How do I add cages to a track frame w/ no braze ons?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Mike Quetel, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. Mike Quetel

    Mike Quetel Guest

    Hi all,

    I've got a track bike (Bianchi Pista) that I am using as a fixed gear for winter training on the
    road. Unfortunately, the frame is not drilled to accept cages. I'm curious if anyone has suggestions
    for solving this shortcoming in an elegant way. I'm not real excited about resorting to a camelback
    or using hose clamps. BTW, the pista is a steel frame.

    Thanks in advance,

    Mike

    Tags:

  2. Mike Quetel <[email protected]_nospam_attbi.com> wrote:
    : I've got a track bike (Bianchi Pista) that I am using as a fixed gear for winter training on the
    : road. Unfortunately, the frame is not drilled to accept cages. I'm curious if anyone has
    : suggestions for solving this shortcoming in an elegant way.

    i have the same problem. usually i just stuff a small water botle into my jersey pocket. you could
    try a behind the seat waterbottle cage like this one by profile design:

    http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?page=8&description=Aqua+Rack&vendorCode=PROFILE&major=3&minor=12

    it may interfere with a saddle bag, tho.
    --
    david reuteler [email protected]

  3. Mike Murray

    Mike Murray Guest

    Zip ties work perfect on mine. I am using a plastic cage. A little Shoe Goo would make a metal cage
    a bit more friendly for the zip tie mount.
    --
    Mike Murray

    "Mike Quetel" <[email protected]_nospam_attbi.com> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I've got a track bike (Bianchi Pista) that I am using as a fixed gear for winter training on the
    > road. Unfortunately, the frame is not drilled to accept cages. I'm curious if anyone has
    > suggestions for solving this shortcoming in an elegant way. I'm not real excited about resorting
    > to a camelback or using hose clamps. BTW, the pista is a steel frame.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Mike

  4. "Mike Quetel" asked:

    >...the frame is not drilled to accept cages. I'm curious if anyone has suggestions for solving this
    >shortcoming in an elegant way.

    Check out the different mounts Minoura offers <http://www.minoura.co.jp/acc-e.html>, I really
    like the handlebar mounts BH-60, BH-2B and QB-90. Your LBS should be able to order some.

    Roy H. Drinkwater

  5. Erik Brooks

    Erik Brooks Guest

    I found a longish web page dedicated to exactly this, with lotsa pictures:

    http://www.nordicgroup.us/cageboss.htm

    BTW, a local framebuilder told me that it would cost about $25 to add the new style bottle
    braze-ons, not including paint repairs. Just a thought.

    erik Brooks

  6. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Mike Quetel" <[email protected]_nospam_attbi.com> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I've got a track bike (Bianchi Pista) that I am using as a fixed gear for winter training on the
    > road. Unfortunately, the frame is not drilled to accept cages. I'm curious if anyone has
    > suggestions for solving this shortcoming in an elegant way. I'm not real excited about resorting
    > to a camelback or using hose clamps. BTW, the pista is a steel frame.

    The RivNuts ( that's a brand name for threaded pop-rivets) that are used for alternate materials
    work just fine in steel frames. Many LBS have them, and the special tool to set them.

    If you're looking for a bolt-on solution, Zefal's "Gizmo" nylon bottle cage clamps are IMHO superior
    to all others. They do not move and they do not scratch paint. Cheap, too.

  7. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Zefal Gizmo clamps! Got a set from Excel Sports and put 'em on several years ago. Haven't had a bit
    of trouble with them!

    "Mike Quetel" <[email protected]_nospam_attbi.com> wrote in news:HpPS9.281483 [email protected]:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I've got a track bike (Bianchi Pista) that I am using as a fixed gear for winter training on the
    > road. Unfortunately, the frame is not drilled to accept cages. I'm curious if anyone has
    > suggestions for solving this shortcoming in an elegant way.

  8. Tony Healy

    Tony Healy Guest

    http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?page=8&description=Saddle+Wing&vendorCode =XLAB&major=3&minor=12

    I use one of these things on my Bianchi track bike and it works great. You may have to bend it a
    little (very little) so it doesn't hit your butt. You can use a saddlebag with it. Plus you can
    mount a mini-pump under one of the cages (since it uses standard bottle cages, and mini pumps
    usually come with brackets to be mounted under a cage).

    But you may need to get used to reaching behind to get the bottle. Actually, it's more of an issue
    when you're first trying to reach and put the bottle back, since you have to keep pedaling and can't
    really steal a glance at the cage. So you end up feeling around a bit to get the bottle
    located/oriented properly with the cage. Got used to it pretty quickly tho.

    Tony

    "David Reuteler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Mike Quetel <[email protected]_nospam_attbi.com> wrote:
    > : I've got a track bike (Bianchi Pista) that I am using as a fixed gear
    for
    > : winter training on the road. Unfortunately, the frame is not drilled to accept cages. I'm
    > : curious if anyone has suggestions for solving this shortcoming in an elegant way.
    >
    > i have the same problem. usually i just stuff a small water botle into my jersey pocket. you could
    > try a behind the seat waterbottle cage like this one by profile design:

    http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?page=8&description=Aqua+Rack&vendorCode=P ROFILE&major=3&minor=12

    > it may interfere with a saddle bag, tho.
    > --
    > david reuteler [email protected]

  9. Mike Quetel

    >>I've got a track bike (Bianchi Pista) that I am using as a fixed gear for winter training on the
    >>road. Unfortunately, the frame is not drilled to accept cages. I'm curious if anyone has
    >>suggestions for solving this shortcoming in an elegant way. I'm not real excited about resorting
    >>to a camelback or using hose clamps.

