How do I mount handlebar bag on seat post?

Fred

Guest
A while back I saw a posting in this group, with a link to a photo of a
handlebar bag mounted on a seatpost using a stem and a sawn off piece of an
old handlebar from memory. Would be grateful if the original poster, or
anyone else who can recall would repost this info and link to the photo. I
have a bike with moustache handlebars and it doesn't seem possible to mount
bag on handlebars.

On Mar 31, 11:41 pm, "Fred" <[email protected]> wrote:
> A while back I saw a posting in this group, with a link to a photo of a
> handlebar bag mounted on a seatpost using a stem and a sawn off piece of an
> old handlebar from memory. Would be grateful if the original poster, or
> anyone else who can recall would repost this info and link to the photo. I
> have a bike with moustache handlebars and it doesn't seem possible to mount
> bag on handlebars.

Hi there.

Glad to help.

The link to a photo is:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/73832500@N00/211357083/

I used a threadless stem and a shim on my 27.2 mm seatpost. I cut down
a scrap mtb bar so that it was only slightly longer than the width of
the mount for the bag. I capped the bar with bar end plugs later
(after the picture was taken.) You can use a scrap drop bar if one is
available or even a piece of suitable size abs pipe. This has been a
very stable setup and holds all I need even for a long ride including
lightly lined wind pants and jacket for those long days when it is
cool when I start or finish.

Cheers from Peter

"Sir Ridesalot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mar 31, 11:41 pm, "Fred" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> A while back I saw a posting in this group, with a link to a photo of a
>> handlebar bag mounted on a seatpost using a stem and a sawn off piece of
>> an
>> old handlebar from memory. Would be grateful if the original poster, or
>> anyone else who can recall would repost this info and link to the photo.
>> have a bike with moustache handlebars and it doesn't seem possible to
>> mount
>> bag on handlebars.

> Hi there.
>
> Glad to help.
>
> The link to a photo is:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/73832500@N00/211357083/
>
> I used a threadless stem and a shim on my 27.2 mm seatpost. I cut down
> a scrap mtb bar so that it was only slightly longer than the width of
> the mount for the bag. I capped the bar with bar end plugs later
> (after the picture was taken.) You can use a scrap drop bar if one is
> available or even a piece of suitable size abs pipe. This has been a
> very stable setup and holds all I need even for a long ride including
> lightly lined wind pants and jacket for those long days when it is
> cool when I start or finish.
>
> Cheers from Peter

Yep - that's as I recall. Looks like an ideal solution. Also available is
this extender http://www.wallbike.com/klickfix/hbadapter.html
but when I enquired at LBS I was nearly sent away for psychiatric
assessment.
Your idea looks more secure anyway. Many thanks indeed.

Fred

Sir Ridesalot wrote:
> On Mar 31, 11:41 pm, "Fred" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> A while back I saw a posting in this group, with a link to a photo of a
>> handlebar bag mounted on a seatpost using a stem and a sawn off piece of an
>> old handlebar from memory. Would be grateful if the original poster, or
>> anyone else who can recall would repost this info and link to the photo. I
>> have a bike with moustache handlebars and it doesn't seem possible to mount
>> bag on handlebars.

> Hi there.
>
> Glad to help.
>
> The link to a photo is:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/73832500@N00/211357083/
>
> I used a threadless stem and a shim on my 27.2 mm seatpost. I cut down
> a scrap mtb bar so that it was only slightly longer than the width of
> the mount for the bag. I capped the bar with bar end plugs later
> (after the picture was taken.) You can use a scrap drop bar if one is
> available or even a piece of suitable size abs pipe. This has been a
> very stable setup and holds all I need even for a long ride including
> lightly lined wind pants and jacket for those long days when it is
> cool when I start or finish.
>
> Cheers from Peter

Cool.
I'll give you a Rube Goldberg award on that. It does look better than a
handlebar bag though.
Bill Baka

On Apr 1, 4:40 pm, Bill <[email protected]> wrote:
> Sir Ridesalot wrote:
> > On Mar 31, 11:41 pm, "Fred" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> A while back I saw a posting in this group, with a link to a photo of a
> >> handlebar bag mounted on a seatpost using a stem and a sawn off piece of an
> >> old handlebar from memory. Would be grateful if the original poster, or
> >> anyone else who can recall would repost this info and link to the photo. I
> >> have a bike with moustache handlebars and it doesn't seem possible to mount
> >> bag on handlebars.

