How do I start riding?

Droadranger

Aug 30, 2007
I've decided to start riding a road bike. Where do I start? Is there a good guide I can buy to learn the basics? How do I choose the right bike? I guess.. what I'm asking .. Is there a one-stop resource I can use to get started?

> I've decided to start riding a road bike. Where do I start?

I think you found a good spot. There are some great FAQ's for anyone who wants to dig a bit. I just went through the process you seem to be headed for.

> Is there a good guide I can buy to learn the basics?

I think someone else could probably direct you to a good book for beginners. I haven't purchased a one. I've probably had the bulk of my questions answered here, by friends, local shop guys or stuff I see in magazines or TV.

> How do I choose the right bike?

The best advice I got from everyone here was to start going to all your local shops and trying out different bikes. They will help you with sizing and even basic questions. If they take an elitist attitude with you, it's probably not the place you would like to buy a bike from. Some things that determine the right size or bike for you include:
a.) How much you have in your budget.
b.) How tall, inseam length, upper body and arm length.
c.) Are you going to be riding for fun/general excercise or do you have asperations to get into some races?

> I guess.. what I'm asking .. Is there a one-stop resource I can use to get started?

I don't think there is a one stop spot for anything that people are so passionate about. I've found this site, and many individuals personal websites or blogs to be loaded with great information.

So tell us a bit more about yourself. I'm sure there may be people in your area that read these forums.

Dave

Droadranger said:
I've decided to start riding a road bike. Where do I start? Is there a good guide I can buy to learn the basics? How do I choose the right bike? I guess.. what I'm asking .. Is there a one-stop resource I can use to get started?