How did you...

Bikes interessed me already when I was child! When I was 15 I got my first serious bike - mountainbike! I wasnt riding a lot, but I was every year more and more interested in watching cycling races! I never showed a big wish to have a road bike, but while watching one stage in Tour last year, something happened hehe! Something addicted me and I realy wished to have a road bike from that moment on, so I bought it 2 months later! But that still wasnt enough, I wanted more, so last year I went to a club:)

My grandfather rode bike alot. father too. so what do you expect from me :p
was riding it all my life from the tricycle when i was like 3 years old to road bike right now at 15 years of age :)

Always liked riding my bike, was on a trike when I was about three. In Australia each state has an Institute of sport who look after the elite up and coming athletes. Competitive cycling was struggling a little bit here so they included cycling in a talent search program that all high schools in tassie have to take part in. We had to do a few tests like vertical leap, shuttle run, 40m sprint etc. I was lucky enough to be chosen as one of the 8 cyclists that year. We were given a coach and a bike on a bond deal (pay $ get $back when u give bike back job). Havent stopped since.

In 2002 It was the holidays so i was stying up late watching TV. The highlights of the second week of the Tour came on and i became intersted because David Millar won a stage and he was Scottish like my self. In 2003 i saw an advert for the Tour and got hooked from the prologue onward. I recorded the majority of the stages and I went out cycling on my MTB most days. I longed for a road bike but i didn't have a part-time job so i couldn't afford one. I got a job in January which meant i would soon be able to get one. And in August i finall got me road bike. Which was mind-blowing when i first went out on it. Jolly good

El Loto said:
In 2002 It was the holidays so i was stying up late watching TV. The highlights of the second week of the Tour came on and i became intersted because David Millar won a stage and he was Scottish like my self.
So you have already finished cycling because Millar`s suspension?:DJust joking..

I ran cross-country for 3 years againist other teams and i was an MVP (Most Valuable Player, or Most valuable runner:D ) for 2 of those years. I decided I wanted something more so i tried out cycling.

IT'S GREAT!!!!!

Last year (2003) I had some terrible leg pain, that my chiro said was because I "didn't stretch my legs enough." So, I took up cycling as a way to get rid of my pain. I started riding with a local club, and did easy rides.

I came across a coach from the local team (DICE), and he got me hooked up with their winter training, and I started racing in April of 2004, and haven't been able to stop.

The bad part of the story is that my leg pains are still as bad as ever...stupid chiro! Sucking up all my money, just to lie to me!

dice2833 said:
Last year (2003) I had some terrible leg pain, that my chiro said was because I "didn't stretch my legs enough." So, I took up cycling as a way to get rid of my pain. I started riding with a local club, and did easy rides.

I came across a coach from the local team (DICE), and he got me hooked up with their winter training, and I started racing in April of 2004, and haven't been able to stop.

The bad part of the story is that my leg pains are still as bad as ever...stupid chiro! Sucking up all my money, just to lie to me!
Sorry to change the topic but where abouts are you leg pains?

rayner said:
Sorry to change the topic but where abouts are you leg pains?
My leg pains are in my right thigh. Mostly the outer part of the right thigh. I have noticed that it does get worse when I don't do any movement...after i sleep. I am now beginning to think that it might be something to do with the circulation in my leg, but that also doesn't really make sence since riding needs lots of circulation, and it doesn't hurt from riding.

Do you have any thoughts on this?

rayner said:
Always liked riding my bike, was on a trike when I was about three. In Australia each state has an Institute of sport who look after the elite up and coming athletes. Competitive cycling was struggling a little bit here so they included cycling in a talent search program that all high schools in tassie have to take part in. We had to do a few tests like vertical leap, shuttle run, 40m sprint etc. I was lucky enough to be chosen as one of the 8 cyclists that year. We were given a coach and a bike on a bond deal (pay $ get $back when u give bike back job). Havent stopped since.

There's the same type of programme in England, back in june i owned a trek MTB and a man, (now my coach :) ) came to my school and i was helpin out and watching all this kids trying to go round this track and i thought to myself, "i could go bit quicker then them" here i am 6months later in the british cycling talent team :) own a giant TCR and picking up a new trek road bike tomorow :)

Well i always road a bike, just pretty much riding around town... then one faithfull day my Mum gave me a book called 'Its not about the bike' by Lance Armstrong (incase you dont know). I was all like "Whos this guy and whats he all about? :cool: " and "Is this guy realated to Neil Armstrong???". So i read it and....IT WAS GREAT!!! I Watched some of the TdF that year, started riding my bike more, and reading local race reports in the local paper. Then i went to a club meeting and chatted with some of the guys and a couple of months later i got my road bike and started riding/racing...Its a great sport isn't it?

I've always been into biking somewhat...a couple of things got me where I am today:

My dad's boss is a big tourer, and it grew on me. After he gave me one of his old touring bikes (a mid-90s cannondale) I rode almost every day until I noticed the back rim was cracked. Anyway, a couple of years later I was training for my black belt test (I'm into martial arts too) and used the bike to improve my aerobic fitness, and that got me hooked. Next year I'm going to get a racing bike and see what happens. :)

i got my first serious bike from my local shop it was a mountain bike. I then started to ride and got hooked on trying to see how far ans how fast i could ride, got a road bike and that improved my avg speed by 6mph. Then i joined local club and now i'm road racing all in the space of 6 months

I knew how to ride from the age of 6, not rarely did so. The memory of riding around 15km at 8yrs old with my father is what encouraged me to start riding again. Then saw the tour de france in 2000 or 2001 on tv, i was in love with the only North American team there the postal boys. A year later i got a simple $300 mountain bike when i was 16. Started training on that mtb as if it were a road one. I thought of "it's not about the bike". So started to better my times by doing TT to work and school, and did on occasions 100km to 200km rides on the weekend usually by myself. Then 10 months ago after finishing my 3rd marathon i was ready, i had enough money for it. Been racing ever since and got sponsored in my 5th month of riding :p

hmm well i started wen i was about 4 i got a little plastic trike and i rode it down are hill to are other set of garages and off the rockery to about a 10 ft plumet then i stood up and stard up at my dad running down to get me. that was wen i was hookd i loved the addrenalen. then wen i got my first real bike i startd jumping off curbs, then i got a BMX bike and some jumps and jumpd all the time, then i heard some older locals talking about the gultch so i tried it with a friend and loved it *i did it on my BMX bike* then i sold that bike and one i just got for my birthday and had some few hundred in my hand so i went looking for a real mtb...i remember hearing about disc brakes being good and i always had crappy brakes so i bought my first REAL bike and here i am 13 years old 2 years later from buying that bike and i ride to my local gultch EVERY chance i get

~Scott

topcat said:
There's the same type of programme in England, back in june i owned a trek MTB and a man, (now my coach :) ) came to my school and i was helpin out and watching all this kids trying to go round this track and i thought to myself, "i could go bit quicker then them" here i am 6months later in the british cycling talent team :) own a giant TCR and picking up a new trek road bike tomorow :)
I've dreamed of haveing a school cycling team, It's awsome that they actully exist