> > Hi there.

> > Glad to help.

> > The link to a photo is:

> >http://www.flickr.com/photos/73832500@N00/211357083/

> > I used a threadless stem and a shim on my 27.2 mm seatpost. I cut down
> > a scrap mtb bar so that it was only slightly longer than the width of
> > the mount for the bag. I capped the bar with bar end plugs later
> > (after the picture was taken.) You can use a scrap drop bar if one is
> > available or even a piece of suitable size abs pipe. This has been a
> > very stable setup and holds all I need even for a long ride including
> > lightly lined wind pants and jacket for those long days when it is
> > cool when I start or finish.

> > Cheers from Peter

> Cool.
> I'll give you a Rube Goldberg award on that. It does look better than a
> handlebar bag though.
> Bill Baka- Hide quoted text -

Hi there all. Thanks for the praise.

The only drawback to having the handlebar bag mounted that way is you
cant see the map whilst riding along. ;<) I now have Campy Ergos on
that bike and there is no exposed shifter cable in front of the
handlebars like there is with Shimano to clip my map to. I have a
piece of round black elastic (the diameter of a shoelace) with a loop
in each end that I can slip over each of the Ergos and clip the map
pocket to it when I need it. That saves me having to stop to consult
the map or fidle with it whilst riding one-handed.

Cheers from Peter

How about a good source for a large saddlebag like so many Europeans
use? They are a much more efficient way to carry tools, jacket, etc
than a handlebar bag, though I do love my Cannondale HB bag.

cmcanulty wrote:
> How about a good source for a large saddlebag like so many Europeans
> use? They are a much more efficient way to carry tools, jacket, etc
> than a handlebar bag, though I do love my Cannondale HB bag.

Rivendell used to carry them, but has dropped the large sizes.

"http://www.wallbike.com/carradice/carradicesaddlebags.html" has them on
their web site but everything is out of stock, which was often the case
when Rivendell carrierd them.

You can always order from the UK.

cmcanulty wrote:
> How about a good source for a large saddlebag like so many Europeans
> use? They are a much more efficient way to carry tools, jacket, etc
> than a handlebar bag, though I do love my Cannondale HB bag.

Also see "http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/bags/originals.htm"

but I wonder if these are actually available.

"Sir Ridesalot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Apr 1, 4:40 pm, Bill <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Sir Ridesalot wrote:

>> > Hi there.

>> > Glad to help.

>> > The link to a photo is:

>> >http://www.flickr.com/photos/73832500@N00/211357083/

>> > I used a threadless stem and a shim on my 27.2 mm seatpost. I cut down
>> > a scrap mtb bar so that it was only slightly longer than the width of
>> > the mount for the bag. I capped the bar with bar end plugs later
>> > (after the picture was taken.) You can use a scrap drop bar if one is
>> > available or even a piece of suitable size abs pipe. This has been a
>> > very stable setup and holds all I need even for a long ride including
>> > lightly lined wind pants and jacket for those long days when it is
>> > cool when I start or finish.

>> > Cheers from Peter

>> Cool.
>> I'll give you a Rube Goldberg award on that. It does look better than a
>> handlebar bag though.
>> Bill Baka- Hide quoted text -

> Hi there all. Thanks for the praise.
>
> The only drawback to having the handlebar bag mounted that way is you
> cant see the map whilst riding along. ;<) I now have Campy Ergos on
> that bike and there is no exposed shifter cable in front of the
> handlebars like there is with Shimano to clip my map to. I have a
> piece of round black elastic (the diameter of a shoelace) with a loop
> in each end that I can slip over each of the Ergos and clip the map
> pocket to it when I need it. That saves me having to stop to consult
> the map or fidle with it whilst riding one-handed.
>
> Cheers from Peter

Which manufacturer makes the handlebar bag pictured?

cmcanulty <[email protected]> wrote:
> How about a good source for a large saddlebag like so many Europeans
> use? They are a much more efficient way to carry tools, jacket, etc
> than a handlebar bag, though I do love my Cannondale HB bag.

