How do I turn my old bike to become an advantage

thebogan

Aug 24, 2003
Hello,

I'm early 20's, and a bit unfit.

I have a 20 year old (recreational) road bike.. increadibly heavy with old-style gearing. If I want to start training, is it ok to start on that for a number of months.. my problem is that I cannot afford a new bike.

How do I make the most effective use of this crappy bike I have?
How can I turn this in to an advantage?

Thanks for your time
Tim

thebogan said:
Hello,

I'm early 20's, and a bit unfit.

I have a 20 year old (recreational) road bike.. increadibly heavy with old-style gearing. If I want to start training, is it ok to start on that for a number of months.. my problem is that I cannot afford a new bike.

How do I make the most effective use of this crappy bike I have?
How can I turn this in to an advantage?

Thanks for your time
Tim

Riding hard and long up hills especially on an old and heavy bike must be one of the best training programs around.

Just get out there and ride till the bike dies. Save your pennies in the mean time.

I've got an old bike I use just for training. It's a little heavy, I carry a pump on the frame, lights, saddle bags, old heavy wheeels, and even a camera mount on the handle bars. Trying to ride that as fast as my TREK5500 is a good workout. (It's bloody fast downhills too).

:eek:

As long as you keep up with your maintenance and know the handling traits of your steed, and train intently, the two of you can do just about as well as the person who just bought a knew one and doesn't have it practiced out yet.
Obviously the new bike would be an improvement, but I have made top 5 finishes on decades old heavies(enhanced slightly of course). Assuming you have good maintenance, the older roadies have efficiency to die for, just not on climbs. Maximise your climb training, but be ready to use your advantages: Descents and flat-out-speed.

Also be ready for a lot of really funny looks when you pass people on said bike:D

Another thing:
When training, calibrate your mind and body to heavy wieght by carrying more wieght. I prefer on a rack if its available. In a backpack is alright but the effect is more dramatic when its on the machine.
Then when competition or tours come up, take off your wieght and boom, it feels like a ferrari. Doesn't matter too much on flats, but it is very effective on hill training. Just watch the descents(On that note, invest in new brake pads, they age).

You didn't tell us just what kind of bike you have. Just be careful if your bike is really heavy. It is easy to lose interest in cycling when your bike is tough to ride, heavy, or has tires that take 30 PSI. Save up some money for that good used bike, and you will find yourself riding more often and farther than ever before. I found my 1996 cannondale R-600 for 300 bucks last July, and I already have 700 miles on it!