how do i stop the soreness??

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Mark Potter, Jun 24, 2003.

  1. Mark Potter

    Mark Potter Guest

    hi all im going to be participating in the "Norwich 100" ride in aid of the British heart foundation
    on Sunday and I have a question

    After about 25 or so miles I find that I start to get sore between my legs where my "sit bones" rest
    on the saddle, is there any way I can help alleviate this ??

    Thanks in advance Mark

    Tags:

  2. Msa

    Msa Guest

    "Mark Potter" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > hi all im going to be participating in the "Norwich 100" ride in aid of the
    British
    > heart foundation on Sunday and I have a question
    >
    > After about 25 or so miles I find that I start to get sore between my legs where my "sit bones"
    > rest on the saddle, is there any way I can help alleviate this ??
    >
    > Thanks in advance Mark

    More miles Padded shorts a must Assos chamois cream (also known as ass cream!) or vaseline prior to
    ride. New saddle if all else fails. What saddle have you got...not a big fat, wide 'comfy' one with
    springs I hope?

    Mark

  3. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 18:44:30 +0000 (UTC), "Mark Potter" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >After about 25 or so miles I find that I start to get sore between my legs where my "sit bones"
    >rest on the saddle, is there any way I can help alleviate this ??

    Method 1: Use a leather saddle (Brooks or Selle Rolls), and quality cycle shorts with (most
    important) no trollies. Check that your bars are the right distance from the saddle nose, the saddle
    top is more or less level and eschew at all costs any padded saddle, because this will cause Agonies
    in the Soft Tissues

    Method 2: Banish sore arse misery with New Improved Recumbents :)

    YMMV. Or more to the point YAMV.

    Guy
    ===

  4. M Series

    M Series Guest

    Build your time in the saddle up gradually so your back side hardens up. Too late for this
    year though !

  5. "Mark Potter" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > After about 25 or so miles I find that I start to get sore between my
    legs
    > where my "sit bones" rest on the saddle, is there any way I can help alleviate this ??

    In addition to what others have said, I have found you need to exercise and stretch a little while
    riding. Every few miles I pedal a few turns with my butt off the saddle, and the comfort has
    improved a lot. Just gotta remember to do it regularly, and start way before you begin to feel
    soreness. Same goes for numb hands (gotta rotate them on the bars and lift them up every now and
    then), although here I've had much less luck finding any long term solutions.

    Maybe that's obvious and you already do that, but then you haven't mentioned that in your post...

    Paul

  6. Nc

    Nc Guest

    "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Mark Potter" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > hi all im going to be participating in the "Norwich 100" ride in aid of the
    > British
    > > heart foundation on Sunday and I have a question
    > >
    > > After about 25 or so miles I find that I start to get sore between my
    legs
    > > where my "sit bones" rest on the saddle, is there any way I can help alleviate this ??

    > More miles Padded shorts a must Assos chamois cream (also known as ass cream!) or vaseline prior
    > to ride.

    Talcum powder helps some people if the soreness is sweat releated.

    > New saddle if all else fails.

    Not just before a long ride unless the old one is really dire.

    Add to the above, stand up off the saddle regularly - eg. try every time you freewheel to take the
    weight off your backside. Do this from the start, not from when it is sore !

    > What saddle have you got...not a big fat, wide 'comfy' one with springs I hope?

    NC

  7. Thus spake "M Series" <[email protected]>

    > Build your time in the saddle up gradually so your back side hardens up. Too late for this year
    > though !

    Get your bum off the saddle as much as possible. Make sure you always stand on the pedals whenever a
    bump or pothole approaches; the damage this does to your skin early in a ride will haunt you later.
    If it's hot, let the breeze cool your nether regions. Keep the skin really clean & soft.

  8. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    > Same goes for numb hands (gotta rotate them on the bars and lift them up every now and then),
    > although here I've had much less luck finding any long term solutions.

