How Do I Find A Bicycle Route?

BobCochran

May 3, 2015
How do I work out a good bicycle route from here to some distant location? Is there a method or a piece of hardware (like a GPS bike computer) or both that I am missing? So far I've been using the "bicycle directions" that Google Maps gives me, and I'm not too sure Google Maps offers me the best bicycle routes.

Case in point: I played with working out a route from Greenbelt, Maryland, USA, to Cherry Hill, New Jersey, USA. Google's bicycle directions have me going on US 40 East for a 17 mile segment. I thought that road is a high speed highway -- but it has been a long time since I've driven a car on it.

Then I get routed through Philadelphia (shudder) and there is one water crossing which I presume means I take a ferry to the other side of the Delaware River.

What would you more experienced cyclists do to map out such a route? I'm only listing the Cherry Hill destination as an example. I'd like to ride really long distances, some day, like to Montreal. There must be some route-mapping method that I'm missing (smile.)

Thanks a ton

Bob

You could look at Strava for routes people ride in the area you want to ride. Another place I look is www.crazyguyonabike.com. This website is where people write journals of their trips all over the world. Search in North Amercia.

Reactions: BobCochran
Some of the mapping websites have walking, bus and cycling options.

Most states have a cycling trails website. https://www.google.com/search?q=ohio+cycling+trails&ie=&oe=

There's Rails-To-Trails: http://www.railstotrails.org/

STRAVA, MapMyRide, Garmin Connect, Cateye Atlas, BikeRouteToaster, RideWithGPS, Bikely.com, TrainingPeaks, etc.

Local cycling clubs often publish map and course sections on their websites.

Believe it or not...I know this will be difficult, but try it...paper maps still provide tons of information to cyclists. You see how those roads get printed smaller and smaller as they go from 4-lane interstates to tertiary county roads? Well, that generally means safer for cycling and less high speed traffic flying by. A Road Atlas is an invaluable tool for ride planning.​

Remember, there is NOTHING trustworthy to YOUR taste in routes. 19 of 20 cyclists might NOT feet safe on any given plotted route or course, yet it may be a popularly ridden one because nothing else is in that area. You have to test things out for yourself. That's part of the adventure of touring by bicycle.

@CampyBob thanks a ton for the suggestions. I will start looking at paper maps. I had wondered how Scott Weinstock planned his trans-America ride. Perhaps this, the cycling trails websites, and Rails-to-Trails and local clubs helped him and certainly will help me.

Thanks

Bob

There are a lot of signposts marked with cycle routes in my area but of course that may not be the case where you are.

I study maps and Google Maps a lot to see if I can work out a route on it and while there are routes listed I usually make my own route. The map reading is pretty much a guide to me.

Good luck and I hope you get a route sorted! :)

@Susimi thanks very much. It could be that H. M. Government has a cartography office that provides good quality maps in your area. Here in the USA, I think one of our governmental departments, the U. S. Geological Survey, offers topographical maps but not road maps.

I suppose I should get the Rand McNally branded maps? Any thoughts?

Thanks a ton

Bob

"I had wondered how Scott Weinstock planned his trans-America ride."

You could go to his blog...figure out his email address...and ask him. I'm sure he would tell you how he routed his trip.

Sometimes though, a man's got to go down to the street corner and decide whether to turn to the left or to the right.

Scott road some really sketchy routes and the Ohio State Highway Patrol chased him off a limited access 4-lane I would not have been caught dead on. I rode with him to an Ohio State Route that, again, I would NOT have ridden on a dare...too much traffic, speed limit too high, no safe berm. Nope. No way. But, sometimes a man's got to do what a man's got to do.

Sometimes there's a decently safe, scenic or low traffic count way to get somewhere and sometimes there isn't. The East Coast is highly developed. That means the road grid is fully built out and your choice of secondary and tertiary roads is nearly unlimited. Not knowing your exact preferences, if it were me I would navigate by low traffic count and jog North and East using the compass heading screen on the Garmin.

Speaking of Garmin's, why don't you buy yourself a 1000 and U.S.A. map set for it?

@CampyBob, thank you very much for the suggestions. I've sent an email to Scott. I'll likely get a paper Rand McNally map, too. I see what you mean about having to decide whether to turn left or right.

The Garmin Edge looks very interesting to me. Buying it will require spouse approval. I'll do the best I can at my "Bike MS City to Shore" event, and see if my performance impresses her enough to get an okay to buy the Garmin.

Thanks a ton, Bob!

Bob

MN has a statewide bicycle map that lists all of the major roads and how bike friendly they are. Check your local state DMV website to check if they offer something similar.

I also use google maps with the bicycling option, but it is not perfect. It has sent me on plenty of unpaved roads. I also use google satellite view to check if roads are paved or not.

When I travelled I tried using Strava to find routes, but I found that there are segments and routes on roads that are unpleasant to ride on.

In the end, I have found the best routes on my long rides through a bit of preplanning and trial and error.

I've always used Google Maps, and it has been just perfect for my needs. And yes, I've managed to discover some unique roots which I never knew existed, even in places that I've visited before. Looking out for signposts, especially in more touristy parts is another sure sign that you may be close to some lesser-known routes.