Are you talking about the Carradice bags and similar ilk?

If so, Harris cyclery and Peter White cycles both carry them:

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/bags/carradice.html
http://peterwhitecycles.com/carradice.asp

I've been using a Carradice SQR touring bag for a couple years now and
am very enamoured with it. It gets used just about everyday in all
sorts of weather, and none of my things has gotten wet or damaged. The
Slim SQR model is a little better for laptops.

--
Dane Buson - [email protected]
Time Lords rule! Everything. Forever.

On Apr 2, 12:17 pm, "nash" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Sir Ridesalot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...

> >> Cool.
> >> I'll give you a Rube Goldberg award on that. It does look better than a
> >> handlebar bag though.
> >> Bill Baka- Hide quoted text -

> > Hi there all. Thanks for the praise.

> > The only drawback to having the handlebar bag mounted that way is you
> > cant see the map whilst riding along. ;<) I now have Campy Ergos on
> > that bike and there is no exposed shifter cable in front of the
> > handlebars like there is with Shimano to clip my map to. I have a
> > piece of round black elastic (the diameter of a shoelace) with a loop
> > in each end that I can slip over each of the Ergos and clip the map
> > pocket to it when I need it. That saves me having to stop to consult
> > the map or fidle with it whilst riding one-handed.

> > Cheers from Peter

> Which manufacturer makes the handlebar bag pictured?- Hide quoted text -

I replied to this earlier tonight but it seems it got lost.

The bag is made by DAMCO but I have seen the exact same mount on an
AXION bag.

Cheers from Peter

SMS wrote:
> cmcanulty wrote:
>> How about a good source for a large saddlebag like so many Europeans
>> use? They are a much more efficient way to carry tools, jacket, etc
>> than a handlebar bag, though I do love my Cannondale HB bag.

> Rivendell used to carry them, but has dropped the large sizes.
>
> "http://www.wallbike.com/carradice/carradicesaddlebags.html" has them on
> their web site but everything is out of stock, which was often the case
> when Rivendell carrierd them.
>
> You can always order from the UK.

Their list of saddle bags looks like a great idea, but will probably
incur the cost of a new saddle. A quick inventory of my stuff shows 1 in
7 with the mounting nubs on the back. There is also the issue of having
to do a pretty big leg over when getting on the bike. With one of those,
two saddle bag racks in the back and maybe a backpack and you or I could
go on about a week long camping and riding trip.
Here goes some more $$$$.
Bill Baka

Bill wrote:

> Their list of saddle bags looks like a great idea, but will probably
> incur the cost of a new saddle. A quick inventory of my stuff shows 1 in
> 7 with the mounting nubs on the back. There is also the issue of having
> to do a pretty big leg over when getting on the bike. With one of those,
> two saddle bag racks in the back and maybe a backpack and you or I could
> go on about a week long camping and riding trip.
> Here goes some more $$$$.
> Bill Baka

With the big saddlebags you need some sort of a support for them
underneath anyway, so I don't really see the advantage of them over a
standard set of panniers and a rear rack. I prefer the traditional
system of front and rear panniers.

"Sir Ridesalot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Apr 2, 12:17 pm, "nash" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> "Sir Ridesalot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>> news:[email protected]...

>> > Hi there all. Thanks for the praise.

>> > The only drawback to having the handlebar bag mounted that way is you
>> > cant see the map whilst riding along. ;<) I now have Campy Ergos on
>> > that bike and there is no exposed shifter cable in front of the
>> > handlebars like there is with Shimano to clip my map to. I have a
>> > piece of round black elastic (the diameter of a shoelace) with a loop
>> > in each end that I can slip over each of the Ergos and clip the map
>> > pocket to it when I need it. That saves me having to stop to consult
>> > the map or fidle with it whilst riding one-handed.

