How do Calories fit into this?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by johnb41, Jan 3, 2006.

  1. johnb41

    johnb41 Guest

    Is losing weight ultimately due to consuming low calories? Whether its
    done by low carbing, or low fat, etc?

    Personally i've lost a bunch of inches around my waist by watching my
    carbs. (My family say i'm now way too thin eventhough i say i'm just
    right.) So i'm not bashing Low Carbing at all; it's great!

    But since i'm at my goal, i was questioning whether i need to still
    watch the carbs, or if i can simply just watch calories instead, and
    not gain any weight back.

    Thanks,
    John

    Tags:

  2. Ernst Primer

    Ernst Primer Guest

    johnb41 wrote:
    > Is losing weight ultimately due to consuming low calories? Whether its
    > done by low carbing, or low fat, etc?
    >
    > Personally i've lost a bunch of inches around my waist by watching my
    > carbs. (My family say i'm now way too thin eventhough i say i'm just
    > right.) So i'm not bashing Low Carbing at all; it's great!
    >
    > But since i'm at my goal, i was questioning whether i need to still
    > watch the carbs, or if i can simply just watch calories instead, and
    > not gain any weight back.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > John

    John-

    From what I understand, lots of people have combined low-carbing
    (which typically ignores calorie counting completely in it's most
    popular forms, e.g., Atkins) with calorie counting.

    In terms of my own experience, I've been LC-ing for about the last
    eight months, and I did briefly attempt to restrict calories to see if
    that would give my loss-rate a bit of a bump... well, I found calorie
    counting annoying, time-consuming, and ultimately a waste of time. I
    quit it several months ago and now I'm within a few pounds of my goal.

    To answer your question, yes, I do believe that LC-ing does in the
    end amount to eating less calories (how can it not?), however, I don't
    think you need to consciously count calories to do it properly. It's
    just not necessary, IMHO.

    -Dr P.

    260/204.5/200
    4/27/05

  3. "Ernst Primer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > In terms of my own experience, I've been LC-ing for about the last
    > eight months, and I did briefly attempt to restrict calories to see if
    > that would give my loss-rate a bit of a bump... well, I found calorie
    > counting annoying, time-consuming, and ultimately a waste of time. I
    > quit it several months ago and now I'm within a few pounds of my goal.

    dear dr.p

    congrats on your achievement.
    how about a sample daily menu for us?

    rosie

  4. MightyJen

    MightyJen Guest

    Hi John,

    Its my belief that ultimately, losing weight does involve a low amount of
    dietary calories, however that being said, I also believe that some people
    have a very hard time losing weight when the greater proportion of their
    caloric intake comes from carbohydrates. Kind of a 'your body, your science
    experiment' thing.

    Me personally, I believe that low carb is the healthiest way to eat no
    matter what your weight and that a diet high in carbohydrate is really not
    only unatural, but can be harmful. Congrats on the weightloss, you must
    feel great to have reached a point where you are quite happy with yourself,
    I still have a way to go yet. When I do get to that point, I intend to
    slowly add enough carbohydrate, (healthy carbohydrate...ie - fruit, oatmeal
    etc.) back into my diet to the point where I am not losing and not gaining
    and follow a maintenance diet. I don't see low carb as a quick fix diet,
    but as a way of living and extremely healthy, but if you choose to just do
    low cal. and that works for you great. I just think that if you go back to
    eating the way you ate before you lost weight....hmm....=-)

    Take care,

    Jen

    "johnb41" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Is losing weight ultimately due to consuming low calories? Whether its
    > done by low carbing, or low fat, etc?
    >
    > Personally i've lost a bunch of inches around my waist by watching my
    > carbs. (My family say i'm now way too thin eventhough i say i'm just
    > right.) So i'm not bashing Low Carbing at all; it's great!
    >
    > But since i'm at my goal, i was questioning whether i need to still
    > watch the carbs, or if i can simply just watch calories instead, and
    > not gain any weight back.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > John

  5. Cubit

    Cubit Guest

    Anecdotes claim that those who return to carbs regain their weight, and
    sometimes an additional 10%.

