How do I unclip pedals while climbing?

mbear37

Mar 27, 2004
Well, I'm starting to feel more comfortable with these clipless pedals. I'm able to get out of them relatively easily- no crashes yet!! However, I tried climbing a hill the other day and I got so slow that I wanted to at least have the option of putting my feet back on terra firma. But I couldn't do this because whenever I stopped pedaling, the bike would nearly stop and consequently I would start to fall over before I could unclip. So I ended up getting up off the saddle and hauling up the hill. While this is great for my bike fitness, I would like to know how you guys get out of your clips on the hills when your legs have had enough? I'm considering keeping my left foot clipped in and riding up tough hills unclipped on my right.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

mbear37

As far as I know there isn't any real trick to it - you just have to be able to unclip deftly enough not to fall. Try practicing on a hill right at the start of a ride when you're fresh - that way, at least you'll still have a reasonable amount of control. Changing down a gear or two when you want to unclip also helps to counter the fact that you need more torque on a hill.

Originally posted by mbear37
Well, I'm starting to feel more comfortable with these clipless pedals. I'm able to get out of them relatively easily- no crashes yet!! However, I tried climbing a hill the other day and I got so slow that I wanted to at least have the option of putting my feet back on terra firma. But I couldn't do this because whenever I stopped pedaling, the bike would nearly stop and consequently I would start to fall over before I could unclip. So I ended up getting up off the saddle and hauling up the hill. While this is great for my bike fitness, I would like to know how you guys get out of your clips on the hills when your legs have had enough? I'm considering keeping my left foot clipped in and riding up tough hills unclipped on my right.

mbear37

just practice unclipping fast, and dont unclip while climbing, a good way to smash all of youre know what on your saddle or top tube, and ruin your day or week

Yes, you have to learn to unclip FAAASSSSTTT!!!! I've had these problems in the past and the only is to do it as fast as you can. I guess practice can help but your determination to unclip because you know if you dont do it fast enough, you bike: frame and everything, will get dents or scratches from tipping over because you didnt unclip fast enough.

Everybody else is right: you just have to feel comfortable unclipping fast. Practice makes perfect and learning on something other than a hill is best.

Do make sure that if you have pedals with an adjustable release tension (many Look pedals, for example, have this), that it's tuned pretty low so the pedals are easy to get out of.

(Side note: I now commute on MTB shoes and Speedplay Frogs. For the frequent clipping in/clipping out, standing, walking, trudging through mud, etc., these are a dream. But they definitely make me forget that unclipping from my Look's is a different story...)

How about unclipping fast when the crankarm is at the bottom of the circle?

That should give you a little bit more time before the bike halts, providing you keep the motion of the other foot.

I have never been up a steep enough mountain that requires stepping off, so I don't really know just how quick you have to be.

Oh, the reason is, I tend to avoid anything with a gradient steeper than 1%!!!

I have a long steep driveway that I climb at the end of each ride. At first I was scared to finish and would walk up. Eventually I used what momentum I had climbing to allow for time to get out of my pedals. Its very easy and if I can do it anyone can. Practice getting out quickly. I would just cruise the neighborhood and get in and out of the pedals. Remember as with all things in life plan ahead and you'll be fine.

I understand your trepidation being new to clipless pedals, but if you are going up a steep incline there is a huge benefit to being clipped in. The very nature of being able to use your hamstrings for a pulling upstroke would be essential to the climb. It would actually be more dangerous trying to climp unclipped with the possiblity of sliding a foot off the pedal. Just keep practicing and clipping in and out will soon become second nature. I knew I had mastered clipless pedals when I was mid-air on my mountain bike doing an endo, yet still popped out before I landed! It does become second nature, an instinctive reflex.

I've learned that in climbing, it's best to mentally plan every minute action proactively. Plan and time shifts perfectly to minimize how much monentum you loose during shifts and to keep your cadence smooth. If you start planning a few seconds ahead of a stop, you can de-clip on foot in the second you have to coast to a stop, and lean to that side.

mbear37

While being fast is one thing, being smarter than the bike is another...
The next time you are in this situation try the following...

(If you are unclipping with your right foot first)
When your left foot has reached the "top" of its zenith and you begin to push down/forward with your left foot, clip out with your right foot while your left leg is doing all the work.
You may need to also use your "pulling" talent with your left foot if your right foot is not out of the clip fast enough and you still need another revolution of the crank to get out.
Transfer of power to one leg alone, while the other does what is necessary is usually easiest and requires less fast-action to get results.
In my opinion anyhow;)

Try turning the bike so that you're perpendicular to the hill, then unclipping. When you turn the bike this way, you're no longer "climbing" and can unclip while the bike is rolling.

mbear37

If traffic permits turn around and go down the hill and then unclip.
:)