    Avoid resting on the 'V' between the base of your thumb and the rest of your hand. It is pressure on
    a nerve running through here which causes hand numbness. Tyr to put more pressure on the 'ball' of
    your thumb and/or the side of your palm. It worked for me.

    Also, don't use very squashy grips as they will mould to the shape of your hand and push
    into this 'V'.

    Simonb

  9. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Mark Potter" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > hi all im going to be participating in the "Norwich 100" ride in aid of the
    British
    > heart foundation on Sunday and I have a question
    >
    > After about 25 or so miles I find that I start to get sore between my legs where my "sit bones"
    > rest on the saddle, is there any way I can help alleviate this ??
    >
    > Thanks in advance Mark

    Mark, Ooooh that's gonna hurt...... I suffered the same problem with a Saracen gel 'racing' saddle I
    had put on my racer, replacing the solid plastic saddle that came with the bike. Symptoms exactly as
    you say. I did a 65 mile ride on it that I could barely finish because it had become so painful. The
    relief of standing up in the peddles occassionally was close to orgasmic! My wife very kindly bought
    me a Brookes leather saddle for my birthday, a week before I did the end to end at 100 miles a day.
    I managed to get out on it twice before I started the e2e. It immediately (on the ride home from the
    shop where I purchased it!) felt better than either of the previous saddles and I haven't looked
    back since. The word is that they take approx. 400 miles to 'run in' but as mine was more
    comfortable than the previous from day 1, I only ever experienced things getting better. It could be
    worth getting a Brookes before the ride, if you're quick and can get a test ride in before hand. I
    just got the entry level B17 and am more than satisfied. You should get some Proofide saddle
    'grease' as well to help condition and preserve the leather. Alternately, as other posters have
    said, stand up often throughout the ride. Don't wait for the pain before starting. HTH and good
    luck, hope it all goes really well for you. Dave.

  10. "Simonb" <sbennettatwiderworlddotcodotuk> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Avoid resting on the 'V' between the base of your thumb and the rest
    of your
    > hand. It is pressure on a nerve running through here which causes hand numbness. Tyr to put more
    > pressure on the 'ball' of your thumb and/or
    the
    > side of your palm. It worked for me.
    >
    > Also, don't use very squashy grips as they will mould to the shape of
    your
    > hand and push into this 'V'.

    ..unfortunately I'm past that. My pinky and ring fingers still get numb every once in awhile. I must
    be pinching a different nerve. This is with bar ends and gloves, too.

    Paul

  11. Thus spake "Pawel Slusarz" <[email protected]>

    > "Simonb" <sbennettatwiderworlddotcodotuk> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...

    > > Avoid resting on the 'V' between the base of your thumb and the rest
    > of your
    > > hand. It is pressure on a nerve running through here which causes hand numbness. Tyr to put more
    > > pressure on the 'ball' of your thumb and/or
    > the
    > > side of your palm. It worked for me.
    > >
    > > Also, don't use very squashy grips as they will mould to the shape of
    > your
    > > hand and push into this 'V'.

    > ..unfortunately I'm past that. My pinky and ring fingers still get numb every once in awhile. I
    > must be pinching a different nerve. This is with bar ends and gloves, too.

    Yup, that's the ulnar nerve.

  12. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    > My pinky and ring fingers still get numb every once in awhile. I must be pinching a
    > different nerve.

    Your pinky and ring fingers are connected to the nerve I was talking about. It's a common problem.

