How do you choose an appropriate seat post length?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by CyclinYooper, Jan 22, 2011.

1. CyclinYooper

CyclinYooper New Member

I've currently got a cheap 31.6x300mm seat post on my bike. I'm looking at upgrading to a 3T Dorico Team seatpost (mostly because it's affordable, pretty light, and has the 25mm offset that I need). Anyway, they come in 280mm and 350mm. Can I use the 280mm? Or do I have to use the 350mm?

On my current setup, about 130mm is exposed above my seatpost clamp (leaving 170 in the tube).

Thanks, Scott

Tags:

2. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

Assuming the seatpost clamps are not all that different in height then you can assume you'll still have about 130mm exposed above the seatpost clamp, which for the 280mm seatpost will leave more than that (130mm) in the seat tube... which will be plenty. Normally, expect to leave about a 1/3 of the post in the seattube - with most of that preferably below the point where the seat and toptubes meet.

As you can see the MIN point is about a 1/3 of the way up the post.

[​IMG]

3. Peter@vecchios

[email protected] New Member

150mm in the tube is plenty. The 280 will be fine.

4. 531Aussie

531Aussie Well-Known Member

I dunno about these days, but the old 'rule' I was told was that the bottom of the post had to at least go passed the bottom of the top tube.

[​IMG]

5. kdelong

kdelong Well-Known Member

All but the cheapest seat posts have a minimum insertion mark on them. Don't get one that requires you to ride with the minimum insertion mark above your seat tube clamp. If you get on 3T's website, you will probably find the dimensions of the seat post including the length of the seat post above the minimum insertion mark and see if that works for you.

6. CyclinYooper

CyclinYooper New Member

Thanks for the help guys. I ordered a 280 and I'll give it a shot!

Scott