How do I start building a bike from just a frame?

etbroughton

Sep 9, 2003
I've been shopping used bikes on e-bay and am gettin frusterated with the quality of bikes I'm seeing for what we can afford. So I'm going to try building from frame up. Any suggestions where to start, what measurements I need to know, ect.

ETB
Longmont, CO

Originally posted by etbroughton
I've been shopping used bikes on e-bay and am gettin frusterated with the quality of bikes I'm seeing for what we can afford. So I'm going to try building from frame up. Any suggestions where to start, what measurements I need to know, ect.

ETB
Longmont, CO

I'm doing one now.... best bet is to go to the mfgr's website and take down all the measurements they give - you'll need:

1. seatpost size
2. seat collar/front derailleur size (and style, like top swing)
3. bottom bracket size
4. headtube length

I think that's it for measurements. Everything else is preference.

Along with the sizes you will need some tools:
A bike Stand - holds the bike while you fiddle with stuff)
Cable cutters - You must get ones that cut circular cables (park or shimano or pedros)
A bearing Cup press - I recommend shelling out the 100+ bux for the park one, but some people use a hammer, or a long bolt with a couple of washers.
A hacksaw. To cut the steerer tube.
A Hacksaw guide. To cut the steerer tube straight.
A File. To smooth out the steerer tube cut.
Cassette Installation tool.
Bottom Bracket install tool.
A truing wrench. To make sure the rims are true.

Good idea to have:
Cone wrenches (to adjust the cones on the hubs if necessary)
Truing stand. (again, expensive but a godsend)

ARE YOU BUILDING YOUR OWN WHEELS?

KNOWLEDGE. Putting a bike together may not be as easy as you think. It takes some expertise to do a good job. Learning on a 100 dollar headset (chris king) may be a good way to make an expensive mistake.

Originally posted by etbroughton
I've been shopping used bikes on e-bay and am gettin frusterated with the quality of bikes I'm seeing for what we can afford. So I'm going to try building from frame up. Any suggestions where to start, what measurements I need to know, ect

I did just that this summer, and there's not a big chance that you're going to get a cheaper bike that way.
To gain/save something by assembling yourself you need to have some/all of the below:
- very specific requirements
- access to parts at lower than retail prices
- consider it a privilege to hand-pick each component and be willing to pay for this privilege.
- have access to some bike-specific tools, or consider them as an investment that isn't a part of bike cost.

It's quite fun though.

Some of the responses suggest you have hacksaws, bearing cup presses, etc. Maybe I misunderstood, but if you "really" intend to build a bike yourself, don't forget the torches, brazing materials, etc. You can "build" a bike yourself by carefully shopping the sales from a host of internet bike shops; once you get all the pieces together, a reputable pro bike shop will put it together for you for abou $100 to $140, depending on whether they have to cut the steerer tube. All told, you can build a better bike with absolutely no generic junk for 30-40% less than if you bought a comparable bike from a bike shop.