>> > Cheers from Peter

>> Which manufacturer makes the handlebar bag pictured?- Hide quoted text -

> I replied to this earlier tonight but it seems it got lost.
>
> The bag is made by DAMCO but I have seen the exact same mount on an
> AXION bag.
>
> Cheers from Peter

Good, this is my new project thanks.

Sir Ridesalot wrote:
> The link to a photo is:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/73832500@N00/211357083/
>
> I used a threadless stem and a shim on my 27.2 mm seatpost. I cut down
> a scrap mtb bar so that it was only slightly longer than the width of
> the mount for the bag. I capped the bar with bar end plugs later
> (after the picture was taken.) You can use a scrap drop bar if one is
> available or even a piece of suitable size abs pipe. ...

Must....remember...

wasn't there an early 70's item called "seat post thing"? Made by
Eclipse, I think. Or am I dreaming??

--Karen D.

On Apr 3, 8:23 pm, "Veloise" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Sir Ridesalot wrote:

> > The link to a photo is:

> >http://www.flickr.com/photos/73832500@N00/211357083/

> > I used a threadless stem and a shim on my 27.2 mm seatpost. I cut down
> > a scrap mtb bar so that it was only slightly longer than the width of
> > the mount for the bag. I capped the bar with bar end plugs later
> > (after the picture was taken.) You can use a scrap drop bar if one is
> > available or even a piece of suitable size abs pipe. ...

> Must....remember...
>
> wasn't there an early 70's item called "seat post thing"? Made by
> Eclipse, I think. Or am I dreaming??

You are not dreaming. The Eclipse "Seatpost Thing" was a device to
mount a handlebar bag to a seatpost. Esssentially, a nicely designed,
nicely finished version of what folks come up with when they clamp a
modern threadless stem and a piece of handlebar to a seatpost.

SMS wrote:
> Bill wrote:
>
>> I didn't see an advantage but they do look a little less "Fred" than a
>> full set of panniers and a front bag. For an overnighter this summer
>> it might be worth all of the options. I'm lucky in that there are
>> overnight camp sites within riding distance. In the city, probably not
>> much use.
>> Bill Baka

> The largest bag is 25 liters, and it would end up costing over $200 once
> you buy the SQR mounting system. I'd rather buy an Arkel Bug
> "http://www.arkel-od.com/panniers/backpack/overview.asp?fl=1&site=#"
> than a Carradice Camper Longflap, even though the Carradice bag is
> cooler. I remember using saddlebags, and they were often a pain in the
> butt, though with the SQR system, slightly less so. All my bikes have
> racks on them, so a single pannier is better for me than a saddlebag.
> For the Bromptons, the front mount bag might be better, but it's very
> expensive too, almost as much as I paid for the Bromptons in Taiwan.

25 liters is about 28 quarts or about 7 gallons by my in-head calculator
and that is a lot of stuff. Some of the prices I saw were a bit scary,
kind of like yuppie bags, like "My bag costs more than yours." stuff.
At any rate a 25 liter bag and two panniers would hold a lot, and if a
backpack is added to the lot, you might not be racing, but you would be
set for the week of riding.
Now to ride to my LBS's.
Bill Baka

Bill wrote:

> 25 liters is about 28 quarts or about 7 gallons by my in-head calculator
> and that is a lot of stuff. Some of the prices I saw were a bit scary,
> kind of like yuppie bags, like "My bag costs more than yours." stuff.
> At any rate a 25 liter bag and two panniers would hold a lot, and if a
> backpack is added to the lot, you might not be racing, but you would be
> set for the week of riding.
> Now to ride to my LBS's.
> Bill Baka

Why would you ever wear a backpack while bicycle touring? It's very
uncomfortable, it adds weight in the wrong place, and you end up with a
wet shirt.

Yeah I ahve one, A fantastic touring devise for a trip that you could take a
road bike and not have the handle bar anouance that a good size bag will
cause. I just have not seen them recentley. Am selling the bike that it
was on and I made sure and took it off. Bill Marsh
news:[email protected]...