how do I repair a shifter?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by manjii, Jun 5, 2003.

  1. manjii

    manjii New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2003
    hi,

    my old (92') trusty Shimano STI 200GS 7 spd shifter has just sorta broken. the salesman told me that the spring inside was probably busted and recommended I buy a new shifter as he can't repair mine. I'm not so sure about that and as this specific model has been discontinued I'd really like to try and repair it myself. I tried to open it but I can't seem to be able to unscrew anything!! could someone give me some indication on how to do this repair?
    thanks.
    manjii

    Tags:

  2. manjii <[email protected]> wrote:
    : hi,

    : my old (92') trusty Shimano STI 200GS 7 spd shifter has just sorta broken. the salesman told me
    : that the spring inside was probably busted and recommended I buy a new shifter as he can't repair
    : mine. I'm not so sure about that and as this specific model has been discontinued I'd really like
    : to try and repair it myself. I tried to open it but I can't seem to be able to unscrew anything!!
    : could someone give me some indication on how to do this repair? thanks. manjii

    After I tore down, re-engineered a few pieces and reconstructed my STIs a friend described them as
    cycling's rubic's cube. I agree!

    Unless you are very patient, methodical and dedicated it would be easy to end up with a nice box of
    shiny parts only. If at this stage you don't have a clue about how to get inside them, consider that
    you may not have sufficient background to take on the task. Only you cqn assess that.

    On the other hand, many people have had great success flushing STIs with WD40. It may or may not
    work for you.

    If anything is broken in the lever you would have to modify or make your own part since Shimano
    don't sell them.

    Anyway, best of luck with what you decide to do.

    Cheerz, Lynzz

  3. manjii-<< could someone give me some indication on how to do this repair?

    you can cobble it sometimes but these, like shimano other STI units, are not designed to
    be repaired.

  4. On 5 Jun 2003, Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
    > manjii-<< could someone give me some indication on how to do this repair?

    > you can cobble it sometimes but these, like shimano other STI units, are not designed to be
    > repaired.

    Better said, they are designed not to be repaired .

    Sergio Pisa

  5. You may be out of luck. Unlke Campagnolo, Shimano tends towards a "throwaway philosophy". ie. they
    don't stock used parts for their components.

    I'm not even sure if Campy does anymore

  6. Chris-<< Unlke Campagnolo, Shimano tends towards a "throwaway philosophy". ie. they don't stock used
    parts for their components.

    I'm not even sure if Campy does anymore

    You can be sure Campagnolo does. Easy to have all the ERGO shifter small parts in a drawer,
    like we do.

  7. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    > Chris-<< Unlke Campagnolo, Shimano tends towards a "throwaway philosophy". ie. they don't stock
    > used parts
    for their
    > components.
    >
    > I'm not even sure if Campy does anymore
    >

    > You can be sure Campagnolo does. Easy to have all the ERGO
    shifter small parts
    > in a drawer, like we do.

    BTW, about how much do Ergo guts cost? Are they all interchangeable, between 7, 8, 9, and 10 speed?

    Compatibility and upgradeability is a nice thing about Campy. It's a shame all those old Dura-Ace
    bikes are quickly becoming white elephants. Sure there's still plenty of NOS or used stuff around,
    but you're on your own with that, and it won't be plentiful forever.

    Matt O.

  8. "You can be sure Campagnolo does. Easy to have all the ERGO shifter small parts in a drawer,
    like we do.

    Peter Chisholm

    Thanks, I haven't ridden Campy since the seventy's. Nor do I own a retail outlet, so I lack
    this insight.

    It's nice to know someone hasn't given into the throwaway philosiphy.

  9. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    > BTW, about how much do Ergo guts cost? Are they all interchangeable, between 7, 8, 9, and
    > 10 speed?

    Spring set $10, shift ring $30~$35. Shift rings can be swapped (but no sevens) in new or old levers
    theoretically but I do not have nor have I seen 8 speed new style levers.

  10. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...

    > > BTW, about how much do Ergo guts cost? Are they all interchangeable, between 7, 8, 9, and 10
    > > speed?
    >

    > Spring set $10, shift ring $30~$35. Shift rings can be swapped (but no sevens) in new or old
    > levers theoretically but I do not have nor have I seen 8 speed new style levers.

    Well, don't 7 and 8 speed Campy have the same (5.0mm) cog spacing anyway? So shouldn't an 8 speed
    unit work perfectly with a 7 speed setup?

    Matt O.

  11. rlight7

    rlight7 New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2003
    You are venturing into the world of Watch repair. These things have more moving parts and springs than a Rolex. If you can find another broken shifter in a bike shop junk bin you can possible find the part you broke. Keep your parts in order and make notes on how you took it apart.