How do you build big quads while cycling?

wiredued

Aug 17, 2004
Can you build big quads riding a bike or do you have to lift wieghts? I like riding better than weight training. Is there a program that can do it?

wiredued said:
Can you build big quads riding a bike or do you have to lift wieghts? I like riding better than weight training. Is there a program that can do it?

Lots of hills, especially low cadence in high gears will help, but probably not too good for the knees.

I had a feeling that was the answer, I think I may have solved my knee trouble with a little calcium citrate everyday to make sure calcium intake exceeds phosphorus so I will give it a try. Although hills are almost as bad as lifting weights.:) I just went to a cyclocross race recently and I noticed MTBers have bigger quads than the road bikers maybe MTB is the way to go the more resistance the better.

eric_the_red said:
Lots of hills, especially low cadence in high gears will help, but probably not too good for the knees.

wiredued said:
Check out this thread, there's been quite a debate going on regarding weightlifting and cylcing, it doens't pertain to your question exactly, but you should find it usefull. It appears that do short all out sprints would be one of the only ways to gain strength on a bike. http://www.cyclingforums.com/t197007-periodizationperiodisation.html

I guess muscle building is just endurance training turned inside out. If I take the long way home there is a mean nasty hill on the way gonna need studded snows now though just had an ice storm here time for indoor pedal mashing.

OCRoadie said:
Check out this thread, there's been quite a debate going on regarding weightlifting and cylcing, it doens't pertain to your question exactly, but you should find it usefull. It appears that do short all out sprints would be one of the only ways to gain strength on a bike. http://www.cyclingforums.com/t197007-periodizationperiodisation.html

wiredued said:
Are intervals the same thing?
I really don't know what pure sprinters do for training, I just recognize that they seem to have the largest quads in the pack. If you want big quads, do what they do.

You'd probably benefit from weight training if you don't mind hitting the gym. That's probably the quickest way to gain muscle mass.

One thing that you have to consider is for what purpose are you looking to increase the size of your quads? If you're doing it because you think it will make you a better roadie, tackle the hills. If you're doing it just because you want bigger quads, stick with the weights.

As muscle size and mass has little to do with power and strngth - at least as far as cycling is concerned- a balanced weighy training regime is what's required.

Strength training for cycling should focus on leg exercises that "mimic" cycling movements. Exercises like the squat, single legged leg press, step-up and seated calf raise are ideal. In cycling, maximum force is exerted when the angle of the knee is roughly 90-100 degrees; that is, when the crank is in the forward position and parallel to the ground. So do not bend the knee below 90-degrees in these exercises.

You also want to strengthen your back and abdomen. The seated row, crunch and lat pull-down are good for strengthening your "core" cycling muscles.

Bigger isn't always better

My wife says I have chicken legs and I agree. Can't stand weight training leg workouts but love riding the bike.

Shreklookalike said:
One thing that you have to consider is for what purpose are you looking to increase the size of your quads? If you're doing it because you think it will make you a better roadie, tackle the hills. If you're doing it just because you want bigger quads, stick with the weights.

If you want big quads you have to get off the seat. Use it only to keep your ballance. Hill climbers and sprinters are never on the seat.
Ride Hard

Thought provoking it makes sense, I Haven't looked at it that way before.

peet9471 said:
If you want big quads you have to get off the seat. Use it only to keep your ballance. Hill climbers and sprinters are never on the seat.
Ride Hard

You are only going to develop muscle mass if you exhaust the target muscles in the range of 8-15 repetitions and repeat (sets) until totally spent.

Quite impossible on a bike no matter the gearing or hill. Head for the gym if your objective is only cosmetic as it will not improve your cycling unless you are a track sprinter

I am only 20 5,9 and a 12 stone sprint cyclist, sprint cycling requires powerful quads so I started weight training with squats when I was 18 with thighs of around 19" now after two years I have thick thunder thighs of 28" the power they give you is amazing but you have to be prepared to put in the hard graft as pain comes with gain as I found out tree trunk style!

This is the dead thread revival of the month, a 7 year old electronic corpse brought back to life.

I'll get over it, but I reckon forums should put a big notice on the registration pages with something like: "Dear new member, if you've joined this forum to contribute to a topic you found on Google, please check the date that the topic was last discussed. If the topic is more than X years old, please do not revive it."

:)

Reactions: alienator
Well since it's been raised from the dead...

Ride your bike to the nearest gym. Skip the leg extensions and proceed directly to the squat rack. Select a weight that allows you to squat 6-10 repititions and do that 4 or 5 times. Cycle home. Repeat twice weekly occasionally adding more weight until quads are the desired circumference.