How do I get started in power training?

Mish

Feb 28, 2004
I have logged my hr, speed, distance, effort, time, route, and dogs encountered for about 3 years. It's getting old logging in...60 miles, avg. speed 17.7, avg. hr. 153, felt good, Blah, Blah, Blah. I would like to get into power training to maximize my limited time on the bike and be able to set goals and training plans for upcoming events that I will be doing. Is there a book or other resource to help me get started.

Go here, it will give you lots of references including the book to get.
http://trainwithpower.net/
A coach might be worthwhile considering as well.
Mish said:
I have logged my hr, speed, distance, effort, time, route, and dogs encountered for about 3 years. It's getting old logging in...60 miles, avg. speed 17.7, avg. hr. 153, felt good, Blah, Blah, Blah. I would like to get into power training to maximize my limited time on the bike and be able to set goals and training plans for upcoming events that I will be doing. Is there a book or other resource to help me get started.

Mish said:

"Training and racing with a powermeter" by Hunter Allen and Andrew Coggan Ph.D

Don't let the title fool you, it has as much benefit (if not more) to people without powermeters with similar objectives as yourself.

Mish said:
You dont need a powermeter to have specific goals.