How do I install a new casette and new chain?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Steve B, Feb 25, 2003.

  1. Steve B

    Steve B Guest

    Hi,

    I am changing the casette on my '99 LeMond. I am switching from an 11-23 to a 12-27. The whole
    drivetrain is Ultegra.

    Can someone post detailed instructions for removing the chain, removing the casette, and installing
    a new one?

    And when I saw detailed, I mean detailed!

    Also, will I be able to use the old chain? It is fairly new, but will it be long enough to
    accomodate the new 27 spline? If not, what kind of chain should I get, and how do I size it
    properly? Also, how do I install it?

    THANKS!!!!

    Tags:

  2. You lazy b.....d,

    use Google and look up the web and you'll find all the instructions.

    p.s. What does the "99 Lemond" have to do with anything?

    It's like "I have a 412 bedroom mansion. How do I change a lightbulb?"

  3. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "Steve B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am changing the casette on my '99 LeMond. I am switching from an 11-23 to a 12-27. The whole
    > drivetrain is Ultegra.
    >
    > Can someone post detailed instructions for removing the chain, removing the casette, and
    > installing a new one?
    >
    > And when I saw detailed, I mean detailed!
    >
    > Also, will I be able to use the old chain? It is fairly new, but will it be long enough to
    > accomodate the new 27 spline? If not, what kind of chain should I get, and how do I size it
    > properly? Also, how do I install it?
    >
    > THANKS!!!!

    www.sheldonbrown.com

    www.parktool.com

    Enjoy.

    Mike

  4. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    Look here <http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQindex.shtml> and you should find all you are
    looking for.

    On 24 Feb 2003 22:42:53 -0800, [email protected] (Steve B) wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I am changing the casette on my '99 LeMond. I am switching from an 11-23 to a 12-27. The whole
    >drivetrain is Ultegra.
    >
    >Can someone post detailed instructions for removing the chain, removing the casette, and installing
    >a new one?
    >
    >And when I saw detailed, I mean detailed!
    >
    >Also, will I be able to use the old chain? It is fairly new, but will it be long enough to
    >accomodate the new 27 spline? If not, what kind of chain should I get, and how do I size it
    >properly? Also, how do I install it?
    >
    >THANKS!!!!

  5. "Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > You lazy b.....d,
    >
    > use Google and look up the web and you'll find all the instructions.
    >
    > p.s. What does the "99 Lemond" have to do with anything?
    >
    > It's like "I have a 412 bedroom mansion. How do I change a lightbulb?"

    I agree 100% with Mr. Lee, I just would have been slightly, but not much more polite. Also I'd
    suggest to go to your lbs. You will need tools as well as advice and parts and you might just find
    all you need there.

    Now, if you weren't so lazy, and got your own information and had a question about it, you would
    probably have received a warmer reception here. Or, perhaps you have that special abiltiy to
    alienate lots of people with a few words. Perhaps we'll see.

    Steve Shapiro

  6. Steve B

    Steve B Guest

    If I said "I have a '74 Schwinn" would the answer to this question be different? Thought so.

    I doubt someone with your mental alacrity could ever have a mansion.

    "Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > You lazy b.....d,
    >
    > use Google and look up the web and you'll find all the instructions.
    >
    > p.s. What does the "99 Lemond" have to do with anything?
    >
    > It's like "I have a 412 bedroom mansion. How do I change a lightbulb?"

  7. Steve B

    Steve B Guest

    [email protected] (Steve Shapiro) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > Now, if you weren't so lazy, and got your own information and had a question about it, you would
    > probably have received a warmer reception here. Or, perhaps you have that special abiltiy to
    > alienate lots of people with a few words. Perhaps we'll see.

    There, how's that? Only four words. Did I alienate you?

    Wait, my lazy, no-information gathering ass just had an even better idea...

    "Dick."

    There. One word. Did I alienate you even more? My special ability is strong.

    You quasi-intellectuals are so full of shit. What with your smooth, well though out put downs. Jesus
    H. Isn't there enough hate in the world?

