How Do These Airborne Specs Look?

Quoting Mark Hickey <[email protected]>:
>David Damerell <[email protected]> wrote:
>>You cannot have more braking than that, so the theoretical brake "power"
>>(which tandems find out, with surprising results) is quite irrelevant.

>An interesting (to me, at least...) data point is that I designed my
>new tandem around regular road caliper brakes, never having been
>really happy with the performance of canti brakes on my previous
>tandem.

Certainly plain ordinary calipers can work just fine, but did you try
fiddling with the straddle cable? I've got it as high as will just permit
me to bottom out the lever (higher, and you're just getting lower
mechanical advantage; lower, and the input force is lower, as I'm sure you
know) with maximum grip, and the front brake is certainly good enough to
produce an alarming DOING sensation from the front fork...

[The back brake's a Suntour self-energiser, so I've no idea how well a
conventional canti works on a tandem.]
Today is Gaiman, July - a public holiday.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

>As for the seat, I've never known a bike seat to be "comfortable," so
>anything the least bit ergonomic gets my attention.

You are falling for ad speak. You need to figure out what makes the saddle
uncomfortable for you, and then find a saddle that addreses that problem.
Sometimes, it is only a matter of properly adjusting the saddle you have
on the bike, not getting a new one.

>Seriously, how do the specs look? I want my shifts to shift right
>away,

Most modern shimano drivetrains shift really well, even the really cheap ones.

>and I'm leery of the claiper brakes...but I'm only just
>above-average when it comes to bike knowledge and know-how, so I was
>hoping you could help.

There is nothing wrong with caliper brakes. What are you concerned with them?
-------------
Alex

-
>See, this is what I don't understand...ALL bikes are inherently
>uncomfortable to me -- it's just a terrible position; I'm sure I've got
>a lot of nerve damage in the crotch already! =( And my back is ALWAYS
>worse off after extended riding. I take it like a running injury --
>can't be eliminated, even if minimized.

You really should get sized for a good fit. It's worth paying for the service.
You will be a much happier rider.
------------------
Alex

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
-
>See, this is what I don't understand...ALL bikes are inherently
>uncomfortable to me -- it's just a terrible position; I'm sure I've got
>a lot of nerve damage in the crotch already! =( And my back is ALWAYS
>worse off after extended riding. I take it like a running injury --
>can't be eliminated, even if minimized.

You really should get sized for a good fit. It's worth paying for the service.
You will be a much happier rider.
------------------
Alex

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
-
>See, this is what I don't understand...ALL bikes are inherently
>uncomfortable to me -- it's just a terrible position; I'm sure I've got
>a lot of nerve damage in the crotch already! =( And my back is ALWAYS
>worse off after extended riding. I take it like a running injury --
>can't be eliminated, even if minimized.

You really should get sized for a good fit. It's worth paying for the service.
You will be a much happier rider.
------------------
Alex

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
-
>See, this is what I don't understand...ALL bikes are inherently
>uncomfortable to me -- it's just a terrible position; I'm sure I've got
>a lot of nerve damage in the crotch already! =( And my back is ALWAYS
>worse off after extended riding. I take it like a running injury --
>can't be eliminated, even if minimized.

You really should get sized for a good fit. It's worth paying for the service.
You will be a much happier rider.
------------------
Alex

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

>LOL -- actually, I simply have no idea what it means to be "fit to a
>bike"...what, they take out the tape measure like at the tailor's?

Yes. That's exactly it.

>> Overly padded bike saddles are generally not
>> comfortable on longer rides. Another thing, two brands of bike with
>> the same size listing, may be very different. Geometry and where they
>> measure, affects this.

>Wow, this is worse than buying clothes and shoes!

No, it's very similar. Just like clothes, it is best to try it on and see
how it fits when you use it.

>33, very fit (cardio and anaerobic), been riding since like 13, commute
>two hours four days a week and/or ride for six hours on the weekend
>exploring the NYC area. I don't wear padded shorts.

Padded shorts would help in the comfort area. Get a decent pair.

>Sorry, biking alway's been a "pick-up-and-go" affair for me...never
>imagined it's can be such a science for amateurs!

A little effort up front will pay off for a long time afterwards. It is not
really that complicated.
-----------------
> [...]

Yes. That's exactly it.

>> Overly padded bike saddles are generally not
>> comfortable on longer rides. Another thing, two brands of bike with
>> the same size listing, may be very different. Geometry and where they
>> measure, affects this.

>Wow, this is worse than buying clothes and shoes!

No, it's very similar. Just like clothes, it is best to try it on and see
how it fits when you use it.

>33, very fit (cardio and anaerobic), been riding since like 13, commute
>two hours four days a week and/or ride for six hours on the weekend
>exploring the NYC area. I don't wear padded shorts.

Padded shorts would help in the comfort area. Get a decent pair.

>Sorry, biking alway's been a "pick-up-and-go" affair for me...never
>imagined it's can be such a science for amateurs!

A little effort up front will pay off for a long time afterwards. It is not

I submit that on or about 22 Jul 2005 20:56:55 -0700, the person known
to the court as "NYC XYZ" <[email protected]> made a statement
(<[email protected]> in Your
Honour's bundle) to the following effect:

>As for the seat, I've never known a bike seat to be "comfortable," so
>anything the least bit ergonomic gets my attention.

I have.

http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/web/public.nsf/Documents/bike_optima_stinger

But I have also known saddles to be comfortable (admittedly I rarely
ride more than 100 miles in a day). The Brooks B17N works for me.

Guy