How do I know if my saddle setback is too far back???

BlueJersey

Jan 5, 2005
I did the KOPS measurement with my current setup. My knees are a bit 1cm behind the pedal spindels. I ride a 54cm frame with 54cm top tube lenght. 120mm stem. I am 5`9". I think I have an unsual longer thigh lenght. I am on a Fzik Aeron saddle and Ritchey WSC seatpost. The seatpost clamp isn't at the center of the saddle. A bit forward. I am comfortable with the setup. I can sustain high tempo effort for 2 hours and 30 minutes on the bike. I can spend 85% of the time racing in the drops. When I pedal I felt that I am pushing the crank foward more than down.

You may go better on a (54cm) frame with a steeper seat tube, 74-75 degree, or a frame with a slightly longer top tube.

The pushing forward sensation that I get was from spending some significant time on my TT bike setup. I did the NJ Sandy Hook TT yesterday. When I was on my road bike today, the first thing I noticed was the pushing forward sensation and the lower seat post height. I did couples of mesurements and fit calcuations. My thight lenght is 17.5 inches. I should be on a 175mm crank lenght, which I am currently using. Now, my inseam is 78.5 cm. According to Zinn's fit system, I should be on a 170mm crank. To complicate things a bit further, the bone or the ball of my foot is 1 cm in front of the pedal spindle (this suppose to eliminate hot foot sensation). I just moves my saddle 3mm forward to achieve the KOPS. Are my knees actually at KOPS when the bone or the ball of my foot is already 1cm in front of the pedal spindle??

gclark8 said:
You may go better on a (54cm) frame with a steeper seat tube, 74-75 degree, or a frame with a slightly longer top tube.