how do i get faster?

brownwrap

Sep 11, 2003
i attend an hour and a half spin-type class, and ride on the weekends. currently i ride a pedestrian 9 hour century, with the rest breaks etc. i reaaly need to cut that time down. how does one get faster?

I bet you can do it in 8 hours if you dont stop for breaks and snacks. and to get faster just ride faster suffer more, ride your bike like you stole it.

I'm with Zaskar, if you can do 1.5 hours of spinning it sounds like you could take fewer breaks and ride/try a bit harder!

Remember the faster you go, the shorter the ride, the harder you can go, the faster you go...........

Change your cadence. Spin faster against a lower resistance like you're Lance going up Ventoux. And just don't slow your leg speed. Easy.

I actually need to get to a 7 hour century by June.

Originally posted by zaskar
I bet you can do it in 8 hours if you dont stop for breaks and snacks. and to get faster just ride faster suffer more, ride your bike like you stole it.

Originally posted by brownwrap

If you want to ride a 7 hour century, one approach you could take is to train at your goal pace and above. E.g., if you plan on four 5 minute stops, you'll need to average 15 mph on the bike.

You could train at this 15 mph pace for progressively longer distances, working up to a long rides of 60-75 miles in May. You might want try a harder ride at say 16-17 mph once a week for a shorter distance, or just put some 20 minute tempo sessions into your regular rides.

I'm sure you'll get other suggestions; lots of programs out there.

Originally posted by brownwrap

How long have you been riding your bike? you have plenty of time to reach the goal of 7 hours, also what kind of bike are you riding road bike, mtb, tour bike? is the century a race or pleasure ride? also how often are you attending these spin classes each week, also you say you do a 9 hour century on the weekends is that all in 1 day or 50 sat / 50 miles sun? and you say a pedestrian century is this a walking path? do you have to slow for people that can hang up your time alot.

I have been riding since March of last year. Maybe I should have said I ride the ceturies at a pedestrian pace, to make it more clear. I have ridden three centuries, and the all have been around nine hours. These were the organized type rides, like the Amtrak Centuriy. As far as my bike goes, I have a Cannondale. CAAD 5 frame. My spin classes are twice a week. Basically I need a 7 hour century in order to complete an Ironman. The Ironman that I have entered is IMCDA, in Idaho, late June. The race starts at 7;00 am. I have 2 hours and 20 minutes to complete a 2.4 mile swim. Assumming I can do that, I move on to the bike. The swim is two 1.2 mile loops. The bike leg is similar, two 56 mile loops. The final leg must be completed by 5:30, there is a cutoff for each loop as well. Finally I have until midnight to do the marathon. In 5 marathons, my time is 6 hours. So if I add up my standalone times for each, I am bumping up again the 17 hour disqualification time.

i would also reccomend you ride more, 3 hours a week of spin may not be enough. from my experience, and my century goals (under5 hours) i had to increase hours on the bike 12- 15 hours a week. i also ride alot of hills and do intervals, hard sprints for as long as i can. it sounds like you dont push yourself wich you are going to have to do get faster. also nutrition is a big factor for long rides, also try to find a group of guys who ride just a bit faster then you, riding with faster people make you faster.
im no expert but to get faster you simply have got to ride harder. let us know how your improving, good luck.

One thing to remember is that a friend of mine who races in triatholons had said 50% training is on the bike.