How do I true my ROLF wheels?

Bob s.

May 9, 2003
Ok, I've got a trek 5200 bought this spring. I used to be a bike mechanic a long time ago, so I kinda know what I'm doing. When I went to true the wheels, I encountered NO nipples! I'm surmising they are under the tire (what brain came up with that idea) but I'm also pretty sure they won't be using my spoke wrench. I'm also guessing they aren't just needing a screw driver, so what am I up against? Is it a special tool? How do I adjust the spokes on these rims? Also, any tricks to the paired spoke wheel? I've never done this type of wheel before.
Thanks for any help, advice, etc. you can provide. I'd much rather do it myself than a shop.
--Bob

Short answer is - you don't true these yourself. Many Trek dealers still have a Rolf certified wheelbuilder on staff, might check with them and see what the cost is. I've crawled all over the net, and have yet to find anything that outlines building or truing Rolf wheels. If you find anything, let me know, I'm curious as to the finer details of how these wheels are built.

I believe actually torquing the spokes requires a deepwell 5mm socket, and you have to remove the tire and rim tape to get to the nuts. Reason the nuts aren't exposed on the spoke side - more aerodynamic. You will also need a spoke locker - to keep the aero spokes aligned. Don't know where you can find one of those.

Seems like a lot of fuss, but I've been riding my Rolfs for over a year, bought them used, and they're still very straight. I've heard of people riding them for several years and never needing truing. Only downside to these wheels is the very stiff ride, but I have to admit - they will scream on the downhills.

Wow, I can't believe you have to go to a certified ROLF wheel guy. I do agree this bike is FAST, I love it. I'm just surprised that they didn't mention this when buying the bike. Thanks for the help!
--Bob

You do not need to go to a 'certified' mechanic. We do them here every once in a while and we do not een sell Trek.

You just need a special spoke wrench. Much like the Campagnolo wrenches. Campy uses the same design.

Once you have the right tool you just true as usual.

Rolf like many companies are informing buyers of such things to make more profits. A wheel is a wheel.