how do dress like a dork (winter biking apparel)

what does THIS button do?

Guest
your dashing correspondent displaying sartorial excellence

<http://www.flickr.com/photos/86932068@N00/74025870/>

..max

what does THIS button do? wrote:
> your dashing correspondent displaying sartorial excellence
>
> <http://www.flickr.com/photos/86932068@N00/74025870/>

That's 14 seconds of life I'll never retrieve.

<eg>

On 15 Dec 2005 21:50:41 -0800, "what does THIS button do?"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>your dashing correspondent displaying sartorial excellence
>
><http://www.flickr.com/photos/86932068@N00/74025870/>

It looks like you could be dunked in a giant slurpee and survive.
--
zk

I just wear long johns, slacks, shirt, sweater & scarf. The most
annoying thing is that if I cover my mouth with the scarf then my breath
condenses on my glasses. I ought to figure out a way to fix that.

Sometimes I'll toss a tweed coat on top of it all. And I never wear a
Silly Plastic Cap of Magical Protection, partly 'cause it ruins the
look. I may get a luminescent vest, though--they are a Good Idea.

`What would you do if you won $1,000,000?'
`Well, I guess I'd spend the first $900,000 on women and beer, then just
waste the rest.'

what does THIS button do? wrote:
> your dashing correspondent displaying sartorial excellence
>
> <http://www.flickr.com/photos/86932068@N00/74025870/>

Better to be alive warm and looking like a dork then a frozen dead
duck.....

Dorkier than what? Getting run over? Hypothermia?

- -
These comments compliments of,
Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman

My web Site:
http://geocities.com/czcorner

To E-mail me:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

On 17 Dec 2005 21:26:02 -0800, "Fritz M" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Chris Z The Wheelman wrote:
>> Dorkier than what? Getting run over? Hypothermia?

>Here's a contrary view to the doctrine of "Please Don't Kill Me
>Yellow."
>
> http://cyclebetter.com/blogs/citizen.rider/archive/2005/10/26/156.aspx

But in his sumation, he seems to agree:

"Please Don’t Kill Me Yellow becomes useful in the fall, when days are
short and commuters in particular may have to ride in the dusk. It’s
also excellent in the fog. I got a PDKMY vest this fall, when we had a
string of foggy days. In the dusk, when new, PDKMY garments actually
seem to glow. They definitely enhance visibility in low light. At that
point, aesthetics take a back seat to practicality. But given the
chance I will choose aesthetics when I can."

That's why I prefer YDRYSM!DFHP.
"You're damn right you see me! day-glo flourescent hot pink."

Another reason is that I don't like looking like a security guard so
that I get no respect.

The bright yellow rain jacket is for when I wish to ride anonymously
and blend in. . . or when it's raining and the days are short and grey
all day anyway.

It's hard for anyone to look like a dork when they're riding a bike.
--
zk

On 2005-12-18, willarch <[email protected]> wrote:
> 3. Ignore the opinions of fashionistas and others, particularly
> non-cyclists, who want to dictate what you should look like. Cycling
> clothing is worn because it's the best clothing for cycling, not any
> other reason.

Yeah, I'm confused when this became a fashion issue. I wear the most
appropriate (i.e. warm, visible and rain protected) and comfortable
gear. I don't understand the concern for how you look.

> Obviously be as neat and smart as you can, but following fashion for
> fashion's sake is the lousiest reason for doing anything. OK for
> lemmings and sheep, I suppose, but a smart lemming doesn't follow the
> others over the cliff, and a smart sheep doesn't follow the rest into
> the abattoir! A live dork is better than a dead fashion plate.

Yeah. Exactly. And sheep generally get slaughtered and sheered, so....

> And if clothing manufacurers want you to cover yourself with
> advertising, they should pay you. You shouldn't be paying them to act
> as a moving display board.

:)

A man to my own heart.

Preston

Admitted dork on my bike

willarch wrote:

> 3. Ignore the opinions of fashionistas and others..

....And then gives fashion advice:

> And if clothing manufacurers want you to cover yourself with
> advertising, they should pay you.

Which part of your conflicting advice should we ignore?

RFM

willarch wrote:

> 2. Be seen in the dark.

But how does dressing like a "dork" (which seems to the main point of
most of your article) help in this regard? Dayglo is nearly worthless
in the dark against car headlights. You need reflectors and active
lighting.

I'm partly being a troll in my previoius posts -- I wear plenty of
flourescent yellow and otherwise dress to be seen. I eschew advertising
on my clothing -- but you, Preston, Zoot and others are making unfair
and absurd value judgements in your posts. I don't consider myself
better than the cyclist who wears full team kit. I wear plain clothing
because I value modesty and "plain-ness" over flash and attention, but
that's just me and I don't hold anything against my buddies wearing
team jerseys.

Here's a website worthy of mention in that regard:

http://www.blackjersey.org/

RFM

willarch wrote:

> 2. Be seen in the dark.

But how does dressing like a "dork" (which seems to the main point of
most of your article) help in this regard? Dayglo is nearly worthless
in the dark against car headlights. You need reflectors and active
lighting.

I'm partly being a troll in my previoius posts -- I wear plenty of
flourescent yellow and otherwise dress to be seen. I eschew advertising
on my clothing -- but you and Preston are making unfair