hills but no serious climbs. There tends to be wind, especially in the spring, but the courses are loops so it probably evens out to some degree.

Anyway, I set a goal at the beginning of 2006 to be able to eventually ride each of these solo courses at an average speed of over 20 miles per hour. At the time, my best pace for the 20-mile course was about 18.5mph, my best for the 42-miler was about 17.5mph, and I not yet ridden the 62-miler.

Anyway, last week I was able to achieve all three goals (21.7, 20.5, and 20.3, respectively). In retrospect I should not have attempted to TT all three courses in the same week but the result was very satisfying to me, I must say. Not because I think I'm God's gift to cycling, not because I think 20mph is the be-all-end-all, but because I've seen marked personal improvement.

Next goal: 25mph for the 20-mile course, 23mph for the 42-miler, and 22mph for the 62 miler. Again, the actual numbers don't matter as much as the progress and these goals may take a while.

--Steve

12. WarrenG

WarrenG New Member

Not to take away from your accomplishments in TT'ing because you are in fact doing well.

In today's Giro stage we see what happens when the pros do what amounts to an out and back TT course, Ullrich did 50K at an average of 51km/hr (31+mph).

13. ZimboNC

ZimboNC New Member

Yeah, I watched the Giro today and it was really impressive. I'd love to be able to one day complete a pancake flat 40K course at 25mph. I think it's a realistic goal given enough training, proper positioning, and decent equipment.

31mph for 50K is in another stratosphere altogether, however.

--Steve

14. Doctor Morbius

Doctor Morbius New Member

I'm still waiting for that elusive marked improvment in performance. :eek:

15. Sillyoldtwit

Sillyoldtwit New Member

Now that wasn't nice Frenchy - what are you implying?

And FYI the definition of nubile as per the Oxford dictionary;

(of a girl or young woman) sexually mature, suitable for marriage. Sexually attractive.:p

That is, not an old prune on a bike with rolls of fat dribbling over the saddle and handlebars!;)

No offence intended to 50 year old fit cycling ladies who frequent this forum!:)

The morbid old Doc wrote:

You won't get it from lying on the sofa Doc. Well, not cycling performance, that is!;)

16. Sillyoldtwit

Sillyoldtwit New Member

Funny you should say that Warren. He's a long way away from where I am, but I still feel like the little schoolboy who knows if he doesn't do what he's told he has to go and see the head master. (read RD) :)

So I have RD on my left and a delightful young thing on my right. How can I possible fail with that combination - the beauty and the beast!;)

17. Pendejo

Pendejo Member

Unfortunately, I'm better qualified to answer the question "How do you feel when you don't notice a marked improvement?"

18. Doctor Morbius

Doctor Morbius New Member

Perhaps if I could find one of those sexually attractive nubiles? :D At least I could keep some fitness while lying on the sofa. Now that's my kind of cross-training!

19. Sillyoldtwit

Sillyoldtwit New Member

You can't have them. They're all mine!:p

20. WarrenG

WarrenG New Member

Neither of you have a chance because chicks dig the long ball, and guys who can ride fast, the sprinters.