How do I get better at climbing

mortimer99

Jul 19, 2007
I live in Northern California, and where I live, in the Santa Cruz Mountains, there really is no flat. So I am trying to figure out how to climb better...since...well...thats all there is to do, and it's enjoyable. Here is what I haven't figured out.

I have a HR monitor (actually a garmin 305), my climbs are anywhere from 1500-3000 ft per and I do one if not 2 a ride, and I am trying to figure out what zone to climb in. I have done the firel (sp?) TT test for LT and for me(at 39) is at about 161 bpm. I have recently been climbing in zone 5 or at my LT. I can do this for maybe 30 +- min if I am right at the LT level, if I go up, its a killer.

In order to improve, should I back off then do intervals on these climbs, so go into zone 3 then hit it hard as I can, then recover? Or is climbing at LT going to garner improvements?

Little background, I have mountain biked casually for about 20 years, and just started road biking in Feb. I am riding about 6 hours a week, about 100 miles and about 7500 feet of climbing, 6'2" 185 lbs.

Besides loosing weight (which is enivatable at this point) any pointers?

thanks

Try some hills in a large gear and then try them in smaller gears pedaling faster. Sit back on the seat and push. Don't stand too much. End rides with a qtr mile of standing up on relatively flat ground in big gears. Basically mix it up. try different hills.

I ride with a guy that shy's away from any hill because he's only been riding for a month. I got him to try a small hill and he made it half way up. One week later, he tried again and made it. He didn't over-breathe and he sat. The first time he tried he sounded like he was going to pop he was sucking in so much air...