How do I start a cycling club?

lisan

Apr 19, 2004
Any suggestions?

The goal would be to have an organization which offers regular rides for people training for distance rides or triathlons. I would also like to have regular informational seminars (bike maintenance, riding tips, nutrition, etc.).

Currently, there are about 20 or so of us that ride regularly; but sometimes people are left behind because of miscommunications, etc. We've also had people stuck that didn't know how to change their own tire (myself included!) and others that get left back and then upset because they break away from the group.

In any case, I would like to set up something a little more formal so that (a) we can address all of these issues and still keep a friendly and informal atmosphere and (b) encourage more people to join us on our rides - and increase the frequency of the rides.

So...any thoughts?

Is there a national organization that we can try and attach ourselves to; or is it better (given the informal atmosphere I would like to maintain) to just do our own thing?

Anyone here ever start there own cycling club? Thoughts?

Lisa

P.S. I'm going to cross-post this on a few other boards...

get a bunch of friends together and then start advertising and people in your area will respond, but it also depends on how serious you are because many are just looking for a casual ride, others want a challenge, you need to know how to cater for each.

for example, if you have a friend who wants to do a short casual ride (no hills)
then you ride that route on saturday, if you strong person wants to have a lekker hard work out, then u cycle on sunday.

thats how a cycle club is formed (or how mine is "forming")

only 3 of us in my club but remember, dont consider a club a club, consider it a group of friends.

just my FYI :) i'm sure others can add something.

Look up www.mborobike.com. Contact the officers of this club. They have it down to a science and you could easily copy this club's policies. They have different groups riding at different times. There's an Easy Rider's club for those who are on hybrids and like slower rides. They have intermediate rides for stronger, faster riders. There is a ride leader for each ride. Their responsibility is to keep the riders together, if it's a "no drop" ride. They also carry items for changing tires or cell phones to call someone. They're responsible for mapping out the ride and organizing it on the website. It only costs $15 for individuals to join the group per year. I would've paid more, though. It's been far worth the price to have some people to help me learn to ride better and stronger. And, these people become your best friends in life!

Kim in TN