    I'm assuming here, that you are not anorexic, in which case all bets are
    off.

    You might try using Fitday for a review of nutrition. Sometimes low carbers
    are lacking in something like potassium or folates. If you don't check, you
    don't know.

    Calories are the true measure, however, most humans eat ad lib. Thus, the
    calories may change given a change of macronutrient ratios.

    "johnb41" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Is losing weight ultimately due to consuming low calories? Whether its
    > done by low carbing, or low fat, etc?
    >
    > Personally i've lost a bunch of inches around my waist by watching my
    > carbs. (My family say i'm now way too thin eventhough i say i'm just
    > right.) So i'm not bashing Low Carbing at all; it's great!
    >
    > But since i'm at my goal, i was questioning whether i need to still
    > watch the carbs, or if i can simply just watch calories instead, and
    > not gain any weight back.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > John

  6. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    "johnb41" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Is losing weight ultimately due to consuming low calories? Whether its
    > done by low carbing, or low fat, etc?
    >
    > Personally i've lost a bunch of inches around my waist by watching my
    > carbs. (My family say i'm now way too thin eventhough i say i'm just
    > right.) So i'm not bashing Low Carbing at all; it's great!
    >
    > But since i'm at my goal, i was questioning whether i need to still
    > watch the carbs, or if i can simply just watch calories instead, and
    > not gain any weight back.

    Keep doing what you're doing.

  7. Ernst Primer

    Ernst Primer Guest

    Roger Zoul wrote:
    > "johnb41" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Is losing weight ultimately due to consuming low calories? Whether its
    > > done by low carbing, or low fat, etc?
    > >
    > > Personally i've lost a bunch of inches around my waist by watching my
    > > carbs. (My family say i'm now way too thin eventhough i say i'm just
    > > right.) So i'm not bashing Low Carbing at all; it's great!
    > >
    > > But since i'm at my goal, i was questioning whether i need to still
    > > watch the carbs, or if i can simply just watch calories instead, and
    > > not gain any weight back.

    > Keep doing what you're doing.

    That seems exactly like what I said, except I used too many words. :)

  8. Ernst Primer

    Ernst Primer Guest

    readandpostrosie wrote:
    > "Ernst Primer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >

    > > In terms of my own experience, I've been LC-ing for about the last
    > > eight months, and I did briefly attempt to restrict calories to see if
    > > that would give my loss-rate a bit of a bump... well, I found calorie
    > > counting annoying, time-consuming, and ultimately a waste of time. I
    > > quit it several months ago and now I'm within a few pounds of my goal.
    > >

    > dear dr.p
    >
    > congrats on your achievement.
    > how about a sample daily menu for us?
    >
    > rosie

    Hi Rosie!

    OK, you sweet-talked me into it. ;-) This happens to be yesterday's
    menu.

    Breakfast:

    * Coffee (3-4 cups, black)
    * Scrambled eggs (2)
    * Thick-cut bacon (5 pieces)

    Mindmorning snack:

    * 15-20 almonds

    Lunch:

    * 1 grilled cheese sandwich with tomato (made with 2 slices Orowheat
    "carb counting" Whole Wheat bread)
    * 1 small cup vegetarian black bean chili "con carne" (e.g., soy
    protein)

    Midafternoon snack:

    * 1 sugar-free "Red Bull", 2 cans Diet Pepsi

    Dinner:

    * Large dinner salad with more bacon, crumbled feta + Bernstein's
    Italian dressing
    * sugar free jello parfait w/ whipped cream & blueberries

  9. johnb41 wrote:

    > Is losing weight ultimately due to consuming low calories? Whether its
    > done by low carbing, or low fat, etc?