  13. Terry

    Terry Guest

    > After about 25 or so miles I find that I start to get sore between my legs where my "sit bones"
    > rest on the saddle, is there any way I can help

    a Liberator type saddle I find is very comfy and reduces urethral soreness, while being strange
    enough to remind you to lift off the saddle often for as long as seems reasonable.Good paddy pants
    such as Lusso's are essential I would say.Don't sweat, wear as little as possible ( it is june) and
    consider generous vaseline skin prep.No underpants. I've had a hammered numb painful perineum most
    when using a very hard ,or deep and soft, saddle and sitting on it without lifting off much.I now
    tend to look after my bum so well that my main concern is hand pain after 6hrs or so. Terry J

  14. Paul Kelly

    Paul Kelly Guest

    "Simonb" <sbennettatwiderworlddotcodotuk> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > Same goes for numb hands (gotta rotate them on the bars and lift them up every now and then),
    > > although here I've had much less luck finding any long term solutions.
    >
    > Avoid resting on the 'V' between the base of your thumb and the rest of
    your
    > hand. It is pressure on a nerve running through here which causes hand numbness. Tyr to put more
    > pressure on the 'ball' of your thumb and/or the side of your palm. It worked for me.

    the nerve in question goes through the band of ligament that holds the tendons operating the fingers
    - the 'Carpal tunnel' Pressure on that nerve through (eg) cycling or rating your wrist on the desk
    when operating a mouse can cause Carpal Tunnel Syndrome - numbness in thumb, F1, F2 1/2F3. Worst at
    night and in severe cases needs an operation to release the pressure.

    I used to find cycling nearly impossible as after a few miles only the little finger on my right
    hand had any feeling, making braking somewhat difficult. Bar ends to alter the angle of the hand
    worked for a while...

    PK - complete with heat little scar on my right wrist....

  15. "Simonb" <sbennettatwiderworlddotcodotuk> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > My pinky and ring fingers still get numb every once in awhile. I must be pinching a different
    > > nerve.
    >
    > Your pinky and ring fingers are connected to the nerve I was talking
    about.
    > It's a common problem.

    I've read your original message more thoroughly, and initially I was thinking about the "V" between
    thumb and index finger, which is not what you actually wrote. I'll look up ulnar nerve in some
    anatomy book and try to stay off its path. Thanks for your answers everyone.

    Paul

  16. "Paul Kelly" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > the nerve in question goes through the band of ligament that holds the tendons operating the
    > fingers - the 'Carpal tunnel' Pressure on that
    nerve
    > through (eg) cycling or rating your wrist on the desk when operating a
    mouse
    > can cause Carpal Tunnel Syndrome - numbness in thumb, F1, F2 1/2F3.
    Worst at
    > night and in severe cases needs an operation to release the pressure.
    >
    > I used to find cycling nearly impossible as after a few miles only the little finger on my right
    > hand had any feeling, making braking
    somewhat
    > difficult. Bar ends to alter the angle of the hand worked for a
    while...

    From brief reading of anatomy websites that I just did, that's the median nerve. I don't seem to
    be pinching that just yet. The nerve involved in my case seems to be ulnary nerve, responsible
    for F3, F4.

    P.

  17. In article <[email protected]>, Pawel Slusarz wrote:
    > "Paul Kelly" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >> the nerve in question goes through the band of ligament that holds the tendons operating the
    >> fingers - the 'Carpal tunnel' Pressure on that
    > nerve
    >> through (eg) cycling or rating your wrist on the desk when operating a
    > mouse
    >> can cause Carpal Tunnel Syndrome - numbness in thumb, F1, F2 1/2F3.
    > Worst at
    >> night and in severe cases needs an operation to release the pressure.
    >>
    >> I used to find cycling nearly impossible as after a few miles only the little finger on my right
    >> hand had any feeling, making braking
    > somewhat
    >> difficult. Bar ends to alter the angle of the hand worked for a
    > while...
    >
    > From brief reading of anatomy websites that I just did, that's the median nerve. I don't seem to
    > be pinching that just yet. The nerve involved in my case seems to be ulnary nerve, responsible
    > for F3, F4.
    >
    > P.

    I agree with this analysis, but I've never managed to work out my own case. I don't get any problems
    with hands or feet in normal cycling but when descending long Alpine passes both my hands and my
    feet become quite numb; the numbness wears off as soon as I begin pedalling again at the bottom.

    AC

    --
    <<|
    http://www.ocd.org.uk