How do we get rid of these adverts?

Discussion in 'Power Training' started by grahamspringett, Dec 22, 2007.

1. grahamspringett

grahamspringett New Member

I enjoy poring over the questions and answers in this forum and I object to all these spam ads.

Do we have a moderator who can get rid of them?

Tags:

2. Cycler6n

Cycler6n New Member

yeah, under the persons screen name, there should be a report spam button, I've hit it a few times:p

3. bbrauer

bbrauer New Member

That's the thing. We need a moderator. Wanna volunteer? [​IMG]

4. frenchyge

frenchyge New Member

Ric Stern moderates the forum, and there might be others. There is also an administrator by the name of Admin Steve who's stepped in to shut down a thread of stamp out a flame war on occasion.

My guess is that they're busy or taking time for the holidays, but the spam is flying pretty thick these days. :(

5. frenchyge

frenchyge New Member

I use that one liberally, and suggest that others do too. I figure if the 'report spam' inbox starts filling up then maybe it'll get someone's attention that there's an issue to be looked at.

6. root

root New Member

The forum software should allow you to hide all posts made by a certain user (i.e. kill file the user), which would effectively allow you to never see spam.

I hope the forum software can upgraded with that feature.

Right now, you can hide the messages (by adding the user to your "Ignore" list), however their posts are still shown in the top level forum message list.

Also, complaining about spam to the admin is only good if admin actually reads the messages, which doesn't seem to be the case here.

7. frenchyge

frenchyge New Member

Presumably the "Report Spam" messages (link under the username in a post) are sent somewhere so that the administrators don't have to browse the threads.

8. root

root New Member

That's exactly what I mean. They are sent to the admin, but apparently he doesn't read them :).

9. Roadie_scum

Roadie_scum New Member

Well done jamesbikerblog - fighting spam with spam!

10. F1_Fan

F1_Fan New Member

Wow... I take a 6 month break from this forum and return to find it nearly unusable due to spam. I hope some sort of moderation happens soon... this was the best forum I'd found for power tips.

11. Terry Ferguson

Terry Ferguson New Member

The titles seem pretty obvious. If you're getting the forum by email, hit delete. If you log in direct to the forum (like I do), don't open them. Am I missing something? - TF

12. bbrauer

bbrauer New Member

Actually, yes. You seem to be missing the fact that there are now about 8 spam threads for every two legitimate ones. There's no reason for there to be any spam threads. I'm a regular on other forums and there isn't this problem.

I'm still curious to know why the search function was removed, too.

13. Tim Lamkin

Tim Lamkin New Member

I think they are all on vacation.. it is sad ...the spam crap :rolleyes:

14. frenchyge

frenchyge New Member

I clicked on a username this morning to find more posts by that user and got a message saying "Searching has been disabled due to high server load, please try your search again in a few minutes." I suspect the search link has been removed for the same reason -- high server load probably due to spam.