How do I know if my bike is Legit

wavekrusha

Apr 14, 2010
So I have purchased my first road bike and I spent $300 dollars. Ive taken it in and had a initial work over done on it. At this point I am interested to know if the Motobecane lettering on its new paint job is legit. I have tried (unsuccessfully) looking up the serial number on the internet. There is no front plate on the bike but there are holes for one. Both rims are Weinmann's made in Belgium 27" x 1 1/4". The lugs on the front forks are decorative and seem to have a distinct resemblance to the letter "M". I would like to know a little bit more about what I am riding. Either way I think it was worth the money seeing how it seems to be a decent bike and I couldn't afford the $800 for an entry level newer model.

wavekrusha said:
So I have purchased my first road bike and I spent $300 dollars. Ive taken it in and had a initial work over done on it. At this point I am interested to know if the Motobecane lettering on its new paint job is legit. I have tried (unsuccessfully) looking up the serial number on the internet. There is no front plate on the bike but there are holes for one. Both rims are Weinmann's made in Belgium 27" x 1 1/4". The lugs on the front forks are decorative and seem to have a distinct resemblance to the letter "M". I would like to know a little bit more about what I am riding. Either way I think it was worth the money seeing how it seems to be a decent bike and I couldn't afford the $800 for an entry level newer model.

If you post some pics you may draw some comments on whether things look authentic.

I have a 1980 Motobecane at home (fairly low-to-mid-range model) - at that time the Motobecane name and model number were just done with plain block lettering.

Maybe it is uncool to mention another forum, but there is a "Classic and Vintage" sub-forum over at Bike Forums - some pictures posted over there will elicit a fair number of comments, I'm sure. (I only mention this because there is no directly-comparable "classic and vintage" sub-forum here.)