How do I know if my body is trying to overcompensate???

BlueJersey

Jan 5, 2005
Hope it is not a silly question. I am just starting my 4th 6 weeks cycle. Half of the 3rd 6 weeks cycle I was working on 3 day block training because of the weather and forced to train on the trainer. I got some really good high intensity workout. I am planning to continue the block training on my 4th 6 weeks cycle. Weather isn't improving and is cold. After a full week of rest, I didn't feel fresh. Legs are fine but I just didn't feel fresh even when my TSB is in the positive 20. Couple of days ago I went to sleep feeling hungry despite I had my dinner and protein drink already. I have the tendency to go to sleep at 12am. Overall I do get enough sleep.

Some background history concerning about PMC. I loaded up my last season and just before I lost my form (pull out of the Union Vale race on the first couple of miles because my legs didn't have it anymore--didn't feel like racing), my CTL was 65. That was right after the Housatonic race. At the end of my 3rd 6 weeks cycle, my CTL was 63. I couldn't but to speculate that my body is in fact actually training in a new terrority right now??? All I do right now is just doing 3 day block training at 90% to 95% FT for 1 hour and 30 minutes the most (Friday to Sunday). Double session on Sunday. Throw in a tempo ride on Wednesday. Repeat the block on the coming Friday again.

BlueJersey said:
Hope it is not a silly question. I am just starting my 4th 6 weeks cycle. Half of the 3rd 6 weeks cycle I was working on 3 day block training because of the weather and forced to train on the trainer. I got some really good high intensity workout. I am planning to continue the block training on my 4th 6 weeks cycle. Weather isn't improving and is cold. After a full week of rest, I didn't feel fresh. Legs are fine but I just didn't feel fresh even when my TSB is in the positive 20. Couple of days ago I went to sleep feeling hungry despite I had my dinner and protein drink already. I have the tendency to go to sleep at 12am. Overall I do get enough sleep.

Some background history concerning about PMC. I loaded up my last season and just before I lost my form (pull out of the Union Vale race on the first couple of miles because my legs didn't have it anymore--didn't feel like racing), my CTL was 65. That was right after the Housatonic race. At the end of my 3rd 6 weeks cycle, my CTL was 63. I couldn't but to speculate that my body is in fact actually training in a new terrority right now??? All I do right now is just doing 3 day block training at 90% to 95% FT for 1 hour and 30 minutes the most (Friday to Sunday). Double session on Sunday. Throw in a tempo ride on Wednesday. Repeat the block on the coming Friday again.

A CTL of ~65 TSS/d is lower than most people can tolerate, but everyone is a bit different, so it is quite possible that you've hit upon your personal upper limit, at least given your current lifestyle (e.g., sleep, nutrition, other stressors). I've personally noted somewhat the same thing, but at the other end of the spectrum: when my CTL declines to ~50 TSS/d, that's when I start feeling a bit too "fat and sassy" and get the urge to train hard and compete again.

BlueJersey said:

Let me see if I have this right:

Mon: Off
Tue: Off
Wed: Tempo
Thu: Off
Fri: Threshold
Sat: Threshold
Sun: Threshold (double workout)

Is this correct?

Jim

BlueJersey said:
All I do right now is just doing 3 day block training at 90% to 95% FT for 1 hour and 30 minutes the most (Friday to Sunday). Double session on Sunday. Throw in a tempo ride on Wednesday. Repeat the block on the coming Friday again.

Just 1.5 hrs at 90-95% FT..3 days in a row, well no wonder you're feeling a bit drained. Never go to bed hungry, if you have food available, eat it. Training at near FT for 1-1.5 hrs is about as strenuous as it gets. I have never trained 1+ hr sessions hard consecutively. Maybe you can handle it better.. but then again, maybe not.

-bikeguy

if it goes out and buys a sports car and get a younger, better-looking GF...then it's overcompensating. :p

Yes, since middle of Jan, I have been on the trainer and trained about 4 days per week.