    Check out the cool Minoura handlebar mounts, let you pretend you're Jacques Anqueteil!
    http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/accessories.html

    Sheldon "Still A Good Idea" Brown +------------------------------------------------------------+
    | A touchstone to determine the actual worth of an | "intellectual"--find out how he feels about
    | astrology. | --Robert A. Heinlein |
    +------------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton,

  10. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    > On Wed, 08 Jan 2003 06:19:19 GMT, "Mike Quetel" <[email protected]_nospam_attbi.com> wrote:
    > >I've got a track bike (Bianchi Pista) that I am using as a fixed gear for winter training on the
    > >road. Unfortunately, the frame is not drilled to accept cages. I'm curious if anyone has
    > >suggestions for solving this shortcoming in an elegant way. I'm not real excited about resorting
    > >to a camelback or using hose clamps. BTW, the pista is a steel frame.

    "John Everett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Probably the most elegant way, other than braze-ons and a repaint, would be Rivnuts. See:
    >
    > http://www.bollhoff-rivnut.com/
    >
    > There's an "American" sized nut that works just fine with the metric screws we use for holding
    > water bottle cages. I'm sort of guessing here but perhaps it's a 10-24 and the screw is an M5 x .8
    > or so. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
    >
    > Anyway, I had a Rivnut on my Vitus 992 replaced several years ago at a local FBO. Most A&Ps have
    > Rivnut tools, but I've heard some Cannondale dealers also are so equipped. They probably would
    > have the correct metric size.

    Nearly right. The SEA bolt nearest an M5x0.8 is a #10-32

  11. On Wed, 08 Jan 2003 01:19:19 -0500, Mike Quetel wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I've got a track bike (Bianchi Pista) that I am using as a fixed gear for winter training on the
    > road. Unfortunately, the frame is not drilled to accept cages. I'm curious if anyone has
    > suggestions for solving this shortcoming in an elegant way. I'm not real excited about resorting
    > to a camelback or using hose clamps. BTW, the pista is a steel frame.

    I use; well not hose clamps, but extra fancy made just for a bike clamps that of course are
    functionally equivalent. They work fine.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | The lottery is a tax on those who fail to understand _`\(,_ | mathematics. (_)/ (_) |

  12. Ed Ness

    Ed Ness Guest

    For those interested in using Rivnuts, don't worry about the need for the setting tool. The tool is
    great to speed up the setting process but is not strictly necessary. The key is to make a small
    holding bracket which is used to keep the nut from turning while crimping. Take a small strip of
    metal approx. 4+ inches long and drill a hole in one end slightly larger than the threads in the
    Rivnut. Take a hex head screw with threads that match the Rivnut threads, put the screw though the
    hole in the bracket and then thread it all the way down into the Rivnut. Next, hold the bracket with
    one hand and tighten down the screw with the other in order to crush down the Rivnut. The bracket
    will keep the Rivnut from turning by blocking the rotational forces of the screw head against the
    head of the Rivnut.

    I've used this process many many times without issue. Works like a champ.

    Ed Ness

  13. John Everett

    John Everett Guest

    On Wed, 8 Jan 2003 21:22:04 -0600, "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"John Everett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> Probably the most elegant way, other than braze-ons and a repaint, would be Rivnuts. See:
    >>
    >> http://www.bollhoff-rivnut.com/
    >>
    >> There's an "American" sized nut that works just fine with the metric screws we use for holding
    >> water bottle cages. I'm sort of guessing here but perhaps it's a 10-24 and the screw is an M5 x
    >> .8 or so. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
    >>
    >> Anyway, I had a Rivnut on my Vitus 992 replaced several years ago at a local FBO. Most A&Ps have
    >> Rivnut tools, but I've heard some Cannondale dealers also are so equipped. They probably would
    >> have the correct metric size.
    >

    >Nearly right. The SEA bolt nearest an M5x0.8 is a #10-32

    Nearly right. It's SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers).

    BTW, I found a nice write-up on Rivnuts at:

    http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/rivnuts.php

    Note that a 1/2" 10-32 Rivnut costs $0.33(US). The insertion tool is slightly more expensive.

  14. Eric

    Eric Guest

    Be careful to not crank it too tight. I couldn't get the thing to hold tight and ended up splitting
    the metal the first time I used it.

    Would have worked better with rubber between it and the seatpost.

    David Reuteler <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<3e1bcca3$0$23987$a186[email protected]>...
    > Mike Quetel <[email protected]_nospam_attbi.com> wrote:
    > : I've got a track bike (Bianchi Pista) that I am using as a fixed gear for winter training on the
    > : road. Unfortunately, the frame is not drilled to accept cages. I'm curious if anyone has
    > : suggestions for solving this shortcoming in an elegant way.
    >
    > i have the same problem. usually i just stuff a small water botle into my jersey pocket. you could
    > try a behind the seat waterbottle cage like this one by profile design:
    >
    > http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?page=8&description=Aqua+Rack&vendorCode=PROFILE&major=3&-
    > minor=12
    >
    > it may interfere with a saddle bag, tho.

  15. Mark Lee

    Mark Lee Guest

    > > Mike Quetel <[email protected]_nospam_attbi.com> wrote:
    > > : I've got a track bike (Bianchi Pista) that I am using as a fixed gear
    for
    > > : winter training on the road. Unfortunately, the frame is not drilled
    > > : accept cages. I'm curious if anyone has suggestions for solving this shortcoming in an elegant
    > > : way.

    I had my 30 yr old Hoffy (NOT Huffy) modified and painted by a framebuilder in April last year
    http://216.118.66.244/~leearc/lee/mark/trk_bk1.jpg Mark Lee