How do i get the inside of a Valve Extensioner out of a carbon rim?

How do i get the inside of a Valve Extensioner out of a carbon rim?
I have one hole (valve size) and a smaller hole on each side which is
a spoke hole that i can poke into.

Shaking has done nothing, as the valve is lying flat and the hole is
straight up and down..

grrrrrrr, it is a topeak Valve Extensioner and the inside sh1t itself
and fell in and i am not happy.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
> How do i get the inside of a Valve Extensioner out of a carbon rim?
> I have one hole (valve size) and a smaller hole on each side which is
> a spoke hole that i can poke into.
>
> Shaking has done nothing, as the valve is lying flat and the hole is
> straight up and down..
>
> grrrrrrr, it is a topeak Valve Extensioner and the inside sh1t itself
> and fell in and i am not happy.

I use MIG wire (Mig welder welding wire). Its very thin and quite strong.
I get a pair of pliers and make a really small hook at one end, then use it
to get pieces of metal like that out. The last 3 rims I've bought have had
a round piece of metal inside them I'm assuming is from when they drill the
valve hole, enough metal to really annoy me while building the wheel. Got
it out piece of cake with the wire hook...

HTH

Cheers Dre

will do once it looses up it is stuck at the other end of the rim,
probably caught on a spoke, it rattles but isnt moving out. Will it
be doing damage there?

[email protected] wrote:
> How do i get the inside of a Valve Extensioner out of a carbon rim?
> I have one hole (valve size) and a smaller hole on each side which is
> a spoke hole that i can poke into.
>
> Shaking has done nothing, as the valve is lying flat and the hole is
> straight up and down..
>
> grrrrrrr, it is a topeak Valve Extensioner and the inside sh1t itself
> and fell in and i am not happy.

Heh! Your situation reminds me of an old joke:

Father O'Leary is visiting the Seamus O'Flannery Reform School For
Sinful Boys, when he accidentally locks his keys in his car. He
consults with the warden, err, "Headmaster", who says:
"Oh, young Johnny is in here for stealing cars, he'll be able to get
your keys out!"
They summon young Johnny to the car, and explain that they'd like him
to use his talents to retrieve Father O'Leary's keys.
"No worries Father!" says Johnny. He picks up half a brick, pitches
it through the window then reaches in and pulls the keys out of the
ignition.
"There ya go!"

(You can probably guess what my solution would involve. You're
probably better off just living with it.)

BTH

> will do once it looses up it is stuck at the other end of the rim,
> probably caught on a spoke, it rattles but isnt moving out. Will it
> be doing damage there?

I really dont think it will, it underneath the rim tape right? it cant even
stick into your tube and give you a puncture...

The worst thing is its going to make annoying noises!

Cheers Dre

On Mar 4, 8:08 am, "Dre" <[email protected]> wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > will do once it looses up it is stuck at the other end of the rim,
> > probably caught on a spoke, it rattles but isnt moving out.  Will it
> > be doing damage there?

> I really dont think it will, it underneath the rim tape right?  it cant even
> stick into your tube and give you a puncture...
>
> The worst thing is its going to make annoying noises!
>
> Cheers Dre

i dont have any rim tape, it doesnt make a noise once i am rolling
over 8k/h
it used to be all loose, but after a big ride like a said it is loged
at the oposite end to the valve hole. it can still rattle but it wont
roll around to the other end.

On Mar 4, 8:08 am, "Dre" <[email protected]> wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > will do once it looses up it is stuck at the other end of the rim,
> > probably caught on a spoke, it rattles but isnt moving out. Will it
> > be doing damage there?

> I really dont think it will, it underneath the rim tape right? it cant
> even
> stick into your tube and give you a puncture...
>
> The worst thing is its going to make annoying noises!
>
> Cheers Dre
>
> i dont have any rim tape, it doesnt make a noise once i am rolling
> over 8k/h
> it used to be all loose, but after a big ride like a said it is loged
> at the oposite end to the valve hole. it can still rattle but it wont
> roll around to the other end.

You dont use rim tape? do you have something to cover the holes for the
spokes to protect your tube?

hmmmm, re-reads op, whoops, I just realised your talking about a carbon rim
:)

You running a tubeless setup? if so I wouldn't worry about the bit stuck in
there...

Cheers Dre

> rim not needed,
> am running tubulars
> just woundering if the steel inside the carbon rim will damage it.

I dont think so, when the wheel is spinning I would think that piece would
just sit in the spot its in...

Cheers Dre

"Dre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> rim not needed,
>> am running tubulars
>> just woundering if the steel inside the carbon rim will damage it.

> I dont think so, when the wheel is spinning I would think that piece would
> just sit in the spot its in...

if it's steel, use a big magent to get it to where you want it!

Gemm