Fri=threshold work
Sat= "
Sun= "
All threshold work around 90% FT most of the time.

Off on Mon and Tue and Thursday.

Tempo ride on Wed. No more than 7 hours per week right now.

I am hoping I can train it through this "bug" of mine. I always feel sluggish at the beginning of a training cycle. I see how things go and I seriously doubt that I am burning out or even feeling remotely overtrained. I just don't have any of those symptoms. BTW, when I started my 4th 6 week cycle, my ramp rate was 4tss/week (52tss/day to 56tss/day) after 3 days of training.

BlueJersey said:
Yes, since middle of Jan, I have been on the trainer and trained about 4 days per week.

Fri=threshold work
Sat= "
Sun= "
All threshold work around 90% FT most of the time.

Off on Mon and Tue and Thursday.

Tempo ride on Wed. No more than 7 hours per week right now.

I am hoping I can train it through this "bug" of mine. I always feel sluggish at the beginning of a training cycle. I see how things go and I seriously doubt that I am burning out or even feeling remotely overtrained. I just don't have any of those symptoms. BTW, when I started my 4th 6 week cycle, my ramp rate was 4tss/week (52tss/day to 56tss/day) after 3 days of training.
I am wondering if the 2 days off in a row is hurting you.

Have you experimented with taking Monday off and an endurance paced ride on Tuesday, instead of a Tempo workout? Wednesday off and then a pre-race workout on Thursday...

Keep the extra workouts around 60 - 90 minutes and you wouldn't increase your time per week much...

Jim

I think TiMan is right that after a block training I should be taking at least 2 days off the bike. This morning I just knocked off another 90% FT workout for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Feel like I can do another 20 minutes but I have to go to work. Guess I save my energy for tomorrow. :D

otb4evr said:

Have you experimented with taking Monday off and an endurance paced ride on Tuesday, instead of a Tempo workout? Wednesday off and then a pre-race workout on Thursday...

Keep the extra workouts around 60 - 90 minutes and you wouldn't increase your time per week much...

Jim

BlueJersey said:
I think TiMan is right that after a block training I should be taking at least 2 days off the bike. This morning I just knocked off another 90% FT workout for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Feel like I can do another 20 minutes but I have to go to work. Guess I save my energy for tomorrow. :D
I apologize.

I didn't mean to give coaching advice when you are already being coached.

You should probably consult with your coach on why you are dragging...

Jim

No need. :D I am self coach, like many of us here. TiMan just speaks to many of us here. If I can afford to hire him I am sure he is an excellent coach. :)

otb4evr said:
I apologize.

I didn't mean to give coaching advice when you are already being coached.

You should probably consult with your coach on why you are dragging...

Jim

otb4evr said:

Jim
I was thinking along the same lines.

Can you at least ride easy (L2) for 30-60 minutes on Monday or Tuesday? I'm just wondering if your body is shutting down rapidly and this has something to do with the sluggishness.

I've found that just being on a bike 5-7 days/week is very helpful for keeping my motabolism running at speed, my legs feel well, other good stuff like that. Consistency is key, within reason.

I see if my body feels like doing that later on. On that same week, on Sunday, I did a double session. 2 hours in the morning (first hour at 90% and 88% on the second hour). I did it outside since the weather turned out to be somewhat warmer. 6 hours later, I hit another indoor session. 1 hour at 84% of FT. That night I was having problem sleeping. :D It was a hard block. I was very glad I didn't have to ride the next 2 days. I slept well last night. Total CTL gain in the 3 days block was 54 tss/day to 58.5 tss/day.

Steve_B said:
I was thinking along the same lines.

Can you at least ride easy (L2) for 30-60 minutes on Monday or Tuesday? I'm just wondering if your body is shutting down rapidly and this has something to do with the sluggishness.

I've found that just being on a bike 5-7 days/week is very helpful for keeping my motabolism running at speed, my legs feel well, other good stuff like that. Consistency is key, within reason.