How dificult is it to change the cables ?

Banatean

Jul 26, 2003
I'm hurtin and bored and since we can't ride the bikes because of a car accident (some idiot rear ended us...$ 6000 in damage !) i will atempt to change the cables (shifters/brakes) on our bikes.Are there any trade secrets that may help me on this ?
Much apreciated.
Dan:confused:

Originally posted by Banatean
I'm hurtin and bored and since we can't ride the bikes because of a car accident (some idiot rear ended us...$ 6000 in damage !) i will atempt to change the cables (shifters/brakes) on our bikes.Are there any trade secrets that may help me on this ?
Much apreciated.
Dan:confused:

changing the cables is easy - it's adjusting derailleurs I mess up.

hint: when you take your old cables off cut your new housing to match the old (takes the guess work out).

Thanks BntBikerChk for the tips,so i did it and it went ok.The kit i used came with all you need and when it came to adjusting the deraileur i had a bit of a problem because it kept missing second gear but with some adjustment i got it.
On one bike i replaced the brake shoes and cables,i think i had more hardtime centering and adjusting them than i did with the shifter cables,even now kinda touches somewhere so further adjustment is needed.
Are you familiar with Teflon coated cables ?...are they better or it's just hipe ?
Thank you.
Dan

Originally posted by Banatean
Thanks BntBikerChk for the tips,so i did it and it went ok.The kit i used came with all you need and when it came to adjusting the deraileur i had a bit of a problem because it kept missing second gear but with some adjustment i got it.
On one bike i replaced the brake shoes and cables,i think i had more hardtime centering and adjusting them than i did with the shifter cables,even now kinda touches somewhere so further adjustment is needed.
Are you familiar with Teflon coated cables ?...are they better or it's just hipe ?
Thank you.
Dan

some people swear by them. some people just say they're hype.

I just buy what's cheap :)