    And due to increased metabolism from stuff like exercise and from
    controlling hormones so ft is withdrawn from storage even though
    it is not burned.

    > But since i'm at my goal, i was questioning whether i need to still
    > watch the carbs, or if i can simply just watch calories instead, and
    > not gain any weight back.

    If you are on a real plan, read the maintenance phase chapter and
    follow the directions. If you're not on a real plan, you just learned
    the difference between following a plan and winging it.

    The question becomes - Will it be easier for you to count calories
    for the next fifty years or to keep the carbs low for the next fifty
    years? Neither will be easy so which one takes less effort is the
    one to go with.

  10. Phil Cav

    Phil Cav Guest

    Had to beat JC to the punch. In the words of JC: "Bread is not low carb."
    Even if it is 100% saw dust "Bread is not low carb." hehe ; )

    "Ernst Primer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > readandpostrosie wrote:
    >> "Ernst Primer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >>

    >> > In terms of my own experience, I've been LC-ing for about the last
    >> > eight months, and I did briefly attempt to restrict calories to see if
    >> > that would give my loss-rate a bit of a bump... well, I found calorie
    >> > counting annoying, time-consuming, and ultimately a waste of time. I
    >> > quit it several months ago and now I'm within a few pounds of my goal.
    >> >

    >> dear dr.p
    >>
    >> congrats on your achievement.
    >> how about a sample daily menu for us?
    >>
    >> rosie

    > Hi Rosie!
    >
    > OK, you sweet-talked me into it. ;-) This happens to be yesterday's
    > menu.
    >
    > Breakfast:
    >
    > * Coffee (3-4 cups, black)
    > * Scrambled eggs (2)
    > * Thick-cut bacon (5 pieces)
    >
    > Mindmorning snack:
    >
    > * 15-20 almonds
    >
    > Lunch:
    >
    > * 1 grilled cheese sandwich with tomato (made with 2 slices Orowheat
    > "carb counting" Whole Wheat bread)
    > * 1 small cup vegetarian black bean chili "con carne" (e.g., soy
    > protein)
    >
    > Midafternoon snack:
    >
    > * 1 sugar-free "Red Bull", 2 cans Diet Pepsi
    >
    > Dinner:
    >
    > * Large dinner salad with more bacon, crumbled feta + Bernstein's
    > Italian dressing
    > * sugar free jello parfait w/ whipped cream & blueberries

  11. Ernst Primer

    Ernst Primer Guest

    Yeah, well, I knew someone would say it. :)

    Phil Cav wrote:
    > Had to beat JC to the punch. In the words of JC: "Bread is not low carb."
    > Even if it is 100% saw dust "Bread is not low carb." hehe ; )
    >
    > "Ernst Primer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > >
    > > readandpostrosie wrote:
    > >> "Ernst Primer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >> news:[email protected]

    > >> dear dr.p
    > >>
    > >> congrats on your achievement.
    > >> how about a sample daily menu for us?
    > >>
    > >> rosie

    > > Hi Rosie!
    > >
    > > OK, you sweet-talked me into it. ;-) This happens to be yesterday's
    > > menu.
    > >
    > > Breakfast:
    > >
    > > * Coffee (3-4 cups, black)
    > > * Scrambled eggs (2)
    > > * Thick-cut bacon (5 pieces)
    > >
    > > Mindmorning snack:
    > >
    > > * 15-20 almonds
    > >
    > > Lunch:
    > >
    > > * 1 grilled cheese sandwich with tomato (made with 2 slices Orowheat
    > > "carb counting" Whole Wheat bread)
    > > * 1 small cup vegetarian black bean chili "con carne" (e.g., soy
    > > protein)
    > >
    > > Midafternoon snack:
    > >
    > > * 1 sugar-free "Red Bull", 2 cans Diet Pepsi
    > >
    > > Dinner:
    > >
    > > * Large dinner salad with more bacon, crumbled feta + Bernstein's
    > > Italian dressing
    > > * sugar free jello parfait w/ whipped cream & blueberries

