How Do I Know What Frame Size To Buy?

Dahlia

Sep 29, 2015
Canada
Hi, I have found that bikes these days are getting more and more scrunched together feeling. It seems to me that the bikes of my youth (some 35 years ago) were larger, or at least the space between the tires was more. Now when I go to look at bikes in the store (or look for used ones online) they are all different frame sizes. I am a fairly tall female and I prefer a larger bike because I like to stretch my legs, so what frame size would you recommend? I'm wanting a women's bike over a men's because it isn't as easy for me to swing my leg over anymore, but it seems to me there are some out there that are more or less unisex. Is this true? And wheel size. There seems to be different wheel sizes too. Is a larger wheel easier to pedal? Suggestions?

Back in the day, the salesman would put you on the largest frame you could straddle, adjust the saddle height, and send you out the door. That worked fairly well because nearly all moderately priced bikes simply got taller. These days, we have proportional top tube sizing, which means bikes get longer as they get taller. That means, the salesman looks at your overall height and body proportions, makes some suggestions, observes how you sit on a couple bikes, asks you how you feel on them, and recommends a model and size.

You didn't mention your height, so I'm not going to suggest a frame size. Wheel size relates to purpose more than rider size, unless you're really small. Since I don't know what kind of riding you intend to use the bike for, I'm making no suggestions there, either. I do suggest you go to a bike shop or several, talk to a salesman about bikes and the riding you intend to do, and take a couple out for a test ride.

Depends on what you mean by a woman's bike? As far as road bikes you will have to swing your leg over whether it's a men's or women's bike because of where the saddle is set.

If you are talking about a cruiser bike then you can get a step through frame.

Hard for anyone to help you unless you give more detail about yourself and what kind of bike you are looking for, road bike, cruiser, commuter, mountain bike?

Women's road bike.

0pinkwsd_zpsa9lkkikp.jpg

Women's step through frame.

0stepthru_zpslwidmrpk.jpg

As far as I see it, nothing like trying it and seeing how comfortable do we feel.