    Can't resist the urge to throw in your two cents, can you? I'll bet you rule the water cooler at
    your job. I'll bet you once made a secretary cry. I'll bet you're a lot of fun to hang out with at a
    party. Although, I'll bet you don't get invited to too many parties.

    Lighten up. Share your knowledge. Help a brother out. Enjoy your first amendment rights. Be glad you
    don't live in Iraq.

  8. Steve, play nice and you will get the answers you need. There are some jerks on this board, don't be
    one of them. "Steve B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > [email protected] (Steve Shapiro) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > > Now, if you weren't so lazy, and got your own information and had a question about it, you would
    > > probably have received a warmer reception here. Or, perhaps you have that special abiltiy to
    > > alienate lots of people with a few words. Perhaps we'll see.
    > >

    > There, how's that? Only four words. Did I alienate you?
    >
    > Wait, my lazy, no-information gathering ass just had an even better idea...
    >
    > "Dick."
    >
    > There. One word. Did I alienate you even more? My special ability is strong.
    >
    > You quasi-intellectuals are so full of shit. What with your smooth, well though out put downs.
    > Jesus H. Isn't there enough hate in the world?
    >
    > Can't resist the urge to throw in your two cents, can you? I'll bet you rule the water cooler at
    > your job. I'll bet you once made a secretary cry. I'll bet you're a lot of fun to hang out with at
    > a party. Although, I'll bet you don't get invited to too many parties.
    >
    > Lighten up. Share your knowledge. Help a brother out. Enjoy your first amendment rights. Be glad
    > you don't live in Iraq.

  9. lisated

    lisated Guest

    [email protected] (Steve B) wrote:

    > There, how's that? Only four words. Did I alienate you?
    >
    > Wait, my lazy, no-information gathering ass just had an even better idea...
    >
    > "Dick."
    >
    > There. One word. Did I alienate you even more? My special ability is strong.
    >
    > You quasi-intellectuals are so full of shit. What with your smooth, well though out put downs.
    > Jesus H. Isn't there enough hate in the world?
    >
    > Can't resist the urge to throw in your two cents, can you? I'll bet you rule the water cooler at
    > your job. I'll bet you once made a secretary cry. I'll bet you're a lot of fun to hang out with at
    > a party. Although, I'll bet you don't get invited to too many parties.
    >
    > Lighten up. Share your knowledge. Help a brother out. Enjoy your first amendment rights. Be glad
    > you don't live in Iraq.

    Steve, I'll happily and politely share my knowledge.

    To find all the detailed instructions you need to change your chain and cassette, go to:

    www.sheldonbrown.com

    www.parktool.com

    --
    Ted Bennett Portland OR

  10. [email protected] (Steve B) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (Steve Shapiro) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >

    > > Now, if you weren't so lazy, and got your own information and had a question about it, you would
    > > probably have received a warmer reception here. Or, perhaps you have that special abiltiy to
    > > alienate lots of people with a few words. Perhaps we'll see.
    > >

    > There, how's that? Only four words. Did I alienate you?
    >
    > Wait, my lazy, no-information gathering ass just had an even better idea...
    >
    > "Dick."
    >
    > There. One word. Did I alienate you even more? My special ability is strong.
    >
    > You quasi-intellectuals are so full of shit. What with your smooth, well though out put downs.
    > Jesus H. Isn't there enough hate in the world?
    >
    > Can't resist the urge to throw in your two cents, can you? I'll bet you rule the water cooler at
    > your job. I'll bet you once made a secretary cry. I'll bet you're a lot of fun to hang out with at
    > a party. Although, I'll bet you don't get invited to too many parties.
    >
    > Lighten up. Share your knowledge. Help a brother out. Enjoy your first amendment rights. Be glad
    > you don't live in Iraq.

    qed

  11. My post was purely in fun, but expecting people to type out long instructions for you when you've
    obviously not tried to find it is a bit rich.

  12. Dave Thompson <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Steve, play nice and you will get the answers you need. There are some jerks on this board, don't
    >be one of them.

