How do suntour index friction shifters work?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by big Pete, Sep 9, 2004.

  1. big Pete

    big Pete New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2004
    Hi all,

    I have suntour index friction shifters on my bike. I would like to know how they work as in how to change them from index to friction and back? I played with them and I took the back shifter off and put it back on, it changed from index to now friction. What happened to make it do this? Magic? I did not touch the internals. Should I be looking for a missing peace on the floor of work area?

    Thank you very much

    Pete

    Tags:

  2. big Pete <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I have suntour index friction shifters on my bike. I would like to know
    > how they work as in how to change them from index to friction and back?
    > I played with them and I took the back shifter off and put it back on,
    > it changed from index to now friction. What happened to make it do
    > this? Magic? I did not touch the internals. Should I be looking for a
    > missing peace on the floor of work area?

    IIRC,

    1. Loosen top screw - the piece usually has a molded rib or D-ring
    or something running across the top. You can loosen this with
    fingers, not a tool.

    2. Turn collar under the top screw so the mark lines up with
    either the friction or index marking.

    3. Tighten the top screw back down.

    Different from Shimano shifters, where you can turn the collar
    without loosening the screw.

    Do your users want the best web-email gateway? Don't let your
    customers drift off to free webmail services install your own
    web gateway!
    -- See http://netwinsite.com/sponsor/sponsor_webmail.htm ----

  3. big Pete

    big Pete New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2004
    Thank you very much for the info.

    I think what happened is I did not notice that the collar changed position when I took the shifter off.

    Pete