How do the pros hit those top speeds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In article <dBGDa.1791$2A2.958@lakeread05>, [email protected] says...

>Ahh, the Bear Mtn descent. That probably is faster than Fitchburg, and only slightly less scary. My
>first experience with that was in the rain.

Even more interesting when you consider that hair pin turn at the bottom.
-----------------
Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

"Tom" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Brad Wrote:
> > As a junior in the Wachussett stage of Fitchburg our pack topped out at
> > 60. It was DAMN scarry, and I don't think I'd even want to do it again, but it is definately
> > possible. If you slap on a 53x11 or 12, you'd be amazed how long you can keep pedaling
> > (especially if you have a good, smooth pedal stroke) -- even at very high speeds.
>
> I am 73 and just happen to have a 53/11 gear; and, I routinely hit close
to
> 50mph coming down 9% grades here in the Davis Mountains. The 'younger' guys with 52/39/30 12/25
> are surprised when I pass them.
>
> Tom

During the Giro de Italia, Phil, Paul and Bob reported several times that the Peleton was moving in
excess of 55 mph on the flats!

I was also wondering how they do it as I can't do that going down a steep, long descent.

I would sure like to ride with you Tom.

Dashii

[email protected] wrote:
>>I don't think they do hit those speeds -- the commentators are exaggerating.
>>
>>JT
>
>
>
> I remember a few times during last years Tour when the peleton was on the flats and the camera
> shoed the motorcycles speedo and it indicated 70-80 km/h while it was beside the group.
>
> That seems pretty fast for flats.

Triathlon training camp, last weekend. Flat road, slight tail-crosswind, chasing an elite triathlete
who was off the front on aero bars. Uncalibrated speedo on my bike showed 70kph on the flat, other
riders showed 68kph. I was on the front on the drops, we held that for about 1 min max. Chase over.

In training rides here, we routinely do 96-100kph on the descent of the Kilmog, about a 2km 10%
descent, rough road. STF

Dashi Toshii <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Tom" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> Brad Wrote:
>> > As a junior in the Wachussett stage of Fitchburg our pack topped out at
>> > 60. It was DAMN scarry, and I don't think I'd even want to do it again, but it is definately
>> > possible. If you slap on a 53x11 or 12, you'd be amazed how long you can keep pedaling
>> > (especially if you have a good, smooth pedal stroke) -- even at very high speeds.
>>
>> I am 73 and just happen to have a 53/11 gear; and, I routinely hit close
> to
>> 50mph coming down 9% grades here in the Davis Mountains. The 'younger' guys with 52/39/30 12/25
>> are surprised when I pass them.
>>
>> Tom

> During the Giro de Italia, Phil, Paul and Bob reported several times that the Peleton was moving
> in excess of 55 mph on the flats!

Perhaps in their enthused state they forgot that the feed was giving them KPH?

> I was also wondering how they do it as I can't do that going down a steep, long descent.

> I would sure like to ride with you Tom.

> Dashii

Alexander Lackner wrote:
> IIRC, Armand De Las Cuevas claimed an 120+ km/h maxspeed readout on his computer after a Giro
> descent, defending the pink he was wearing at the time.
>
I claim a 138 km/hr max speed readout while descending, about 10 years ago. I suspect it was a
computer error, and I suspect De Las Cuevas's readout was an error also.

> I've hit 60 (96 km/h) in a race, and 93 km/h in a training ride with a pack (it's a lot easier
> with a bunch). The descents were < 3 km, but quite steep. The road surface was pretty bad in the
> race I remember, but a few of us were chasing to get back on, after having gone *up* that hill.
> Australians who are reading might be familiar with the hill: Fitz's Hill in the Canberra Two Day
> Tour. It's a mongrel.
>
> As for 120 km/h, I think that's stretching things a bit...

I can confirm 106kph (that is kilometres per hour) an a descent on a bike down Fitz's hill.

