How do I harvest cilantro?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by [email protected]_is_not_a_real_address.com, Feb 25, 2006.

  1. My seeds really took off! My cilantro is about 5" tall, and getting
    bushy. It has full-sized leaves on it.

    Do I need to harvest the leaves to keep it growing? If I do want to
    take some to eat, do I just snip off individual leaves?

    Tags:

  2. Doug Kanter

    Doug Kanter Guest

    <[email protected]_is_not_a_real_address.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > My seeds really took off! My cilantro is about 5" tall, and getting
    > bushy. It has full-sized leaves on it.
    >
    > Do I need to harvest the leaves to keep it growing? If I do want to
    > take some to eat, do I just snip off individual leaves?

    Cilantro is one of those herbs that becomes useless when dried. You always
    want to have fresh cilantro growing. So, start a few new seeds every 6 weeks
    or so. Snip the leaves as you need them. In hot weather, it'll begin to make
    a flower head, at which point the taste changes - this is why you always
    want to have more growing.

  3. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 02:54:46 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Cilantro is one of those herbs that becomes useless when dried. You always
    >want to have fresh cilantro growing. So, start a few new seeds every 6 weeks
    >or so. Snip the leaves as you need them. In hot weather, it'll begin to make
    >a flower head, at which point the taste changes - this is why you always
    >want to have more growing.

    If they do flower and seed, the seeds are excellent when used
    fresh. I always let my coriander bolt just for the seeds, and buy
    the leaves in the stores.

    -sw

  4. On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 02:54:46 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Snip the leaves as you need them.

    If I snip leaves, will the plant regrow them? Or do I snip the whole
    thing off at the level of the soil?

  5. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    [email protected]_is_not_a_real_address.com wrote:
    >"Doug Kanter" wrote:
    >
    > >Snip the leaves as you need them.

    > If I snip leaves, will the plant regrow them? Or do I snip the whole
    > thing off at the level of the soil?

    Snip the more mature stems about an inch above the ground, new stems
    with leaves will keep emerging.

  6. Food Snob

    Food Snob Guest

    Doug Kanter wrote:
    > <[email protected]_is_not_a_real_address.com> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > My seeds really took off! My cilantro is about 5" tall, and getting
    > > bushy. It has full-sized leaves on it.
    > >
    > > Do I need to harvest the leaves to keep it growing? If I do want to
    > > take some to eat, do I just snip off individual leaves?

    > Cilantro is one of those herbs that becomes useless when dried. You always
    > want to have fresh cilantro growing. So, start a few new seeds every 6 weeks
    > or so. Snip the leaves as you need them. In hot weather, it'll begin to make
    > a flower head, at which point the taste changes - this is why you always
    > want to have more growing.

    All very true. Also, the leaves have a far more subtle taste than the
    stems, which I thing are downright nasty. My only complaint about
    peasant Mexican cooking is cilantro stems.

    --Bryan

  7. Doug Kanter

    Doug Kanter Guest

    <[email protected]_is_not_a_real_address.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 02:54:46 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>Snip the leaves as you need them.

    > If I snip leaves, will the plant regrow them? Or do I snip the whole
    > thing off at the level of the soil?

    As Sheldon said, snip whole stems. Or, if you don't need that much, snip
    stems about 1/4" above a place on the stem where leaves grow from. If the
    plant's healthy, you'll usually get more growth from the v-shaped spot left.

  8. >As Sheldon said, snip whole stems.

    Thanks. Sheldon's post doesn't show up in my newsreader for some
    reason. Had to Google the thread to see it.

  9. Doug Kanter

    Doug Kanter Guest

    <[email protected]_is_not_a_real_address.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    >>As Sheldon said, snip whole stems.

    > Thanks. Sheldon's post doesn't show up in my newsreader for some
    > reason. Had to Google the thread to see it.

    No loss. Sheldon only posts when the guards escort him to the prison
    library.