how do you change tyres??

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by juggling_unicyclist_joe, Apr 8, 2005.

  1. hi
    i have had my tyre changed many times by my local bike shop and i am
    intrested in knowing how to do it myself to save the cost of them doing
    it for me.

    an someone please let me know how to change my regular 20"x1.85" tyre to
    a nice fat onza sticky fingers 20"x2.40" tyre?

    thanks very much joe

    --
    juggling_unicyclist_joe - trials rider
    juggling_unicyclist_joe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9599

  2. ColDawG

    ColDawG Guest

    just purchase some tire levers from your LBS (local bike shop) or an
    outdoors store like R.E.I.
    Just use those to pry each side of the tire out, and if you don't know
    exactly how, just watch/ask the bikeshop guys. Some tires are big enough
    that you can pry them off w/o tire levers, but when I'm riding, I always
    bring my tire levers and a patch kit in order to fix flats. (To fix
    flats just pry off one side of the tire and pull the innertube out)
    good luck,
    hope this helps

    --
    ColDawG - Level 4 after 2 months

    Looking for MUni buddies!
    ColDawG's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9503

  3. Mikefule

    Mikefule Guest

    1) Deflate the tyre.
    2) remove the wheel.
    3) Push the valve stem as if you were trying to push it all the way
    through the hole (in fact, you're just breaking any "stiction" there
    might be.)
    4) Work round the tyre, pushing the edges of the tyre towards the
    centre line of the wheel, to break the contact between the tyre bead and
    the rim.
    5) Starting diametrically opposite the valve, use a tyre lever to hook
    the bead and lever it out of the rim, on one side of the wheel only.
    Don't pull it all the way, just make a gap.
    6) Using another tye lever, lever out the next bit of bead (so the
    levers should be only 2 - 4 inches apart (5 - 10 cm).
    7) Once you have an "edge" you can quickly remove the rest of the
    bead.
    8) You have now removed one side of the tyre.
    9) Carefully pull out the inner tube.
    10) PUll the valve through the hole in the rim.
    11) You have now removed the tube.
    12) You should now be able to remove the other tyre bead easily. Use
    levers if necessary.
    13) You have now completely removed the tyre and tube.
    14) Check that the rim tap is in position. This stops the ends of the
    spokes digging into the tube. Also, make sure that the valve hole in
    the rim tape is positioned over the hole in the rim!
    15) Fit one side of the new tyre. You shouldn't need levers.
    16) Carefully insert the tube, valve first, then making sure that the
    tube is evenly around the rim, not folded or twisted. (Hint, a little
    bit of air in the tube helps.
    17) Push the valve stem down.
    18) Important: starting at the valve, put the second edge of the tyre
    into the rim. Make sure that it seats comfortably, and is not trapping
    the base of the valve stem.
    19) Working first one way then the other, put the rest of the tyre bead
    into the rim.
    20) Important: be careful to work evenly, and not to let the tyre drag
    the tube so that the valve projects from the hole unevenly. It should
    be at right angles to the rim.
    21) Important: you will end up with a little bit of the bead that is
    not back in the rim. This should be diametrically opposite the valve.
    22) Work your way round the entire tyre, pushing the walls together
    with finger and thumb to seat the tyre properly, and to ensure maximum
    slack for when you put that last difficult bit in.
    23) You should now be able to push that last difficult bit in. If you
    have to use levers, be careful not to trap and tear the tube.
    24) Double check that the tyre is evenly seated all the way round the
    rim.
    25) Inflate the tube, checking that the valve isn't trapped or under
    any tension.
    26) have a nice cup of tea and a biscuit.

    --
    Mikefule - The first cuckoo of unicycling

    Sumer is icomen in, loud sing Mikefule!

  4. James_Potter

    James_Potter Guest

    juggling_unicyclist_joe wrote:
    > *i have no tyre levars is there anything else i can use to get it off?
    > *

    you should really buy some from your bike store. they're very cheap. but
    if you choose not to, screwdrivers will work. except you probably need
    someone to help you, and it's really hard, and there's a slight risk of
    popping the tube.

    --
    James_Potter - betcha can't stick it!

  5. loosejello

    loosejello Guest

  6. s7ev0

    s7ev0 Guest

    My dad always swore by nice, rounded end handled spoons in place of tyre
    levers. They work for me, too. Some spoons are a bit namby-pamby
    though, and bend far too easily. Plastic spoons are a definite no-no,
    wooden spoons are too clumsy and ladles are just over the top.

    :)

    --
    s7ev0 - ************

    We fell out of trees, got cut and broke bones and teeth, and there
    were no lawsuits from these accidents. They were accidents. No one was
    to blame but us. Remember accidents? ~ GILD
    s7ev0's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7310

  7. Mikefule

    Mikefule Guest

    Money spent on good tools is never wasted.

    Money saved by bodging is usually spent on repairing the bodge.

    A set of tyre levers costs about as much as a takeaway meal, and loads
    less than a CD. For goodness' sake, don't be a cheapskate. Buy the
    levers.

    --
    Mikefule - The first cuckoo of unicycling

    Sumer is icomen in, loud sing Mikefule!

  8. john_childs

    john_childs Guest

    Mikefule gave a very nice and clear description on how to change a tire.
    That should be a keeper for the FAQ.

    Here's two other tire changing guides that are on the web:
    'Tire changing guide at parktool.com'
    (http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQtires.shtml)
    'Tire changing guide at sheldonbrown.com'
    (http://sheldonbrown.com/flats.html)

    The trick to removing and installing a tire it to realize that the
    center of the rim is usually a smaller diameter than the outer part of
    the rim. Many rims have a bit of a "V" shape inside.

    The trick is to push the tire down into the bottom of that "V" on one
    half of the rim and work the tire levers on the opposite half of the
    rim. Pushing half of the tire down into the bottom of the "V" gives you
    a few extra millimeters on the other half of the rim which makes it
    easier to get the bead of the tire up and over the lip of the rim. See
    the attached drawing.

    And do use real tire levers. Never use a tool like a screwdriver cause
    you'll surely puncture the tube or damage the tire. A set of basic
    plastic tire levers is cheap. Under $3 (USD) for a set of 3. The heavy
    duty metal tire levers that are useful on the heavy DH tires like the
    Gazz are a little more (about $10 each).

    | Attachment filename: tire changing tip.gif |
    |Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/297132|

    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com

  9. harper

    harper Guest

    I would like to add only one thing. If it is at all possible to remove
    and install the tyre without the tyre irons, don't use them. The fewer
    things you have stuck in there the less likely you are to puncture
    something. I can do a Gazz with cheap plastic tyre irons. I can do a
    standard Coker entirely by hand, no tools. Every possibility in between
    exists. Some people like to use liquid soap on particularly stubborn
    tires. I strongly recommend staying away from soap or any other
    substance that likes to disolve water (KY Jelly for instance is water
    soluble.) Vaseline or some light grease might help in this situation.
    Keep water away from the inards of the wheel whenever possible to
    prevent corrosion of spoke nipples, preservation of the rim strip and
    the such.

    --
    harper - TANKED at GASWORKS

    -Greg Harper

    B L U E S H I F T

    "My world view has come crashing down like a drunk clown on a giraffe,
    riding through a cactus patch..." -evil-nick on "Entry of the
    Gladiators"