I was once driving the lead car for Mens's B grade in the Canberra Tour. I had to make sure I was
well clear of the bunch for the Fitz's desecent. There was no way I could drive down there as fast
as a bunch can ride (or roll in a tuck)

Allan

[email protected] wrote:
>>I don't think they do hit those speeds -- the commentators are exaggerating.
>>
>>JT
>
>
>
> I remember a few times during last years Tour when the peleton was on the flats and the camera
> shoed the motorcycles speedo and it indicated 70-80 km/h while it was beside the group.
>
> That seems pretty fast for flats.

During last year's Vuelta, the camera motos showed 80 kph by the Aqua Sapone train before the
sprint, but the conventional wisdom is that the motos weren't truly keeping pace with the bikes.

I'd buy 40 mph for a pro peloton on flats, but not 45 without harder info. I'm not a pro, but it was
all I could do to touch 40mph on flats with a very strong tailwind last year. (Though a trip to
analyticcycling.com now makes me doubt it. I've calculated 220W from me in a time-trialish
situation, assuming a pro puts out 400W, they only get to low 30's.)

--
--
Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall "I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we
could to protect our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security." --Microsoft VP in
charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.

In article <[email protected]>, Raptor <[email protected]> wrote:

> [email protected] wrote:
> >>I don't think they do hit those speeds -- the commentators are exaggerating.
> >>
> >>JT
> >
> >
> >
> > I remember a few times during last years Tour when the peleton was on the flats and the camera
> > shoed the motorcycles speedo and it indicated 70-80 km/h while it was beside the group.
> >
> > That seems pretty fast for flats.
>
> During last year's Vuelta, the camera motos showed 80 kph by the Aqua Sapone train before the
> sprint, but the conventional wisdom is that the motos weren't truly keeping pace with the bikes.
>
> I'd buy 40 mph for a pro peloton on flats, but not 45 without harder info. I'm not a pro, but it
> was all I could do to touch 40mph on flats with a very strong tailwind last year. (Though a trip
> to analyticcycling.com now makes me doubt it. I've calculated 220W from me in a time-trialish
> situation, assuming a pro puts out 400W, they only get to low 30's.)

I do 400-500+ watts during the finale of 35+ 1,2,3 criteriums so I'd assume the pros are alot higher
than that.

-WG

warren wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, Raptor <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>I'd buy 40 mph for a pro peloton on flats, but not 45 without harder info. I'm not a pro, but it
>>was all I could do to touch 40mph on flats with a very strong tailwind last year. (Though a trip
>>to analyticcycling.com now makes me doubt it. I've calculated 220W from me in a time-trialish
>>situation, assuming a pro puts out 400W, they only get to low 30's.)
>
>
> I do 400-500+ watts during the finale of 35+ 1,2,3 criteriums so I'd assume the pros are alot
> higher than that.
>
> -WG

5-ish miles from the finish, and not just the final k?

--
--
Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall "I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we
could to protect our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security." --Microsoft VP in
charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.

"warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:050620032241570053%[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, Raptor <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > [email protected] wrote:
> > >>I don't think they do hit those speeds -- the commentators are exaggerating.
> > >>
> > >>JT
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > I remember a few times during last years Tour when the peleton was on the flats and the camera
> > > shoed the motorcycles speedo and it indicated 70-80 km/h while it was beside the group.
> > >
> > > That seems pretty fast for flats.
> >
> > During last year's Vuelta, the camera motos showed 80 kph by the Aqua Sapone train before the
> > sprint, but the conventional wisdom is that the motos weren't truly keeping pace with the bikes.
> >
> > I'd buy 40 mph for a pro peloton on flats, but not 45 without harder info. I'm not a pro, but it
> > was all I could do to touch 40mph on flats with a very strong tailwind last year. (Though a trip
> > to analyticcycling.com now makes me doubt it. I've calculated 220W from me in a time-trialish
> > situation, assuming a pro puts out 400W, they only get to low 30's.)
>
> I do 400-500+ watts during the finale of 35+ 1,2,3 criteriums so I'd assume the pros are alot
> higher than that.

I disagree.

No one puts out more wattage than the Masters Fattie category.

"Allan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
> I can confirm 106kph (that is kilometres per hour) an a descent on a bike down Fitz's hill.
>
I believe you! I wasn't taking any risks and actually used the brakes. That cattle grid at the
bottom is rather a hazard...