    It's not a board; and don't top-post, it gives you crabs.

  13. Kenny Lee

    Kenny Lee Guest

    Steve Shapiro wrote:
    > [email protected] (Steve B) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    >>[email protected] (Steve Shapiro) wrote in message
    >>news:<[email protected]>...
    >>

    >>>Now, if you weren't so lazy, and got your own information and had a question about it, you would
    >>>probably have received a warmer reception here. Or, perhaps you have that special abiltiy to
    >>>alienate lots of people with a few words. Perhaps we'll see.
    >>>

    >>There, how's that? Only four words. Did I alienate you?
    >>
    >>Wait, my lazy, no-information gathering ass just had an even better idea...
    >>
    >>"Dick."
    >>
    >>There. One word. Did I alienate you even more? My special ability is strong.
    >>
    >>You quasi-intellectuals are so full of shit. What with your smooth, well though out put downs.
    >>Jesus H. Isn't there enough hate in the world?
    >>
    >>Can't resist the urge to throw in your two cents, can you? I'll bet you rule the water cooler at
    >>your job. I'll bet you once made a secretary cry. I'll bet you're a lot of fun to hang out with at
    >>a party. Although, I'll bet you don't get invited to too many parties.
    >>
    >>Lighten up. Share your knowledge. Help a brother out. Enjoy your first amendment rights. Be glad
    >>you don't live in Iraq.
    >

    > qed
    You know I honestly believe that if this was a forum that met together physically say, every friday
    at the local boys gym, this Steve B person would feel so offended by even the slightest perceived
    slight as to go home and come back with a gun and try to kill some of us ala Columbine.

    Praying for Steve B, Kenny Lee

  14. Doug Huffman

    Doug Huffman Guest

    It appears that we need a corollary to Godwin's Law. I ride armed since 'Columbine'. The conspiracy
    of ignorance masquerades as common sense.

    "Kenny Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Steve Shapiro wrote:
    > > [email protected] (Steve B) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > >>[email protected] (Steve Shapiro) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > >>There, how's that? Only four words. Did I alienate you?
    > >>
    > >>Wait, my lazy, no-information gathering ass just had an even better idea...
    > >>
    > >>"Dick."
    > >>
    > >>There. One word. Did I alienate you even more? My special ability is strong.
    > >>
    > >>You quasi-intellectuals are so full of shit. What with your smooth, well though out put downs.
    > >>Jesus H. Isn't there enough hate in the world?
    > >>
    > >>Can't resist the urge to throw in your two cents, can you? I'll bet you rule the water cooler at
    > >>your job. I'll bet you once made a secretary cry. I'll bet you're a lot of fun to hang out with
    > >>at a party. Although, I'll bet you don't get invited to too many parties.
    > >>
    > >>Lighten up. Share your knowledge. Help a brother out. Enjoy your first amendment rights. Be glad
    > >>you don't live in Iraq.
    > >

    > > qed
    > You know I honestly believe that if this was a forum that met together physically say, every
    > friday at the local boys gym, this Steve B person would feel so offended by even the slightest
    > perceived slight as to go home and come back with a gun and try to kill some of us ala Columbine.
    >
    > Praying for Steve B, Kenny Lee

  15. [email protected] (Steve B) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > The irony is pretty thick here.
    > >
    > > Maybe when you can come down your self indignant rant high you can thank the people who referred
    > > you to the instructions on how to change your cassette and chain with the same fervor you
    > > exhibited in your reply to Steve Shapiro. This is one of the best newsgroups I've seen. Let's
    > > try to keep it that way.
    > >
    > > tim
    >
    > Tim,
    >
    > You are absolutely right. My bad, my apologies.
    >
    > More importantly, thanks to everyone who has answered my questions and helped me with biking
    > information. As a new road biker, every question I have asked in this group has been answered with
    > thought and consideration, and this has made my transition much smoother than it might have been.
    >
    > Thanks to all for your sharing of your knowledge and experiences. I appreciate it.
    >
    > Cheers!

    I'd like to apologize as well.

    Steve Shapiro