How do you carry your spare tube and tools on a long club ride?

throckmorton

Nov 6, 2011
I'm wondering where people stash their spare tube, air delivery device (CO2 cartridge or pump) and other items (multitool, tire lever, etc) when going on long club rides. I'm getting tired of carrying this stuff in my cycling jersey but that's what everybody seems to do in my club. Is a small bag under your seat so tacky?

Mate I will go for the small pack under the seat, at the end of the day who cares what other people thinks, you ride for you not others innit..:D

I've never quite understood why people don't use a saddlebag. I always keep two co2 cartridges, two tubes, co2 chuck, 1 lever, 1 multitool permanently in my saddlebag. i use my jersey for wallet, phone, keys, food, mini pump...

Originally Posted by dare- .

I've never quite understood why people don't use a saddlebag. I always keep two co2 cartridges, two tubes, co2 chuck, 1 lever, 1 multitool permanently in my saddlebag. i use my jersey for wallet, phone, keys, food, mini pump...
In a lot of cases, I think the reason people choose not to use a saddlebag is because they think it looks "uncool". In my saddlebag, I've got one inner tube, 3 CO2 cartridges, two levers, and a patch kit.

Originally Posted by throckmorton .

I'm wondering where people stash their spare tube, air delivery device (CO2 cartridge or pump) and other items (multitool, tire lever, etc) when going on long club rides. I'm getting tired of carrying this stuff in my cycling jersey but that's what everybody seems to do in my club. Is a small bag under your seat so tacky?

I don't carry much. My tool kit is not much larger than 3 tire levers. I seldom use them. I carry 2 tubes in a plastic bag. It all fits into 1 pocket. But in the distant past, when I was doing long solo rides, I carried more gear and had a seat post bag.

One good reason for putting tools in a pocket is that I examine then and make sure that all the tools are there. I have been in the position of taking tools out of my seat post bag and setting them on a bench and then riding off the following day without tools. I guess if one has a seat bag set of tools and a home set of tools there is less chance of that.

---

Long club rides stop every couple hours for food and water. There is seldom any need to carry much stuff in back pockets.

You can can use electrical tape to attach your spare tube levers and C02 inflator to your seat post. Myself I use a saddle bag and carry a few more goodies.

FWIW. For people who think a seat bag is tacky, they can consider using a small, triangular frame pack that fits beneath the saddle OR they can sacrifice one of their water bottles & carry the small stuff in a topless-or-wide-mouth water bottle or in a made-to-fit-in-the-cage container which is designed to fit in a water bottle cage.

Originally Posted by alfeng .

FWIW. For people who think a seat bag is tacky, they can consider using a small, triangular frame pack that fits beneath the saddle OR they can sacrifice one of their water bottles & carry the small stuff in a topless-or-wide-mouth water bottle or in a made-to-fit-in-the-cage container which is designed to fit in a water bottle cage.
Ooh, that's even tackier. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

Just fasten the bag securely so it doesn't swing wildly from the saddle like the rear view of the running of the bulls at Pamplona. And NEVER hang gear off the fastening straps and zipper pulls. Keep it all inside.

It's funny. I've seen a few Garmin pros training around here, and they all had their little Fizik toolbags hanging from their Fizik saddles. I guess nobody told them.

Originally Posted by oldbobcat .

It's funny. I've seen a few Garmin pros training around here, and they all had their little Fizik toolbags hanging from their Fizik saddles. I guess nobody told them.
I guess no one told them they were supposed to be role models for fashion princesses.

When I'm riding my bike, I can' t see what's under my seat, so how it looks doesn't matter to me. My seat bag certainly does free up space, which is especially useful on those days with long rides and conditions so changeable that the leg warmers and arm warmers have to eventually come off.

Well, if you blow a hole in the rear of your riding shorts, just because you can't see it doesn't mean it's not tacky. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/eek.gif

I am one of those vain people who does not like the way a saddle bad looks. I always package my tube CO2 and money in a nice neat bundle held together with a produce rubber band. Most the people I ride with do use saddle bags. Which way is right, well they both are. If you don't like putting them in your jersey then you need to get a saddle bag.

I have ridden with 100's of different riders and they all carry there stuff a little different. I have never heard anyone comment in a negative way about how this is done so get a saddle bag and if the group you ride with is negative you need some new riding partners.

Reactions: tottenham21
Originally Posted by jpr95 .

Well, if you blow a hole in the rear of your riding shorts, just because you can't see it doesn't mean it's not tacky. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/eek.gif
I wipe my ass at least once every week so that if I get a shorts blow-out, my ass won't look tacky. Instead, it'll look quasi-clean...perhaps a bit moist....but definitely nearly clean.

One way to look at it is that anyone looking at your under-saddle bag is behind you /img/vbsmilies/smilies/cool.gif Maybe if they were more concerned about riding and less concerned about fashion, they'd be in front of you and wouldn't have to look at your tool kit.

Originally Posted by Myosmith .

One way to look at it is that anyone looking at your under-saddle bag is behind you /img/vbsmilies/smilies/cool.gif Maybe if they were more concerned about riding and less concerned about fashion, they'd be in front of you and wouldn't have to look at your tool kit.
I'd give Victoria Pendleton money if she'd let me gaze at and fondle her tool kit.

Originally Posted by alienator .

I'd give Victoria Pendleton money if she'd let me gaze at and fondle her tool kit.
You better be careful what you pay for. She very well may allow to fondle the tool kit she is using for herself.

Originally Posted by davereo .

You better be careful what you pay for. She very well may allow to fondle the tool kit she is using for herself.
That's the idea. I'd be her tool kit and would be perfectly happy to be in her saddle bag. In all the pictures I've seen, she's got a great saddle bag.

Originally Posted by alienator .

I wipe my ass at least once every week so that if I get a shorts blow-out, my ass won't look tacky.
Whether it needs it or not, too.

Decades ago we fashioned little bindles for our spare tubular tires (and anything else we wanted to get in there) and fastened them to the saddle with an old toe strap. Badly packed, unconsolidated gear makes me nervous. If it's all tucked away and fastened securely, well, I'll ride with you.

Originally Posted by oldbobcat .

Whether it needs it or not, too.

Decades ago we fashioned little bindles for our spare tubular tires (and anything else we wanted to get in there) and fastened them to the saddle with an old toe strap. Badly packed, unconsolidated gear makes me nervous. If it's all tucked away and fastened securely, well, I'll ride with you.
That's the way I roll. On the odd occasion in the past when I was without a saddle bag, all by flat stuff (tube, CO2 cartridges, patch kit) would go in a ziplock bag. The only thing I've ever carried that wasn't in a saddle bag or a back pocket was, like you, a spare tubular. Alas, I fastened mine with a nylon toe strap and not leather. I've seen folks strap jackets and the like to saddle bags, and I try to keep a distance from those folks.

Originally Posted by dare- .

I don't use a saddle bag for two main reasons. The first is that they rub against my shorts which fluffs them up. The second is that tubes get damaged either from being pinched by the zip or just from moving around in the saddle bag for month and months.

Now I just carry a small pump that is secured next to the bidon on the down tube as well as carrying one spare tube and mobile phone in my jersey pockets. With the modern generation of tyres I can go years without punctures.

Originally Posted by cheetahmk7 .

With the modern generation of tyres I can go years without punctures.

I have to agree here. Flats today are like an event I never forget. Years ago they were a constant hassle erased from my memory.