  12. Ernst Primer

    Phil Cav wrote:
    > Had to beat JC to the punch. In the words of JC: "Bread is not low carb."
    > Even if it is 100% saw dust "Bread is not low carb." hehe ; )
    >
    > "Ernst Primer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > >
    > > readandpostrosie wrote:
    > >> "Ernst Primer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >> news:[email protected]

    > >> dear dr.p
    > >>
    > >> congrats on your achievement.
    > >> how about a sample daily menu for us?
    > >>
    > >> rosie

    > > Hi Rosie!
    > >
    > > OK, you sweet-talked me into it. ;-) This happens to be yesterday's
    > > menu.
    > >
    > > Breakfast:
    > >
    > > * Coffee (3-4 cups, black)
    > > * Scrambled eggs (2)
    > > * Thick-cut bacon (5 pieces)
    > >
    > > Mindmorning snack:
    > >
    > > * 15-20 almonds
    > >
    > > Lunch:
    > >
    > > * 1 grilled cheese sandwich with tomato (made with 2 slices Orowheat
    > > "carb counting" Whole Wheat bread)
    > > * 1 small cup vegetarian black bean chili "con carne" (e.g., soy
    > > protein)
    > >
    > > Midafternoon snack:
    > >
    > > * 1 sugar-free "Red Bull", 2 cans Diet Pepsi
    > >
    > > Dinner:
    > >
    > > * Large dinner salad with more bacon, crumbled feta + Bernstein's
    > > Italian dressing
    > > * sugar free jello parfait w/ whipped cream & blueberries

  13. jbuch

    jbuch Guest

    johnb41 wrote:
    > Is losing weight ultimately due to consuming low calories? Whether its
    > done by low carbing, or low fat, etc?
    >
    > Personally i've lost a bunch of inches around my waist by watching my
    > carbs. (My family say i'm now way too thin eventhough i say i'm just
    > right.) So i'm not bashing Low Carbing at all; it's great!
    >
    > But since i'm at my goal, i was questioning whether i need to still
    > watch the carbs, or if i can simply just watch calories instead, and
    > not gain any weight back.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > John

    It is most often ignored, but Dr. Atkins repeatedly wrote in his book,
    "Eat till satisfied, not stuffed". Yes, I actually went through the
    book and flagged all the times he said this.

    So, if you indeed "Eat till satisfied, not stuffed", don't you think
    that you are going to lose weight.

    If you indeed "Eat till satisfied, not stuffed", sounds like the old
    fashioned advice to:

    "push your chair away from the table before you make a pig out of
    yourself".

    As others have pointed out, if you really want to count the calories,
    please go ahead and do it. But, as my father would say:

    ..... "who needs to count calories if you push yourself away from the
    tabe before you stuff your face too full?"

    Not everyone needs to lose weight by the method of counting calories, as
    for thousands of years, people managed and mismanaged their weight
    without the idea of calorie counting.

    Calorie counting started in the very late 19th century when O. W.
    Atwater at the USDA measured the energy content in foods with an Oxygen
    Bomb Calorimeter, and he published a booklet which contained the
    information.

    So, before the 20th century, nobody lost weight by counting calories,
    because there was no table of calories to use to count from.

    So, today, it clearly still isn't necessary to count calories, but if
    you wish to do so, by all means go ahead.

    Thank the US Government for giving you the original calorie counting
    tool, paid for by your taxes.

    Your taxes at work.

    Jim

    --
    1) Eat Till SATISFIED, Not STUFFED... Atkins repeated 9 times in the book
    2) Exercise: It's Non-Negotiable..... Chapter 22 title, Atkins book

  14. johnb41

    johnb41 Guest

    Thanks everyone for all your help and advice! Still not sure what
    approach i should take yet though...

    Leaning toward low carbing because it's been not so hard so far...

    Thanks!

    John