Jeff

"Stewart Fleming" <[email protected]> wrote in message >
> Triathlon training camp, last weekend. Flat road, slight tail-crosswind, chasing an elite
> triathlete who was off the front on aero bars. Uncalibrated speedo on my bike showed 70kph on the
> flat, other riders showed 68kph. I was on the front on the drops, we held that for about 1 min
> max. Chase over.
>
> STF
>

I N C R E D I B L E ! Mark Lee

> >
> > I do 400-500+ watts during the finale of 35+ 1,2,3 criteriums so I'd assume the pros are alot
> > higher than that.
>
>
>
> I disagree.
>
> No one puts out more wattage than the Masters Fattie category.
>
>
Yeah, its gotta take more power to move all that extra weight down the road!

Mike

On Fri, 6 Jun 2003 06:37:00 -0700, "Mike S." <mikeshaw2@coxDOTnet> served the following to
the group:

>
>
>> >
>> > I do 400-500+ watts during the finale of 35+ 1,2,3 criteriums so I'd assume the pros are alot
>> > higher than that.
>>
>>
>>
>> I disagree.
>>
>> No one puts out more wattage than the Masters Fattie category.
>>
>>
>Yeah, its gotta take more power to move all that extra weight down the road!
>
>Mike
>

not really. once it gets going the inertia takes over, just like a biiiig flywheel

Threeships Mcduck lato di gomma giù, lato lucido in su www.mothership.co.za

"Dashi Toshii" <[email protected]> wrote:

>During the Giro de Italia, Phil, Paul and Bob reported several times that the Peleton was moving in
>excess of 55 mph on the flats!

They probably saw some counters indicating 55 and forgot that in the civil world people use kmph
and not mph

You have that backwards. I wish everyone would use the metric system but that certainly does not
make the Americans and Brits any less civilized. I love Italy, but there it is far less civilized
than any country using the imperial system of measurement.

Hey, you are the one that brought it up.

"Davide Tosi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "Dashi Toshii" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >During the Giro de Italia, Phil, Paul and Bob reported several times that the Peleton was moving
> >in excess of 55 mph on the flats!
>
> They probably saw some counters indicating 55 and forgot that in the civil world people use kmph
> and not mph

"Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote:

>You have that backwards. I wish everyone would use the metric system but that certainly does not
>make the Americans and Brits any less civilized. I love Italy, but there it is far less civilized
>than any country using the imperial system of measurement.

Where in Italy have you been? If you talk about anything south of Rome, you are more than right. If
you are talking about Lombardy or any other Padan region, that must be a joke.

>"Davide Tosi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> "Dashi Toshii" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> >During the Giro de Italia, Phil, Paul and Bob reported several times that the Peleton was moving
>> >in excess of 55 mph on the flats!
>>
>> They probably saw some counters indicating 55 and forgot that in the civil world people use kmph
>> and not mph
>

"Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote:

>You have that backwards. I wish everyone would use the metric system but that certainly does not
>make the Americans and Brits any less civilized. I love Italy, but there it is far less civilized
>than any country using the imperial system of measurement.

And BTW, Italy is not the only country using the metric system. I have been many times in the UK and
in the rest of Europe and I can very well say that countries like Switzerland, Holland, Germany,
Norway, Denmark or the Flemish part of Belgium are more civilized than the UK.

I am just giving you are hard time.

"Davide Tosi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >You have that backwards. I wish everyone would use the metric system but that certainly does not
> >make the Americans and Brits any less civilized.
I
> >love Italy, but there it is far less civilized than any country using the imperial system of
> >measurement.
>
> Where in Italy have you been? If you talk about anything south of Rome, you are more than right.
> If you are talking about Lombardy or any other Padan region, that must be
a
> joke.
>
>
> >"Davide Tosi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...
> >> "Dashi Toshii" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >>
> >> >During the Giro de Italia, Phil, Paul and Bob reported several times
that
> >> >the Peleton was moving in excess of 55 mph on the flats!
> >>
> >> They probably saw some counters indicating 55 and forgot that in the
civil
> >> world people use kmph and not mph
> >>

Status
Not open for further replies.