How do I install Aerobars on a tapered flat bar?

Eggyolkeo

Sep 17, 2007
I picked up some cheap Profile aero bars on Ebay and knew this dilemma would arise.

I have a flatbar bike that is 31mm. The width of the aerobars positions its mounting clamps right in the centre of the taper on the bars, meaning the clamp would not have much biting area at all.

Should I try to file/taper the clamp? Or jus apply some grip tape beforehand? Or something else?

Thanks in advance.

A friend has just suggested making a collet that is tapered. I wonder if there's a company that's already thought of this and done the hard work for me!!??

That realy wont work very good, the clamp will come loose very easly if sitting on a taper, fileing won't work because youll never get i precise enough. I would try to buy some different bars that have a wider large dia in the middle. considering you can get light weight alloy bars on ebay for around $20 it don't make sense to me to muck around.

Can you get your bars low enough and your seat forward enough to get much actual benefit from aerobars on a flat bar bike? I know I couldn't do it easily on my drop bar bike - I'd need a new seatpost at least.