how do dress like a dork (winter biking apparel)

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by what does THIS button do?, Dec 15, 2005.

  1. your dashing correspondent displaying sartorial excellence

    <http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/74025870/>

    ..max

    Tags:

  2. Bill Sornson

    Bill Sornson Guest

    what does THIS button do? wrote:
    > your dashing correspondent displaying sartorial excellence
    >
    > <http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/74025870/>

    That's 14 seconds of life I'll never retrieve.

    <eg>

  3. Zoot Katz

    Zoot Katz Guest

    On 15 Dec 2005 21:50:41 -0800, "what does THIS button do?"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >your dashing correspondent displaying sartorial excellence
    >
    ><http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/74025870/>

    It looks like you could be dunked in a giant slurpee and survive.
    --
    zk

  4. Gooserider

    Gooserider Guest

  5. Robert Uhl

    Robert Uhl Guest

    I just wear long johns, slacks, shirt, sweater & scarf. The most
    annoying thing is that if I cover my mouth with the scarf then my breath
    condenses on my glasses. I ought to figure out a way to fix that.

    Sometimes I'll toss a tweed coat on top of it all. And I never wear a
    Silly Plastic Cap of Magical Protection, partly 'cause it ruins the
    look. I may get a luminescent vest, though--they are a Good Idea.

    `What would you do if you won $1,000,000?'
    `Well, I guess I'd spend the first $900,000 on women and beer, then just
    waste the rest.'

  6. The Wogster

    The Wogster Guest

    what does THIS button do? wrote:
    > your dashing correspondent displaying sartorial excellence
    >
    > <http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/74025870/>

    Better to be alive warm and looking like a dork then a frozen dead
    duck.....

  7. Fritz M

    Fritz M Guest

  8. Gooserider

    Gooserider Guest

  9. Dorkier than what? Getting run over? Hypothermia?

    - -
    These comments compliments of,
    Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman

    My web Site:
    http://geocities.com/czcorner

    To E-mail me:
    ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

  10. Fritz M

    Fritz M Guest

  11. max

    max Guest

  12. Zoot Katz

    Zoot Katz Guest

    On 17 Dec 2005 21:26:02 -0800, "Fritz M" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Chris Z The Wheelman wrote:
    >> Dorkier than what? Getting run over? Hypothermia?

    >Here's a contrary view to the doctrine of "Please Don't Kill Me
    >Yellow."
    >
    > http://cyclebetter.com/blogs/citizen.rider/archive/2005/10/26/156.aspx

    But in his sumation, he seems to agree:

    "Please Don’t Kill Me Yellow becomes useful in the fall, when days are
    short and commuters in particular may have to ride in the dusk. It’s
    also excellent in the fog. I got a PDKMY vest this fall, when we had a
    string of foggy days. In the dusk, when new, PDKMY garments actually
    seem to glow. They definitely enhance visibility in low light. At that
    point, aesthetics take a back seat to practicality. But given the
    chance I will choose aesthetics when I can."

    That's why I prefer YDRYSM!DFHP.
    "You're damn right you see me! day-glo flourescent hot pink."

    Another reason is that I don't like looking like a security guard so
    that I get no respect.

    The bright yellow rain jacket is for when I wish to ride anonymously
    and blend in. . . or when it's raining and the days are short and grey
    all day anyway.

    It's hard for anyone to look like a dork when they're riding a bike.
    --
    zk

  13. On 2005-12-18, willarch <[email protected]> wrote:
    > 3. Ignore the opinions of fashionistas and others, particularly
    > non-cyclists, who want to dictate what you should look like. Cycling
    > clothing is worn because it's the best clothing for cycling, not any
    > other reason.

    Yeah, I'm confused when this became a fashion issue. I wear the most
    appropriate (i.e. warm, visible and rain protected) and comfortable
    gear. I don't understand the concern for how you look.

    > Obviously be as neat and smart as you can, but following fashion for
    > fashion's sake is the lousiest reason for doing anything. OK for
    > lemmings and sheep, I suppose, but a smart lemming doesn't follow the
    > others over the cliff, and a smart sheep doesn't follow the rest into
    > the abattoir! A live dork is better than a dead fashion plate.

    Yeah. Exactly. And sheep generally get slaughtered and sheered, so....

    > And if clothing manufacurers want you to cover yourself with
    > advertising, they should pay you. You shouldn't be paying them to act
    > as a moving display board.

    :)

    A man to my own heart.

    Preston

    Admitted dork on my bike

  14. Fritz M

    Fritz M Guest

    willarch wrote:

    > 3. Ignore the opinions of fashionistas and others..

    ....And then gives fashion advice:

    > And if clothing manufacurers want you to cover yourself with
    > advertising, they should pay you.

    Which part of your conflicting advice should we ignore?

    RFM

  15. Fritz M

    Fritz M Guest

    willarch wrote:

    > 2. Be seen in the dark.

    But how does dressing like a "dork" (which seems to the main point of
    most of your article) help in this regard? Dayglo is nearly worthless
    in the dark against car headlights. You need reflectors and active
    lighting.

    I'm partly being a troll in my previoius posts -- I wear plenty of
    flourescent yellow and otherwise dress to be seen. I eschew advertising
    on my clothing -- but you, Preston, Zoot and others are making unfair
    and absurd value judgements in your posts. I don't consider myself
    better than the cyclist who wears full team kit. I wear plain clothing
    because I value modesty and "plain-ness" over flash and attention, but
    that's just me and I don't hold anything against my buddies wearing
    team jerseys.

    Here's a website worthy of mention in that regard:

    http://www.blackjersey.org/

    RFM

  16. Fritz M

    Fritz M Guest

    willarch wrote:

    > 2. Be seen in the dark.

    But how does dressing like a "dork" (which seems to the main point of
    most of your article) help in this regard? Dayglo is nearly worthless
    in the dark against car headlights. You need reflectors and active
    lighting.

    I'm partly being a troll in my previoius posts -- I wear plenty of
    flourescent yellow and otherwise dress to be seen. I eschew advertising
    on my clothing -- but you and Preston are making unfair